“Quality and Customer Service -- Don't anticipate it at La Costa!!”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Chicago
“Quality and Customer Service -- Don't anticipate it at La Costa!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2006

This is by far the worst resort (what a joke) hotel property that I have ever been to in my life. I have stayed at some of America's best and this property ranks dead last. If I worked for Mobil or AAA - I would give this property .005 stars, just for the fact that someone spent some capital building it.

Rooms are dirty, musty, moldy -- Hotel staff is arrogant, rude, and most would not be hired to work the loading dock at a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons. Golf course is a joke - worse than your local driving range - staff is worse than that.

Prices are sky high - try $8.50 for a childs milkshake. Resturants are terrible - birds are flying everywhere eating your food -- the food is worse --- stale food was served.

The only people that deserve praise are those responsible for creating the website -- don't be fooled by it -- I was -- La Costa is an overall joke and nothing like the pictures you see.

The service at Hampton Inn is better on a bad day. Spend your time and money somewhere else where they looked up the meaning of Quality and Customer Service in Webster's dictionary.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Dearborn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2006

I really have no idea where some of the people who write these reviews stay!! La Costa is fantastick!!! The renovation has turned a good hotel into a great one.

I have stayed there 4 times over the last few years and the newest additions - Teen arcade and kids camp are the best I have seen at any resort in the US. The property is in great shape, the rooms superb. The beds are comfortable and the new addition of the plasma TV's (my room had 2) are very very nice.

It is very relaxing with a friendly staff who work hard to please. Yes, parking is a little far if you self-park, but why not valet instead of complain. (think about it if parking is close, then the complaints would be about rooms overlooking the parking lot) The views of the hills surrounding the golf course are awesome. Most of the rooms I have been in all have had great views, or relaxing courtyards. Each time I stay there is another new surprise as they continue to remake this resort.

Check in was quick and the young lady (I wish I remembered her name) was very friendly and accomodating to my family. The bellman was friendly and made some great suggestions on how to enjoy our stay in the area.

Food on property was great and having evening cocktails on the new patio by the firepit is always great with the beautiful foutains nearby.

Is everything perfect at La Costa...? Is it anywhere???

Key points
one of the nicest gyms you will find in any hotel/resort
one of the nicest chidrens programs
beautiful weather and views
Friendly staff
well-appointed rooms

Do yourself a favor and dont listen to the people who write bad reviews...I am not sure they are happy anywhere they stay.

I will be back as often as I can get to Carlsbad/Del Mar area. I cant wait to see the new rooms which will be open soon.

• Liked — New TV's and redone rooms
  • Disliked — Pool could be bigger
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Golf view junior suites
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank bball5150
BEVERLY HILLS
Reviewed July 23, 2006

stayed there for 4 days, brought some of my best clients, boy, was I embarrased. Everyone was anticipating this weekend. I played on both course, it was terible, the courses looks like a municipal course, even the staff acts like they work in one. My advise go somewhere else.

• Liked — NONE
  • Disliked — SERVICE
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I was out for a business conference from April 21st - 23rd and have to say I wished I was there for pleasure. Although I was bumped out of my original room request due to late arrival, the staff generously moved me the next day with an upgrade at no extra cost. I found the desk and valet staff to be very friendly, helpful and courteous. This is a pretty resort with an Old California Spanish Mission type charm. Be prepared to walk a bit if you are self-parking. With the exception of a few buildings you will have a trek. The Blue Fire Grill was excellent and the short rib house specialty out of this world! The view of the golf course from the Legends restaurant was pretty. The place has a country club feel to it. I loved my comfy bed and I had a marble tub with a separate shower. The gym is very modern and impressive and the pool area pretty standard. I really had no complaints after getting the room upgrade and I recommend this place. It is family friendly. If you leave the resort, I recommend you stop by some of the beach restaurants in Del Mar or stop by the Flower Fields in Carlsbad.

1 Thank Sandgal424
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 16, 2006

First the spa - I booked my treatments 3 months in advance. The facility is very nice, however there are A LOT of therapists and guests at the spa. It took us about 15 minutes in line just to check in. When you go to the room where you wait to be called, it was overcrowded! There were not enough chairs for everyone to sit. Not a very relaxing way to wait for your massage. The clock stirkes the hour and then a mass of therapists converge on the room to find their clients. Mine never came, when I asked where my therapist was, someone went to go check and never came back. I went looking for them, they were on the computer looking very puzzled. They saw my reservation, but I was booked with someone who wasn't working that day! They then had to scurry to find someone. So, my massage got started about 15 minutes late and I was not given the full 50 minutes. They did give me a discount, but I was not able to enjoy the massage much. Then I met up with my girlfriends and we went to the spa restaurant, which had maybe 10 tables. Again probably not enough for the number of people there. You seat yourself. So we found a table and sat down. The server told us that the table was reserved for another group who was "on their way", but another table would be available soon. We asked if we could sit there till the group arrived, the answer was no. She told us to wait by the pool and she would come get us when the table was ready. The pool, is small, and definitely not enough chairs around the pool to lounge. Again, very surprising, given the renovation and the number of people there. It was very busy, and not relaxing trying to figure out where to hang out between treatments. We finally got a table at the restaurant, not because the server came to get us but because we saw it. BTW - the table we were originally at was empty the whole time we waited and the whole time we ate lunch. It was a 40 minute wait to get the complimentary loofah scrub. In my shower, the shower gel was missing. On checkout from the spa, we were supposed to have our room keys waiting for us at the front desk. Not there. They called the front desk, who said they would send someone over with it. After waiting awhile, we just went ahead and walked back to the main hall (a few minutes walk). When we first checked in to the resort, we were told by the bellman to find out our room number and return and let them know so they could deliver our luggage to the room. When we checked in at the front desk, our room was not available, and they would not tell us what room number we would be in. They said they would call the bellman and let them know our room number and take care of our luggage. BTW - when we checked into the spa 20 minutes later, they told us what our room number would be, as well as the server at the restaurant. Not sure why the front desk wouldn't tell us. When we got our keys, in turned out the front desk never called the bellman. So we had to go identify our luggage, which had been sitting out in the sun for 7 hrs! Because of all this, we were very rushed getting ready to make it to our dinner reservation. Again, not very relaxing. On checkout from the hotel, our spa charges were incorrect. I had to call 2x, then finally walk back to the spa to talk to the manager directly to have it taken care of.
I think the spa would be better if they staggered the treatment times so that there weren't somany people around at once.

4 Thank MissingSD
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

I took my wife, daughter and son-in-law to la Costa for the July 4th Weekend and boy was I disappointed. From brown fairways on the golf course ($ 180 per round) to dirty carpets and walkways covered with gum, spilled drinks and bird poop, this place is all hype. We ate dinner at the Bluefire restaurant the day we arrived and should have taken a hint. The restaurant was never more than 60% filled yet our dinners were so slow in getting to us that the waitress comped my appetizer ( scallops and they were good ). I ordered the veal chop and it was thin and overcooked. My wife, daughter and son-in-law all enjoyed their meals, but as I said, the service was mediocre at best.
We spent a day by the pool ($175 for pool service ) and the service and food at the pool were both very good.. no complaints. The hamburger I had was very good. The pool staff was above average. The drinks were expensive ($10-12) with damn little liquor.
The rooms were clean and my wife loved the bathroom ( big tub). The carpeting in the hallway in front of our bank of rooms were dirty as was the welcome mat at the entrance to the Starbucks.
Overall, I would say to avoid this place. So many other fine choices available. Oh yes, they charge an obligatory $20 per day per room to use their pool and either $10 or $20 per night to park your car. One can do much better..

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed July 7, 2006

Reserved a room here a month in advance. Let them know we preferred something with a nice view and that it was our anniversary. We arrive and all valets were busy. Fine, we get our 4 bags out of the trunk and make our way to the confusing-to-find front desk. Assured we had a "nice room" and being told by the guy it was, in fact, "his favorite place in the resort to stay", we were told to get back into our car and drive to our room. We re-packed the car (were offered no help again by staff) and followed the exact instructions we were given by staff to find our room, Unpack car AGAIN and realize we were given wrong directions. Flagged down bellboy and asked him to PLEASE just drive us (on his golfcart) to our room and he was happy to oblige. We all walked into room together and gasped. There was a wall put up in front of our balcony (and only view to the outside) and all we could see over it was a crane and construction site!!! For over $300!!!! We promptly re-packed our car for the third time and did what we should have done to begin with; check into the dreamy Four Seasons. It was only about $20 more per night and you don't get hit with the sneaky "resort fees" that La Costa charges. All this and no apologies or follow-up from the hotel. It's a disgrace and I hope you will stay somewhere where your time and money are valued.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank dananyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Beach Terrace Inn
#3 of 36 in Carlsbad
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,294 reviews
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!