“Nice time at the Lacosta......”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
CT
“Nice time at the Lacosta......”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

My daughter and her friend, who are both 15 years old, and myself arrived at the Lacosta resort on June 23rd . When we arrived are room was ready. the bellman took our bags to our room right away. The room was very clean upon arrival. We had a resort room, 2 queen beds,very comfy I might add!A very nice bathroom! The tub was very deep, which I love! There was a seperate glass shower, robes for the 3 of us were hung in the closet also. We had plenty of towels, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. cottonballs and Q-tips were in the bathroom also. The TV was very nice, (flat screen). We did get room service a couple of times. the food was very good. The pools were nice. Not the best I have seen, but they were clean. Just on the small side for the amount of people at the resort. The health club was great. I was able to get in 4 workouts! There are 2 resturants at the resort. Good, but VERY expensive. Buffet breakfast is $25.00 per person. I did treat myself to a deep tissue massage. It was wonderful! Hope this helps!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank ReneeN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Korean first
fortworth, texas
Reviewed July 18, 2007

My husband, 4 yr. old daughter and I stayed at La Costa for 4 nights and loved every minute of our stay. I was pretty nervous before we arrived because of some of the reviews I read, but we did not have any problems at all. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, every staff person we came in contact with was extremely nice and helpful.

After we checked in, we went to the Legends restaurant for dinner and were seated on the patio....what a view and the food was fantastic.

We sent our daughter to Kidtopia on Saturday while my husband played golf and I went to the spa. She had a blast, my husband loved the golf course and I had an extremely relaxing day at the spa.

I really can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay at La Costa and our trip to San Diego. We will definitely go back and will recommend it to all of our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank gracesmom2007
San Diego
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I booked a room at the La Costa resort two months ago, even though we are locals in San Diego. My husband had a conference at the resort, so we thought we would treat ourselves to a night away. When i tried to check in at the front desk, the woman I was dealing with said the room would not be ready until 4pm. We went to the main pool, which is now like Disneyland with wall to wall kids. There were no chaise lounges left. We then walked to another pool by the villas and there were plenty of chaises but no shade. The third pool had both but no towels and no bathroom to change into our bathing suits. At 4pm we were brought to our room , which had two beds in it instead of the king size bed that i had reserved. When i called the front desk, they told me , quite rudely, that that was all they had. We told them that we were not going to stay and ended up leaving. The room was dark, musty smelling and looked like a run down holiday inn room. For $375. you expect more than that and i expect people to be polite, especially in a service industry. The only person who i came across who had any kind of customer service in all of la costa was the bellman, Jose, who couldnt be nicer. We returned to our very nice and serene pool vowing to never return to La Costa. Whoever is running this resort needs to pull their workers at the front desk aside and give them some training in customer relations....awful!!!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank vickiSanDiego
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2007

La Costa is a beautiful property with nice rooms but a huge disappointment in service. There are three pools: one kid’s pool with sand bar, one adult/kid pool, and one adult pool at the spa. All three pools are very, very small but they are pretty. The whole entire property is jammed packed with people and they do not have the staff to handle the amount of people. We ate lunch at the spa and had to wait over an hour for our food and our champagne arrived after the meal. We did not even have a glass of water during our meal. Our room was dirty when we checked in and they were not pleasant about moving us to another room. It was a huge hassle. Then we went to dinner at the Blue Fire Grill and our food took two hours to come and when it did it was awful. The next day when we checked out we requested the valet to have our car ready. When we got there we had to wait one hour for our car and when my boyfriend went to ask how much longer he found our keys at the valet stand. The service is a huge disappointment and I would not recommend this property to anyone. Also, we spend over $700 for one night stay, dinner and two massages. It is not worth this much money.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank littlemissheidijo
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I spent Fathers' Day weekend at La Costa with my wife and two small children. From tee-to-green, so to speak, I couldn't ask for a better experience for Fathers' Day.

When we rolled in to the valet parking area at the front, it was apparent (to me anyway) that the valets have taken some of the previous reviewers' comments seriously. I have a couple of toddlers, and I was greeted quickly, amiably...and given enough time to unload all my gear. I wasn't rushed, as I often feel with the kids...but felt "attended" to. The valets were all wearing headsets to help with communications.

We spent Fathers' Day in the pool area during the morning, and I must say that the improvements here also left me stunned. My kids loved the beach pool, but we also spent a lot of time in an area with water features like a toddler slide and spray guns and such.

My wife left an hour later to get treated to a massage in the spa. (Mom gets a massage on Fathers' Day...), while I had in-seat food service delivered literally at pools' edge. We made a mess, but the kids loved it. By the way, my wife tells me the roman shower (is that what it's called?) is fantastic. They also gave her a free body scrub as part of the massage. Bueno.

At 2, I checked my kids into Kidtopia, an on-site day care facility. My 2 and 4 year old loved it, didn't cry (!!!), and mom picked em up shortly before closing-time at 4.

I then excused myself to the north course. Obviously, La Costa is a legendary course. They have signs sprinkled throughout the course reminding you of historic moments...like the time Tiger nearly holed-out on the 1st playoff hole that had been forced to the next day back in 97. It's a really, really nice course.

We booked a villa...and it was spectacular. You take a pleasant walk through manicured grounds to a private suite with marble-style kitchen, bueatiful bathrooms, and comfy beds. Do yourself a favor, if you're going to a high-end resort...stay in the high-end rooms (they're called Villas). It certainly is NOT the holiday inn...or whatever the previous reviewer called it.

All in all, great experience. Highly recommended....especially the villa!

• Liked — Lots of activities for the entire family
  • Disliked — Get a villa...trust me
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dqcvdtpda
Coto de Caza, California
Reviewed June 5, 2007

Have stayed in similar priced and catagory properties across the States and in other countries. The major disconnect here, as others have noted, is the surprisingly lackluster service. If you don't mind a rather slow, almost indifferent approach it will not be a negative for your stay. Otherwise, it could cause you some frustration and irritation. Agree with another reviewer that it is important to know your room's location prior to check-in. The construction noise and mess is literally at some buildings' boundaries. Be sure to book a renovated room. Others remain and are dark, dreary, and unappealing (no high definition tv and reception is terrible). A final comment that the traffic into and out of San Diego has grown to a bumper to bumper crawl. If you plan to spend time there, would highly recommend staying in town as a better choice.

• Liked — Attractive grounds.
  • Disliked — Poor service.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank longtimetraveler
nyc
Reviewed June 2, 2007

The landscaping is nice, and it looks good from the outside, but the rooms are mediocre and not well kept. The hallways and room kinda smelled, there were a lot of used roomservice trays outside rooms, and my room had some trash (a cufflink package) leftover from a previous guest. I'd also stayed there last year for a conference, and it wasn't so great.

1 Thank lules
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Omni La Costa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!