“Renovated June 2012. But don’t expect the Taj Mahal.”

Motel 6 Carlsbad South
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had 2 rooms at the Motel 6 at the end of July and paid $125/ night weekend Tax IN and $86/night week night. In contrast San Diego had rooms in the mid to high $200 range at the same time. We opted for the ½ hr drive to San Diego to save some money.

Despite the renos this is barely a 2 star any way you cut it. We arrived on a Sat and stayed for 2 nights. They removed all the adjoining rooms in the renos (Boooo!). The Motel 6 brand attracts all the usual budget seeking colorful characters from hookers and pimps to surfers, to families needing cheap accommodations to make ends meet. Along with that on a weekend comes noise, drinking, garbage and the other usual annoyances. The linens were a joke. Paper thin sheets, towels that were hard and scratchy not to mention only 2 towels per room. No shampoos only basic soaps. Typical Motel 6. Having said that it was very clean.

Having said this, I got my money’s worth. I expected less, got more than what I thought I would and if the circumstances were similar I would stay here again.

Here`s the stats for those wanting the concise version:

Curb Appeal: 4/10
Housekeeping: 6/10
Safe Atmosphere: 3/10
Staff Friendliness: 5/10
Pool: 5/10

I want to say that this hotel is nice and clean. Rooms had fresh paint, laminate floors, counters and the beds looked new. The rooms are very small by modern standards. TVs were new flat screens in an ugly enclosure to prevent theft and only had limited very basic cable.

The pool was outdoors no hot tubs. Seemed OK. Lots of people using it during the day.
The lobby was not clearly marked and is on the south side of the building. At night staff are barricaded in behind bulletproof glass lending to an impression the area isn’t safe. We arrived at night and there were lots of teens and people hanging around drinking alcohol everywhere. Never saw a security guard at any time. Surfers having a tailgate BBQ in the parking lot…and wouldn’t share 

During the day maintenance people were buzzing around cleaning up from the previous night.

The rooms had paper thing walls and ceilings. We could hear the people above us stomping around all night. There is a plaza mall about 300 yards south of this place that has a Jack In the Box and El Pollo Loco place to eat and also a pharmacy. Lego land is 5 min away as are the Outlet malls in Carlsbad. There’s a Walmart about 5 min north.
If you find this review helpful please click helpful below. Godspeed in all your travels!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Saskheat

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed several nights at this motel and was pleasantly surprised. Do not expect many amenities. It is not fancy in any way. I had no problems with the beds but would have liked a heavier blanket.
Pros-
Clean/ modern rooms
A/C
Free parking
Large TV
Location
Room service
No cancellation fee up to 12pm the day before/ no penalty for changing reservation
Cons-
very thin blankets

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nerual
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been to this particular Motel 6 more times then I can remember over the past 12 or more years. I don't much like Motel 6 in general, but I stay there because it's an easy place to be with the dogs....until THIS TIME.

Traveling with my same dogs and had a reservation for 4 nites. They put me in a NON-SMOKING room (as requested) and then put SMOKERS (heavy smokers and like 5 of them) in the room next to me, so by the next day I was unable to breath...I insisted they put me in a new room, which they did.

Then after the 2nd night I go to pay for the next two nights and I was told I was BANNED FROM MOTEL 6!!! WOW! NO REASON. I was STUNNED...WTF?!?!?!?

After being insistent, I was told my dogs barked! I told the person they were dogs, they would bark when people go by the room making noise, or pounding...the entire interaction was very odd.

I reiterated; "I am banned from ALL Motel 6s throughout the country" and was told YES!

I then left and called Guest Services and they were stunned. They apparently did not get straight answers from this location as to what was behind this 'ban', but they put me at a different property and told me that there is no way I am banned from Motel 6.

I then indicated to them that 'oh by the way', two of my dogs are medical therapy dogs and at this point, I feel they have violated any number of laws.

So, not sure what it was all about, but I felt that dogs at this one were really NOT WELCOME...in fact, I saw very few dogs during my 2 nights there, where I generally see dogs everywhere.....

I'm also not thrilled with the chain...so will see if I can't find another chain that is dog friendly and cares more about their guests and caring for their properties.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've stayed at many motel 6's, and this one is pretty much the same. Location is very convenient, clean rooms, pleasant staff and affordable rates. I also like being able to book on the day of arrival without having a higher rate to pay because of the time limit. This property was clean, staff was quick and nice, and the rooms were fine. For short trips it's perfect. Close to the beach (walking distance...15/20 minutes) and close to the 5. Good for all kinds of trips.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

At first I thought it was going to be a bust because I was put in a room with a noisy heating and cooling system fan--you know the kind--a nice beat but you wouldn't want to dance to it, or dream with it all night. I checked with the front desk and they immediately moved me to a better room. The room was clean and comfy and the desk service was welcoming and friendly. This motel was a delight for someone looking for nice bargain accommodations. I did not care about the pool, which didn't look inviting and was closed, and probably wouldn't have liked a room on the freeway side. They seem to be undergoing a lot of renovations, so it should be even better for future folks. I found it easy to get around the area from there and there was a shopping center nearby with decent sit-down fast food choices.

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side if you can and turn on the A/C and heating to see if it's going to be qui...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Service was friendly, room and grounds where clean. A little bit of freeway noise since it’s right next to the freeway. It didn’t bother us, but it could be an issue with others. The Benihanas across the street is a great place for dinner. Room was clean, small, no frills, no coffee maker but got the job done. In April 2013 there were replacing all the mattresses, which they needed it badly. They do have a pool if your family is so inspired. Very easy access on and off the freeway.

Room Tip: If freeway noise is an issue, pick a room on the west side away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm writing this review while still staying at this hotel. I found this hotel in a website that listed tractor-trailer friendly hotels. Before I booked the stay I also searched for a promotion code and I got the hotel at a cheaper rate. When I got here, there is not a specific area destined to tractor-trailers. These large vehicles can park outside, on the main street. However, a nice lady which I assume is the manager allowed me to park the truck in the back of the hotel near the freeway. Since I don't mind the freeway noise, I also requested a room in the back to keep an eye on the truck and turn it on every once in a while. I had no issues checking in, the room is decent and clean. You won't find a 5-star decoration or anything like it, but it's clean, no items are broken and it doesn't smell. The bathroom is clean and fully working. The surroundings were also clean, and well kept. Overall it served the purpose and it was a positive experience.

Across from the hotel is Benihana, a Japanese restaurant. They prefer guests to make reservations and since we didn't know that tidbit we had to wait about an hour before being seated on a table for hibachi dinner. Overall I thought it was way too pricey. The chefs cook one thing at a time and you might end up like us, eating cold food while you wait for all the items to get to the plate. There's a possibility it was because it was a Saturday. We did try the sushi and it was good! Benihana didn't do it for me. But today we went to TGI Friday's in Palomar Airport Rd and the food was Amazing!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple