“Don't Bother”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
A TripAdvisor Member
Orange, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2006

I took my wife, daughter and son-in-law to la Costa for the July 4th Weekend and boy was I disappointed. From brown fairways on the golf course ($ 180 per round) to dirty carpets and walkways covered with gum, spilled drinks and bird poop, this place is all hype. We ate dinner at the Bluefire restaurant the day we arrived and should have taken a hint. The restaurant was never more than 60% filled yet our dinners were so slow in getting to us that the waitress comped my appetizer ( scallops and they were good ). I ordered the veal chop and it was thin and overcooked. My wife, daughter and son-in-law all enjoyed their meals, but as I said, the service was mediocre at best.
We spent a day by the pool ($175 for pool service ) and the service and food at the pool were both very good.. no complaints. The hamburger I had was very good. The pool staff was above average. The drinks were expensive ($10-12) with damn little liquor.
The rooms were clean and my wife loved the bathroom ( big tub). The carpeting in the hallway in front of our bank of rooms were dirty as was the welcome mat at the entrance to the Starbucks.
Overall, I would say to avoid this place. So many other fine choices available. Oh yes, they charge an obligatory $20 per day per room to use their pool and either $10 or $20 per night to park your car. One can do much better..

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,982)

Reviewed July 7, 2006

Reserved a room here a month in advance. Let them know we preferred something with a nice view and that it was our anniversary. We arrive and all valets were busy. Fine, we get our 4 bags out of the trunk and make our way to the confusing-to-find front desk. Assured we had a "nice room" and being told by the guy it was, in fact, "his favorite place in the resort to stay", we were told to get back into our car and drive to our room. We re-packed the car (were offered no help again by staff) and followed the exact instructions we were given by staff to find our room, Unpack car AGAIN and realize we were given wrong directions. Flagged down bellboy and asked him to PLEASE just drive us (on his golfcart) to our room and he was happy to oblige. We all walked into room together and gasped. There was a wall put up in front of our balcony (and only view to the outside) and all we could see over it was a crane and construction site!!! For over $300!!!! We promptly re-packed our car for the third time and did what we should have done to begin with; check into the dreamy Four Seasons. It was only about $20 more per night and you don't get hit with the sneaky "resort fees" that La Costa charges. All this and no apologies or follow-up from the hotel. It's a disgrace and I hope you will stay somewhere where your time and money are valued.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank dananyc
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Read all the prior reviews so I knew about the short comings of this hotel. But the FS Aviara was way more expensive so we thought we would give it a try. Having stayed at the Aviara last year and having just finished a stay at the San Francisco FS, I expected this hotel to underwhelm us. But we were pleasantly surprised. We were able to check in early and check in was fast and efficient (fairly busy weekend there). The common areas and facilities are first rate(not as great as Aviara). The rooms are also five star including great Plasma which worked better than the Ritz Laguna Niguel. Nice sized fully renovated room with patio area for relaxing which was nice. I found that a number of the previous complaints to be true - thin walls, far parking, etc., but it did not ruin the stay. The new kids club is outstanding and cannot be matched by any FS or RC that we have been to. Great tennis facility with four clay courts(tip-they close early so you can play for free otherwise it's $20). I signed up for a private tennis workout with a pro which went well-$75hr. Lot's of activites and pools to enjoy. My wife thouroughly enjoyed the exercise classes (great work out facility) and the SPA. We were there during the NFL Rookie Symposium so people watching was outstanding. Highly recommend, but the Aviara is still tops in our books.

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank tennis_ace_2005
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at La Costa from May 27-June 3 (which included Memorial Day) as part of our honeymoon. We had a discounted rate due to a friend who works at the hotel.

We really enjoyed our stay at La Costa.

GOOD
1. Pool: The pool was relaxing and the chairs comfortable. Waitresses checked in often to accomodate needs. Lots of towels except on Memorial Day.
2. Fitness Center: My husband and I really enjoyed the fitness center.
3. Room: Our room was clean, the bedding was lush, and we had all of the robes and coffee and whatnot. Our room was also quiet.
4. Lobster Night: At $25/person, Lobster Night at Legends Restaurant was a good deal. We really enjoyed the dinner and the service.

BAD
1. The pool was crowded on Memorial Day weekend with lots of wild children.
2. The complex is huge, which means that you may have LONG walks to the pool or to your car (we self-parked).
3. The resort fee rips you.
4. Parking is really far away if you don't use valet.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank DCmetrodogmom
Reviewed June 6, 2006

My family spent one week at La Costa and for a five star hotel, it was not running on all cylinders. First of all, the check in time is 4 pm. Very late when you travel with two children under the age of 2. Once we arrived to our room, it was very nicely appointed but there was a recognizable smell to it: age. Even the beautiful decorations couldn't cover up the fact that it was still an old room. Plus, the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people above us every time the walked in their room or flushed the toilet (it was like the water coming into our room). We could hear the people next door as well as the people walking down the hall. Thank goodness this is not a party place like some Vegas hotel or we would have been up all night. For the amount you spend, you would expect more from your room. It did have newspapers (Mon-Friday), robes, coffee, wonderful staff (very accomodating to our needs especially for our children), most beautiful spa I have ever seen, and great work out area. The grounds are lovely depsite all the construction. La Costa is improving and they are trying to compete with the local Four Seasons. It is getting there but it is not there yet.

2  Thank GuestNewJersey
Reviewed April 22, 2006

After reading previous posts about La Costa I must say I was nervous as the Four Seasons Aviara, our usual hotel was sold out and it was my husband’s birthday. So we made our reservation at La Costa for a resort room.

I then contacted the General Manager, April Shute, to request an early check-in of 1pm because my husband had a tee time of 2:30 and I had a 1:30 pm massage and we were driving in from Los Angeles. Ms. Shute called me back, much to my delighted surprise and told me they would do everything possible to accommodate our request.

Arriving at 1pm, our room was ready. We were whisked to our SUITE, which was gorgeous. A welcome basket filled with great wines, bottled water, cheeses, etc. We were immediately impressed. The layout of the room was great. Comfortable living room with a gigantic plasma televsion, I would guess it would be at least 60”. Bedroom beautifully appointed with another plasma television, bit smaller than the one in the living room. Bed was very comfortable with high thread count sheets.

Bathroom had plenty of counter space, double sinks, wonderful soaking tub, great sized toilitries. Coffee maker with Seattle’s Best Coffee.

My husband played the South Course and loved it. I went to the Chopra Center for a massage which was good, not great, but we had only made our reservations 24 hours prior so I was willing to take what I could.

There is a complimentary appetizer and cocktail reception in the courtyard. I didn’t stop in, but I noticed premium drinks and yummy appetizers. We ate at Legends which was very tasty and not as pricey the Blue Fire Grill.

We received chocolate covered strawberries for my husband’s birthday and a premium bottle of wine.

I called and spoke to Ms. Shute and thanked her for all of her extra efforts and that we greatly appreciated it. She said well it pays to go straight to the top, hint, hint.

There were just a few minor issues I found at La Costa. Towels in the bathroom very scratchy. No complimentary newspaper in the morning, you have to call the bell desk and they charge you for the papers. There are or were no robes in our room. This is a spa so I would just assume that their would be robes, glad I brought mine. The daily resort fee that we all love to complain about is here at $20 a day, and that includes internet access and access to the health club.

We had a great stay, the staff was amazing, right there to answer any questions. We were former Four Seasons Aviara fans, now La Costa. Even with the daily resort fee and no newspapers, the rooms at La Costa are bigger, more modern, less expensive. And the spa and health club beat the Four Seasons. We will be back!

21  Thank onlyfirstclass
Reviewed April 21, 2006

La Costa-5 stars? More like a very polished 3 star hotel
The entrance to the hotel is very confusing and when you do finally
find the check in area you will be suprised to learn that it caters only to
valet parking-there was no where to park just to check in
Self parking was in a combination dirt and half paved parking area (5 stars?)
Upon checking in I learned that the room I was given had no balcony-I then
requested that I be moved to a balcony or ground level room
Front desk informed me that all ground level rooms were booked but they did manage to give me a room that looked out at some shrubs-upon entering the room we immediately
noticed a bad sewer smell-front desk offered to send the engineer to check it out,
we requested another room , magically there was a ground level available closer to the pool (which I originally requested)
The family pool was nice and did have a sand area to play in-the pool bar remained
closed during our stay and the only way you could get refreshments was to call room service-about a 30 minute wait (5 stars?)
I rarely passed anyone in my travels around the property and question just how booked this hotel really was
All in all, this is a very mediocre hotel (for $300+ a night) and I would recommend families with small children go elsewhere-probably a great place to stay if all you like to do is golf

5  Thank Fish414