“La Costa”

“La Costa”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Hummingbirds.
Birds of Paradise.
Pools, golfing, tennis and a spa.
Beautiful gym.
Excellent food and wine.
Minutes from the ocean.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
CA
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We spent four nights here in a ground floor room in the 'grassy knoll' area of the resort. Apparently this is where they like to put families, which was fine. The room had french doors that opened to a large grass area where our kids were able to step out and run around. However, there are many low hanging trees and tons of spiders, bugs, bird droppings...so, we had to clean our patio furniture everyday. The room had a large bathroom with granite and a big shower. Very nice. The mattresses were much too hard for my taste and actually gave me shoulder pain. It's awful to want to leave a nice resort for the comforts of your own bed! We did not eat at the resort, but the evening scene in the main courtyard was lively and there were cover/jazz bands performing two of the 4 nights we stayed. The best part for us, because of our children, was the family pool area. Two kid-friendly pools, waterslides, and on Saturdays, live music. Even though it is a time share resort now, not once were we asked if we were interested in a presentation...a welcome change from all our trips to Mexico where you are bombarded by the sales pitches. The service at the front desk was wonderful. We were treated very kindly and told that if our children or us were unhappy with our room they would do whatever they could to find us a new one. We did not visit the spa or the Chopra wellness center, or even play a round of golf. We were busy with Legoland and the pool.

1 Thank Aprilbull
Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This was my fourth stay at La Costa and on the Friday and Saturday my sister and I were there, it was packed. We arrived early and were told we might have to wait for the 4 pm check-in time, but when we went back to the desk we got into a room right away. We wanted two beds and this one only had a King but the superb valet got us the room we wanted and moved us into it at 4 pm, while we were lounging at the spa. With its Roman shower, plunge pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, and excellent staff, the spa is one of La Costa's best features. I also enjoyed the quiet villa pool, far away from the with the big slide that's for kids. The grounds are impeccable, with flowers literally everywhere. All rooms seem to have a patio or balcony from which you can enjoy them. Except for at the villas the rooms are a bit older but I actually love their comfy feel--the luxurious bathrooms with walk-in shower, the flat screen TV's, free Internet and especially the top-of-the-line bedding and mattresses. No problem sleeping here. I also love the fitness room with its sweeping views of the golf course and the first-class equipment (Matrix). What's not to like about La Costa? Well, perhaps 1 and 10 of the staff aren't as gracious as they could be. The food at Legends is good, especially breakfast, but room service isn't more than average. And I'd suggest that before getting into one of the many hot tubs around the property, you smell it . La Costa attracts families and the hot tub near our room smelled like a kid or two had used it for a bathroom. But the greatest thing about La Costa is the sense of peace that lingers over it, perhaps due to all the yoga and meditating going on at the Deepak Chopra Center on its property, or perhaps the smiles that beam from the faces of most of the staff have done something magical to the air.

Our visit wasn't perfect...a slightly grumpy person here, a smelly hot tub there, cold french fries from room service one night, a delay at check-in, a rented beach umbrella that didn't work, but after all the place was packed. I encountered none of these problems the times I've been there when it was less full.

It would take a lot more than this to keep me from returning to beautiful La Costa again.

• Stayed July 2009
CA
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We came to the resort early to check in and we expected to wait. We came in our bathing suits ready to have some time at the pool. The valets took our luggage and stored it for us. We sat at a cabana and had lunch while our little one played on the pool slides and swam. We were called when our room was ready.

We were brought to our room with our luggage. We found our studio villa to be nicely equipped with everything we needed. Were were happy to have such a nice balcony with plenty of seating, and right off of that was a nice size spa which we enjoyed every night after dinner.

There are a few complaints. One we were missing the room service menu that took over an hour and a hlf to arrive. (We already went out to eat by that time). We were impressed by the petit kitchen, but had an odor I couldn't quite put my thumb on. Lastly I think having to check in at the pool and them keeping track of your towels and having to turn them in promptly as you leave the pool area is a bit tacky. I had to walk back to my room wet! Yuck!

Overall we had a nice stay and would give it another try.

1 Thank allerimom
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Grounds and rooms were very nice. Spa was good too. We returned thinking it would be just as nice...but not this time. The reservation was screwed up and the front desk was far from helpful. Contacted the hotel GM about our issue but never got a response. Would not return to the resort...very disappointing as we had high hopes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Just got back from the best vacation resort ever! The grounds were the prettiest I've ever seen, the pools were beyond my expectation, the fitness and Yoga Center were state of the art and the employees were incredible. You can't teach employees that kind of customer service...you're born with it and La Costa Resort knows how to pick them! Can't say enough about it...definitely 5 stars!

1 Thank Lovelyladywdbg
dallas, texas
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I picked this resort because the website touted their recent multimillion dollar renovation and the rates for the large (800+ sq ft) suites were quite reasonable. Just so you know where I am coming from, my husband and I typically stay in 5 star resort properties with our two children, aged 5 and 15 months. We always try to book a suite. Alternatively we stay in rented homes.

We booked a parlor suite for $420 a night (not inclusive of the mandatory resort fee of $22 a day and $12 for self parking each day) and were extremely disappointed when we arrived in the musty, dated suite which actually was two rooms joined together by a connecting door. When I voiced my concerns to the kind woman who had checked us in she spoke with her rooms manager. Her first suggestion was to have the room "freshened" by an ionizer. I politely declined and asked to see another possibility. I was taken to a spa room that while had a better floor plan, was similarly dated and smelly. It was also significantly smaller than what we had booked.

After being told by the bellman that all rooms in the resort were built in 1965 other than the year old privately owned "villas" I asked to see one of them. A very nice bellman took me to room 6532 and said that it was his favorite on the entire property. At this point I was just happy to be in a modern space, even though it, too, was much smaller than the suite I had initially booked.

This villa was essentially one room with a small kitchen nook on one end. The villa was tastefully decorated and the bathroom was lovely, even though it appears that some corners were cut in the quality of the materials used and the workmen didn't completely clean up the paint splatters on the bathroom floor. The couch pulled out to make a bed, and perhaps this was why it was extremely uncomfortable. With the addition of a crib for our baby, the space was very cramped. (No place to move the one chair) Also, storage was very limited and the closet was small. The kitchen did not have the basics one would expect, i.e. paper towels, oven mitt, towels etc.) While our unit had a bigger than average private patio, unlike the majority of the units, our patio faced the parking lot and I5. The noise from the interstate was constant, and joined most afternoons by gardeners maintaining the beautiful grounds.

Housekeeping was lacking. Unlike most hotels where the maids are chomping at the bit to clean your room in the morning, I had to call and request service each day. There was no evening turndown service (which would have been nice since we had the pullout couch). The staff didn't provide washcloths a couple of days and forgot to replenish the tissue. The towels in general were a little threadbare. On the other hand, the bed and pillows were super comfy.

As for the pools, we found them to be wonderfully kid friendly and super fun. This is why you want to be here. Service poolside was friendly and efficient. The food served was predictably overpriced but tasty. We ate at Legends restaurant one night and we found the location lovely and the food and service excellent.

Bottom Line: You don't stay here for the rooms. If you are used to new and modern you are best served by booking a villa.

2 Thank sldpdx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!