“Wonderful experience”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I really need not say much about this place. My partner and I stayed here for a friends wedding and have to say what a lovely place it is. Although slightly over-priced, and if you intend on buying anything on-sight think again because its all over-priced. Bring your own beers and put them in the fridge that gets provided in the room. They provide towels by all the pools, its just a great place to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 29, 2010

We checked in at 8pm after a long day at Lego Land. We had booked a newly renovated room, but when we checked in they gave us a stinky old room that looked worse than a motel in Mexico. They were rude at the front desk when we told them this is unacceptable and they would only offer to put us up in a newly renovated room if we paid a mu h higher rate. We usually stay at the four seasons but we thought we would try something new. DONT make the same mistake I did. Stay at the four seasons or now it's called the park hyatt.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank Ynavams
LaCostaTeam, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

Dear ynavams: Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We want all of our guests to be happy with their accommodations and certainly regret that we weren't able to provide you with a better experience during your visit. We will be debuting newly redesigned guestrooms and suites by March of 2011 and hope that you will consider taking a look at these guestrooms on your future travels to Carlsbad. Thanks again for your review, as we value all comments.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I spent last weekend at La Costa to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We had stayed at La Costa 2 years ago in September and recalled the resort as peaceful, beautiful and just the kind of place where we travel to on Friday and be able to enjoy the better part of the weekend at before coming home. When we arrived I was a little afraid - the resort was literally teaming with children (we have a 6 year old we left with Grandma & Grandpa) and the level of children noise was quite frankly at certain locations unbearable even though we are very familiar with kid noise!! We were checked in to a room that was old, not in a location which we had reserved and according to the front desk in a part of the resort geared for adults - think again!! And please tell the front desk staff to take a tour through the resort so when they check people in they actually know what the room looks like. 'Still, after my husband quietly complained and we were told our room type was sold out, Brooks, at the front desk moved our room, and applied a small daily credit to our room for the trouble. The room was nice and in a good location and definitely better than our first room. We enjoyed a fabulous day Saturday at the Spa - with the adults only pool- we highly recommend treating yourself to a spa treatment so you can have use of the facilities and avoid the kids and the noise at the larger pools. The food at the Spa was great, service good and truly relaxing. We love the Blu Fire Grill and enjoyed one night on the out door patio/bar for appetizer dinner and the second night on the restaurant patio followed by an after dinner drink at the bar. The service was fabulous and I really wish I could remember our servers name. He was by far the most attentive, without being anoying, server we have had at any restaurant and trust me we have frequented a few. We will definitely go back. I look forward to the new renovations. And can only hope that others continue to have good experiences at the resort.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2010

My experience was the worst. I was invited to the spa for a conference, and would not return again if they paid me.

Service was beyond LOUSY. We had to beg for the basic necessities, like fresh water. The head of the kitchen staff even lied to my face and stated that the water was fresh, when we all knew it was at the exact same level with the exact same empty tubes as before. Then they brought fresh water and ice and poured it over the old water from the day before. Our trash was overflowing and when I asked for them to empty it, the worker complained it was not his job, took it out and left us without a trash can for the rest of the day:( We ended up putting all the trash on a room service tray that they never picked up from 2 days before. The staff did nothing but complain as you saw them in the halls or in your room. I was never just asked if they can help me. It was like pulling teeth to get them to adjust the thermostat as the room temp was in the 80's.

The floors were dirty and there was no kleenex anywhere. I had to "borrow" it from the main bathroom in the hallway. The self parking is only paved half way and quite a haul. I do suggest valet parking, or camping gear if you park in the self park as it is extremely far from the front of the hotel front desk. If you are wondering why I have not mentioned any happy moments or feel good things that I believe the hotel has to offer, this is because there were none. You would have better service in a Motel 6, and you would have the rest of the bankroll that this hotel costs to really treat yourself in STYLE.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank sillylilly8
LaCostaCommunityMgr, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2010

Dear sillylilly8,

Thank you for your review of La Costa. We are sorry that your recent visit didn't provide the experience you were expecting and we appreciate that you've taken the time to share your comments with us. It sounds as if we could have done a better job of service on your trip. We take your comments to heart and thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to making it up to you in the future.

Best,
La Costa Management

Reviewed August 18, 2010

This was our second time at La Costa. We had such a wonderful trip our first time (last summer), we brought our friends with us this time. Both our friends and I have boys with severe life- threatening food allergies. Upon making the reservations and confirming two weeks ahead, I double checked that we would have a refrigerator (to store our childrens safe food prepared at home) and a microwave to heat their food. Eating at a resturant isn't at all safe for them. They reassured us that they would be in place upon our check in.

We came early to enjoy the pool which we did. Then it went downhill from there. When our room was ready we went in to shower and clean up for dinner. The refrigerator was not there. They bought us one, but it was not at all cold (and our food which was packed in ice had sat out in the sun all afternoon after asking for it to be stored indoors). The refrigerator took 24 hours to cool and then quite on us 10 hours later which we lost our food for our boys which had us scrabbling for a meal for them Thank goodness for Henry's Market. The microwave finally got to us and had our young boys eating at 7 PM which is late for them they were crying they were so hungry!

Our shower was moldy and when the hot water was running the worst smell came from the drain. They called the "engineers" up three seperate times to fix the problem. They poured bleach down the drain which stoped the smell from waffing in the room, but as soon as you would turn on the shower the smell would return! Not at all fixed. Adam at the desk said they were fully committed and coudln't do anything for us. At this point we were all tired. We turned on the air and it smelled musty and moldy! Yuck! Upon closer investegation we saw the baseboards were swelled and the carpet was stained as if ther had been a flood at one point. The paint was peeling off the wall in the bathroom and no exhaust fan!

Needless to say we were very disappointed with la Costa and terribly embarrassed we ever suggested it to our friends! We will NEVER stay ther again! Shame on whomever gives La Costa five stars. Three at best!

Pros.... the kids loved the pool and the slides. The wait staff at the pool was nice and prepared something special (blended ice and juice) and safe for our boys. The grounds were pretty and maintained (unlike the rooms). Shauna at the front desk checked us in and out and she was friendly as well!

La Costa did give us both a 50 dollar refund for our troubles.... We will try Park Hyatt Aviara next year!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank allerimom
LaCostaCommunityMgr, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Dear allerimom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the resort. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with the room during your stay, and are embarking on a room renovation very soon that will unveil new rooms in the winter of 2011. We look forward to the opportunity to make this experience up to you and your family in hopes to revert back to your visit in July of 2009 that you remember so fondly.

Best,
La Costa Management

Reviewed August 18, 2010

The La Costa Resort is a fantastic property, and our room was great, but the service is poor at best. We stayed for our wedding night, my wife needed an extra room key, called the front desk twice to get one, eventually had to go down and got it myself. Had to call a couple of times to get our luggage brought to our room, had an issue our server about a complementary brunch at the restaurant, the valet parking cars looked like he was under the influence of something, etc.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We just stayed here and had a great time. The resort was perfect for what we needed. The rooms are a little old and could use some work, but certainly not any major problems. Our rooms were in a perfect location - ground floor, and opened to a patio at the garden pools. This allowed my 4 and 1 year old sons to run around and play. The pools were great, especially the splash landing pools. Perfect for youngsters who aren't proficient swimmers.

As for restaurants, the two main ones had good kids menu and were definitely kid-friendly. I especially enjoyed sitting outside in the plaza and eating from the Blue Fire lounge menu. The kids were able to run around and not disturb anyone, and I was able to enjoy a good meal while listening to the live music.

The only draw back I can see is the resorts location. If you are just planning on going to the resort and not leaving it is perfect, but if you like to get out, I did feel a little isolated. Great for visiting Legoland, but it did take a while in traffic getting back from Sea World. Also I couldn't seem to find any great dining options in the area, outside of the resort.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
LaCostaTeam, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

Dear Megkfrank: Thank you for your review of La Costa. We're happy to hear that your kids enjoyed the pools and that your family vacation was a nice one. We also wanted to address the comment you made about your guestroom and let you know that La Costa has embarked on a compreehnsive redesign of all our guestrooms and suites. The makeover of our accommodations will be complete very soon (during the winter of 2011) so a freshly appointed room will await your next visit to La Costa.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Rancho Bernardo Inn
Rancho Bernardo Inn
#25 of 278 in San Diego
Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara, Carlsbad Ca.
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
The Lodge at Torrey Pines

Been to Omni La Costa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!