“Lovely Accommodations & Even Lovelier Personnel”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Our San Diego-based company hosted a small strategic planning conference here early this week. Although I'd attended meetings at this property, I had never before been a guest of the resort or had an opportunity to take advantage of the spa services.

The main focus of our strategic planning was service, and the staff at the resort gave us plenty of good examples to cite during our involved discussions.

The hotel occupancy was obviously low during the two days of our visit, but you wouldn't have been able to tell that by the amount of personnel on staff. They were not only plentiful, but they were friendly and helpful, and almost without exception, made every interaction personal - so removed from the ordinarily pleasant, but typically robotic interactions from many in the hotel industry.

In fact, the esthetician in the spa was so genuine that I hugged her on the way out. I hated to leave, but who wouldn't? The restaurant was closed on our one overnight, but the lobby bartender who served our drinks before we left for dinner remembered all of our choices when we returned. Pretty impressive!

All of our guest rooms were spacious and beautifully-appointed. There was not a leaf out of place on the grounds. I would absolutely return for a weekend away with my husband, and definitely a visit to the spa.

There are newer reviews for Omni La Costa Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband, 2 children and I returned to La Costa this year for the second summer in a row. We enjoyed a weekend at the resort last year, and had a such a relaxing experience that we decided to extend our stay to 5 nights this time. We were not disappointed! The room was clean and lovely, with a remodeled bathroom , excellent amenities, and a view of a private courtyard with a jacuzzi. It was conveniently located next to both the pool and the restaurants, so we got lucky there. We booked early when they were having a special and we received 30% off on our room rate and breakfast for our entire family for $25. The breakfast was a wonderful way to begin the day, as they offer a very nice buffet each morning and you can dine outdoors overlooking the golf course. I think the $25 breakfast plan is something you can ask for if it is not included in your hotel package, and they will gladly add it.

If you have children, the pool is definitely the highlight of your La Costa experience. The younger children adore the shallow pool with the sandy "beach", as well as the splash zone activities and smaller waterslides. The older kids (and grownups) LOVE the two larger waterslides. The food poolside is great, though a bit spendy, but it's a wonderful, relaxing atmosphere for the whole family.

We enjoy playing tennis, and the resorts has a beautiful tennis facility, and it didn't seem to be crowded at all when we were there. The restaurants on site are good, but there are plenty of other options nearby as well, such as a casual pizza place in the mall across the street and a nicer Mexican restaurant. We enjoyed dinner at a nearby Benihana one evening, as well.

The proximity to Legoland is a big bonus, and the drive into San Diego for Sea World and other attractions is only about 45 minutes. We are La Costa fans, and we look forward to returning each year!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sb_gal
Reviewed October 8, 2009

La Costa Resort and Spa is a beautiful resort with numerous daily activities for both couples and families. Whether we were in the mood for an early morning walk, family yoga, swimming or even arcade games, La Costa met all our needs right on site as well as being in close proximity to the beach, Sea World, LegoLand and other desireable destinations. The landscape was lush and well maintained, the staff was courteous and professional and the rooms are SPECTACULAR!!! Our suite had a large living/dining room where our family could enjoy a sit down breakfast overlooking our beautiful courtyard or we could enjoy pizza and a movie with all the comforts of home! We have returned 3 summers in a row now and I hope to continue to make our trip to La Costa a yearly luxury! My family and I can't wait for next summer!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BrandieS3
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The place was nice enough, but we extended our trip through the weekend and found much better value at hotel locations actually in San Diego. No complaints as far as service and cleanliness, but the rooms were kind of weird (three times longer than it was wide?)... the bed could only fit in one way and it was right up to the wall on one side with about 3 feet on the other side; the TV was 30 feet from the bed? Everything was overpriced, but I guess some people like to pay extra for the perception of being better. Food was very good for a conference buffet. All in all, the golf course was looking run down and I'm just glad I wasn't the one paying the bill.

Reviewed October 7, 2009

I should preface this by relating that October is definitely “off-season” at La Costa, so the smaller number of guests could certainly have impacted the level of service we received (which was excellent). My wife and two adult daughters accompanied me to La Costa for a conference I was attending there. Check-in could not have gone smoother. I had reservations for a suite and found that we had been upgraded to an even larger one than what I had reserved. Our particular accommodations were convenient to all of the property’s amenities (pools, fitness center, restaurants, shops, golf course). There are accommodations at the resort that could require much more walking to some of the amenities listed. The main pool complex included several “extras” that I’m sure children of all ages would enjoy (waterslides, mini beach) although my family did not partake of them. The fitness center was probably the best, and was definitely the largest, I have ever seen at a resort or hotel property. One particularly pleasing characteristic of the fitness center was the positioning of the stationary bikes facing the large windows with excellent views of the golf course. The only negative from our stay was the first evening we ordered pizza from room service to eat by the pool and it was not near the quality of everything else that we experienced during our stay. We did order from room service one other evening (for my daughters) while my wife and I attended a dinner with the conference, and the food was better. The only category I have rated at less than “Excellent” is for value. This is simply recognition that the level of excellence we experienced does not come cheap.

1  Thank rthorntonPA
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I attended LaCosta for a business conference (I was one of the conference organizers and directors) and the entire stay was very pleasant. The conference rooms were great! And the entire resort is clean and beautiful. The staff is more than helpful - ask them to jump and they will jump 50 times. There was always someone there ensuring we had everything we possibly needed. Landscaping, pools, rooms, restuarants, food, staff were great!! I would highly recommend.

1  Thank vhagen
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I just spent 5 days at this property. Wonderful place to relax even though I was there for business. I brought my kids on this trip because the hotel shows a nice pool and water slides. I wanted to hang out with the wife and kids in the late afternoons by the pool but they close the slides at 4 or 430pm. Real bummer! I wish we would have known prior to visiting property that the kids would not be able to use the water slides - probably would have stayed somewhere else.
Property is clean and staff is professional. The rooms are a bit spread out so be prepared to do some walking.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LPogo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Rancho Bernardo Inn
Mission Bay Park
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
#150 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Omni La Costa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!