“There must be better venues for your annual company get together.”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed February 5, 2007

I stayed at La Costa for a company annual General Managers' meeting in January 2007. Having stayed in numerous similar hotels around the world I must say that I found this one to be particularly bland and seriously overpriced on the incidentals. $6.95 for the bottled water in the room and $11.00 for a pack of M&Ms from the mini bar to stave off hunger in the middle of the night! This just smacks of meanness.
Boxed lunches for the 40 or so of us at the meeting were fine but the dinners in the evening were pretty poor. The old adage, "the more you pay for food in the US the worse the value" seemed particularly appropriate here. Fussy and over elaborate on the first night; lukewarm All American cook-in on the second. The best food on this visit was a Burger King Whopper at Las Vegas airport on the way home!
Rooms are large and beds comfortable but they are really only a larger version of what you get in a Hampton Inn.
On the plus side, La Costa has the best gym I've ever come across in a hotel - everything you could want for.
All in all, there must be better places for your annual company get together than this.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank TedSalisburyUK

Reviewed February 4, 2007

Can't help but to agree with the reviews that stated how chaotic this place is! From the start of our weekend stay, until the end, we were constantly rolling our eyes in disbelief.
Starting with what they refer to as "valet" parking. There must have been 20 cars and 2 attendents. We had serious doubts about leaving our car in their hands, and rightfully so. When we retrieved the car a few hours later, we found that they had left the windows down (it was Feb. and cold!), and the valet lot was not a covered/secure structure.
The whole resort is one big maze. There is no adequate signage what so ever. Even the map that was handed to us at check in didn't bother to include walking/driving paths or specific room numbers. Trying to find ANYTHING was too much work! The only thing that was clearly marked were the models to the new timeshares they were desparately trying to sell!
The room itself was fine. Nothing 5 star at all, but an average 4 star. We had a "resort room", which was said to be one category up from the standard room. The bathroom was nice enough, but as stated by others, don't expect a lot of privacy from the slatted doors. Also, it was the loudest night I have ever spent in a so called "luxury" resort. The heating unit literally made a tick, tick, tick sound all night, and the comings and goings of guests were easily heard. Luckily, we got a weekend rate. If we'd have paid the $450 regular rate, I'd have felt completely ripped off!
And the spa... OH MY GOD! It was another maze of confusion and amateur management. No clear signage of where to sign in, where to go, etc.. The people working there were completely oblivious to the meaning of "spa experience". There was never a lack of employees, yet what any of them were there to do was a mystery. By 12pm the entire womens area was mess of dirty towels and cups (I even sat down next to a half eaten apple that had been left, for quite some time, on a table!) It was the first time that I was actually stressed out from being at a spa! Couldn't get out of there fast enough!
We had dinner at Bluefire Grill one night, and it also was less than average. 5 star prices, 3 star food and service. Breakfast room service took 1 1/2 hours and 2 follow up calls to be delivered.
If you're looking for a luxury resort to get away to and be pampered, stay at the Four Seasons. If you're getting a great weekend deal, and understand what you're getting for the money (chaos!), then stay at La Costa.

• Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank AmoItalia
Reviewed January 30, 2007

We stayed at La Costa only because the Four Seasons, where my conference was being held, was already booked.

La Costa negatives:

1. the rooms felt old compared to other high quality hotels

2. the strong smell of sulphur in the shower (aka "rotten egg smell") made us hurry to finish

3. be prepared to walk and walk and walk. And we visited during the mid-January cold blast. While they would pick us up in their little golf carts if we called, how can you call from the self park area in the middle of night...and if you did, you'd be more likely to start walking, anxious to get to your room, than to wait for the cart....brrrr...? (though the guys in the carts were just lovely and so accommodating when they saw us walking). Of course you can pay for valet parking...certainly a viable option if money is no object.

4. no towel bars or coat hooks in the bathroom for robes

5. the shower was an "exhibitionist shower" (our name for it) meaning the lovely large bathroom area was really only usable by one person if that person was showering because the shower wall to the large tub is glass.

6. the door to the toilet had slats in it and afforded no privacy for much needed "personal time"

All in all, a disappointment.

Upside - we had a couples massage which was wonderful and a highlight. I suspect all the spa services are outstanding. And the grounds are striking and excellently maintained.

The Four Seasons Avaria where I spent most of my time...lovely!!

Reviewed January 14, 2007

We just returned from a long weekend at La Costa. The Hotel is beautiful and very good for golf and kids. We had a nice size room with a 42" plasma and nice bathroom and toiletries. The staff was nice, friendly and very accomodating.
The lounge is nice with a very nice view of the golf course but the drinks are very expensive and small in portion. We also had dinner at The Legends and the food was healthy but not fantastic. I didn't care for our waiter refering to us as "guys". It's not and ego thing, I just prefer a more polte way of refering to customers. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2006

We visited La Costa as part of a conference group and so had the luxury of our own organizers on site. This served to alleviate what would otherwise have been a chaotic experience. As alluded to by other reviewers, the valet parking and check-in area could be politely described as a gong show. How could anyone deliberately design something this chaotic? In fairness, the staff do their very best to deal with the bedlam. We arrived at night and found that practicality has given way to ambience. Signage around the property is vague and poorly lit.

The morning revealed the astounding beauty of La Costa, albeit marred by the amount of construction happening around the property. At the time of our visit, the Resort and Family pools were closed for renovations, and new condos were being built.

Our only experience with restaurants was Sunday morning breakfast at Legends. All other meals at the conference had been expertly and creatively catered by the hotel. Legends appeared to be horribly understaffed. What else could explain the 20 minute wait to be seated when there were numerous empty tables in the room?

So, we generally enjoyed our experience here, but would likely have been disappointed had this not been a company funded stay. Had we been spending our own money, I think we would have stayed one night and moved on. As suggested by other reviewers, the nearby resorts at Aviara and Torrey Pines looked very appealing.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2006

I've just returned from an incredible getaway weekend at La Costa Resort and Spa. Not only were the grounds beautiful, my room was absolutely magnificent! Everything about this resort is tranquil and comfortable. I indulged in three treatments at the Spa, which in my opinion, were the best spa treatments that I've ever had. I spent the afternoon enjoying the ammenities, then I made my way back to my wonderful room , where I enjoyed relaxing on the patio with a glass of wine. Truly heaven! I've not been that relaxed in a very long time.

I don't often get away and am very particular about those opportunities. I will go again, and again to La Costa for those times!

While I didn't have my children with me, I did notice that there are lot of activities for kids that looked great. I would definitely consider taking my 13 and 6 year old children with me at some time. I could see this as a great destination for my time alone...and family time of fun.

I would highly recommend La Costa Resort and Spa to anyone looking for a great place to relax and slow down!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2006

I just visited this beautiful property north of San Diego to get away from LA area. My main reason for coming to this resort was the Spa reputation among all my friends back at home.
The Spa is the best Spa I have ever been to. Its luxurious, treatments are top of the line, and the employees are very friendly and professional. I have been in many spas around the U.S. and Europe specially the U.K where I was born, but nothing compares to La Costa.
Treatments to do: Apple Cinnamon Body Scrub, Shiatsu Massage, and La Costa Facial.
Things to do: Eat at the Spa Cafe, read a book by the fire place, go under the waterfalls by the pool.
Great Staff: Chris by the lounge, Christina and William at the front desk.
Not so good: The steamroom was not working.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple