“Can't wait to return again next summer!”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Santa Barbara, CA
“Can't wait to return again next summer!”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband, 2 children and I returned to La Costa this year for the second summer in a row. We enjoyed a weekend at the resort last year, and had a such a relaxing experience that we decided to extend our stay to 5 nights this time. We were not disappointed! The room was clean and lovely, with a remodeled bathroom , excellent amenities, and a view of a private courtyard with a jacuzzi. It was conveniently located next to both the pool and the restaurants, so we got lucky there. We booked early when they were having a special and we received 30% off on our room rate and breakfast for our entire family for $25. The breakfast was a wonderful way to begin the day, as they offer a very nice buffet each morning and you can dine outdoors overlooking the golf course. I think the $25 breakfast plan is something you can ask for if it is not included in your hotel package, and they will gladly add it.

If you have children, the pool is definitely the highlight of your La Costa experience. The younger children adore the shallow pool with the sandy "beach", as well as the splash zone activities and smaller waterslides. The older kids (and grownups) LOVE the two larger waterslides. The food poolside is great, though a bit spendy, but it's a wonderful, relaxing atmosphere for the whole family.

We enjoy playing tennis, and the resorts has a beautiful tennis facility, and it didn't seem to be crowded at all when we were there. The restaurants on site are good, but there are plenty of other options nearby as well, such as a casual pizza place in the mall across the street and a nicer Mexican restaurant. We enjoyed dinner at a nearby Benihana one evening, as well.

The proximity to Legoland is a big bonus, and the drive into San Diego for Sea World and other attractions is only about 45 minutes. We are La Costa fans, and we look forward to returning each year!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank sb_gal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 8, 2009

La Costa Resort and Spa is a beautiful resort with numerous daily activities for both couples and families. Whether we were in the mood for an early morning walk, family yoga, swimming or even arcade games, La Costa met all our needs right on site as well as being in close proximity to the beach, Sea World, LegoLand and other desireable destinations. The landscape was lush and well maintained, the staff was courteous and professional and the rooms are SPECTACULAR!!! Our suite had a large living/dining room where our family could enjoy a sit down breakfast overlooking our beautiful courtyard or we could enjoy pizza and a movie with all the comforts of home! We have returned 3 summers in a row now and I hope to continue to make our trip to La Costa a yearly luxury! My family and I can't wait for next summer!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BrandieS3
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The place was nice enough, but we extended our trip through the weekend and found much better value at hotel locations actually in San Diego. No complaints as far as service and cleanliness, but the rooms were kind of weird (three times longer than it was wide?)... the bed could only fit in one way and it was right up to the wall on one side with about 3 feet on the other side; the TV was 30 feet from the bed? Everything was overpriced, but I guess some people like to pay extra for the perception of being better. Food was very good for a conference buffet. All in all, the golf course was looking run down and I'm just glad I wasn't the one paying the bill.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I should preface this by relating that October is definitely “off-season” at La Costa, so the smaller number of guests could certainly have impacted the level of service we received (which was excellent). My wife and two adult daughters accompanied me to La Costa for a conference I was attending there. Check-in could not have gone smoother. I had reservations for a suite and found that we had been upgraded to an even larger one than what I had reserved. Our particular accommodations were convenient to all of the property’s amenities (pools, fitness center, restaurants, shops, golf course). There are accommodations at the resort that could require much more walking to some of the amenities listed. The main pool complex included several “extras” that I’m sure children of all ages would enjoy (waterslides, mini beach) although my family did not partake of them. The fitness center was probably the best, and was definitely the largest, I have ever seen at a resort or hotel property. One particularly pleasing characteristic of the fitness center was the positioning of the stationary bikes facing the large windows with excellent views of the golf course. The only negative from our stay was the first evening we ordered pizza from room service to eat by the pool and it was not near the quality of everything else that we experienced during our stay. We did order from room service one other evening (for my daughters) while my wife and I attended a dinner with the conference, and the food was better. The only category I have rated at less than “Excellent” is for value. This is simply recognition that the level of excellence we experienced does not come cheap.

1 Thank rthorntonPA
vhagen
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I attended LaCosta for a business conference (I was one of the conference organizers and directors) and the entire stay was very pleasant. The conference rooms were great! And the entire resort is clean and beautiful. The staff is more than helpful - ask them to jump and they will jump 50 times. There was always someone there ensuring we had everything we possibly needed. Landscaping, pools, rooms, restuarants, food, staff were great!! I would highly recommend.

1 Thank vhagen
reno, nv
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I just spent 5 days at this property. Wonderful place to relax even though I was there for business. I brought my kids on this trip because the hotel shows a nice pool and water slides. I wanted to hang out with the wife and kids in the late afternoons by the pool but they close the slides at 4 or 430pm. Real bummer! I wish we would have known prior to visiting property that the kids would not be able to use the water slides - probably would have stayed somewhere else.
Property is clean and staff is professional. The rooms are a bit spread out so be prepared to do some walking.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LPogo
Paramount, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We had a group of 75. All agreed they loved La Costa Resort & Spa. We had four meal venues and a full day of meetings. Everything was perfect. I am the meeting planner and no one complained, which is a first for me.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MissyParamount
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Beach Terrace Inn
#3 of 36 in Carlsbad
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,295 reviews
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!