“Loved La Costa, don't understand the prior reviews”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
St. John
“Loved La Costa, don't understand the prior reviews”
Reviewed December 29, 2004

I really wonder how accurate are these reviews, are they being written by other hotels trying to take business away from La Costa. Having stayed at La Costa over Thanksgiving with 2 families I couldn't disagree more with the prior reviewers. I have also stayed at 4 Seasons Aviara and we prefer La Costa. I have also stayed at La Costa pre-renovation and I think the changes are fabulous.
We stayed in the Spa rooms and they are very spacious with a beautiful dressing area and separate marble bath. The rooms look out over a pool and courtyard and were very quiet. The beds and linens are luxurious as are the towels and bathrobes. There were 2 robes in closet and we asked for a 3rd for our teen daughter. The bath products were lovely, we even got bath salts for the soaking tub, and there was a candle and a loofah sponge by the tub which was a nice touch. Housekeeping was happy to give us extra bath salts and lotion. There were 2 extra down pillows and a blanket in the closet. They also have 2 large golf umbrellas for your use while at the hotel in the closet. The prior reviewer said they didnt. The coffee in the room was good, I don't like strong bitter coffee and it was perfectly fine. They have a Starbucks off the lobby if you need a fancier cup of coffee, they also have muffins and salads at the Starbucks and they are good.

We chose La Costa because we were 2 families with varied interests, some played golf, I took classes and used the Spa. Some of the classes are free, we took a Chopra Yoga class for free and a Chopra meditation class for free. The water exercise class, another yoga class, the core and bun challenge, and the ab express class at La Costa were also free. They have a free guided morning walk daily and an African Brazillian martial art dance class for free. My husband just reminded me they had a golf stretch class for free too. The other classes were $10. The circuit training equipment and other equipment were top of the line and everyone had individual ear sets loaned to them. The athletic club looks over the golf course and is pretty to watch while you work out. The spa prices were no different from Aviarra 4 Seasons or any other 5 star spa that I have visited. The masseuse I had was excellent, I can't remember her name but she has been at La Costa for 16 years and her boyfriend lives in Scotland, it was one of the best massages I have ever had. I combined the massage with the tub treatment and she massaged my neck and head during the jacuzzi tub time. The reflexology treatment with another technician was fair. I would try to remember to ask for the tech who has been with La costa for 16 years. Fruit, teas and other drinks are complimentary at the spa. The pool is quiet and is shared with the men, I do miss the private pools at the old spa.

The Golf Course was in superb condition and is top notch, a treat to play.

The restaurant is good, La Costa used to have many other restaurants and they are building a new upper scale restaurant that will be open soon. The only complaint we had with the restaurant was the pancakes were rubbery. The childrens menu prices were excellent, You get a lot of food for the price. I have to admit that my husband and I ordered room service off the childrens menu and they serve the same size hamburger to the kids as they do the adults. Also the fruit plate in the morning can feed the whole table and we ordered it daily. I think it was $6 and it came with a piece of banana bread that we all fought over. I dont think that is overpriced. The Spa diet meals were excellent and I tried to eat at least 2 a day. They have a chocolate explosion dessert that was fabulous and we shared that one night. And if you dont want to eat just at La Costa there are plenty of other restaurants in the immediate area that are very good. We did the Thanksgiving Buffet at the Four Seasons Aviara and we were very disappointed. We ate one night in Rancho Santa Fe at the Rancho Valencia and it was fabulous, I can't wait to go back.

I looked at my bill and we didn't pay $10 for nightly parking, we had a lot right behind our building where we parked. I dont know if it was an oversight with La Costa but we just parked there when the bellman brought us to our room. The parking lot was about 50 feet from our room. There is a lot of walking at La Costa, but this is a resort for active people, I wouldn't recommend this to people who have difficulty getting around. The 16 dollar resort fee is standard everywhere these days, we got coffee, the paper of our choice, use of the health club and some classes for free and free local calling and free high speed internet.

The pools are not huge but they have so many of them that they didnt feel crowded and I like that they had a seperate pool and play area for the really little ones. Our youngest in the group was 9 and he thought the kids pool was too babyish. What really makes me wonder about the accuracy of these reports is we went to La Costa over Thanksgiving week and they were having a cold snap but the pools were all heated and we couldn't get our kids out because the air was so cold and the pools were so warm. The other reviewer that went at the same time said the pools were too cold for her kids to swim and that was not the case, the air was cold not the water temperature. The pools could have been cleaner and that was one of my complaints but I think it was because it was a holiday and maybe the pool men had off

The other reviewer also had a complaint that the rooms were too cold, we had the opposite problem ours was too warm but we called engineering and they came right away and fixed the problem.

Also they had a free activity each day for the kids, one day it was cookie decorating, next day a reptile show and the next was a Brazillian-African martial Arts dance program that was very Matrix and very cool according to the kids. We visited Legoland and Seaworld the other days. We didnt use the kids camp because our kids didnt want to go so the teens babysat them, so I don't know anything about the kids club and prices.

Pros .. excellent service, beautiful grounds and hotel, good restaurant, excellent athletic club and classes, the Deepak Chopra Center and the chance to meet the remarkable Deepak. Beautiful spa and world class tennis and golf. Large beautiful rooms and bathrooms if you stay in the spa rooms. An activity for everyone!

Cons ... The pool at the Spa rooms was dirty all weekend, Towels at the pool were not put out in the morning I had to call the front desk and they sent someone down with towels. Rubbery pancakes in the restaurant. They forgot to clean my sisters room one day and she had to call and have them clean it while we were at dinner.

The Pros for us far outweigh the minor inconveniences of the cons and we will be returning next year for a fun active family vacation. It was the kids/cousins who voted to return because they love La Costa and the Carlsbad/San Diego area.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

8 Thank sebasco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2004

It's hard for me to decide on a "star" rating for La Costa. In some areas, it is worthy of 5 stars, but in other areas, it could use some help. I think that you need to have a lot of money to fully enjoy this resort. I had a lovely time when I stayed there, but I had the comfort of being able to fill my days with the very expensive spa treatments and rounds of golf. It's hard not to enjoy a resort when you are busy relaxing! I do think La Costa needs to upgrade the quality of the rooms. This is where I would give La Costa an average/below-average rating.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 9, 2004

I just returned from a 5-night stay at the La Costa. I stayed at La Costa for the very same reason as the previous poster: convenience to the Chopra Center.

I do agree with many of the things posted by the previous user. I think La Costa is a positive experience for a very specific audience. I think those who have more financial flexibility and/or those who aren't bothered by the hidden costs will most likely enjoy La Costa more than the average person. I am not one of them. I think if I could afford the very expensive spa treatments at the La Costa Spa, I might have a better time! I'm sure if I played golf, I would also be more tolerant of the some weaknesses.

I just wanted more for my money. I just thought more amenities would be included. I was disappointed by my room; I just thought it would be bigger and more luxurious. I agree about the bathroom. The rooms have wooden shutter-like doors that do not muffle noises by any means. The rooms were also quite cold.

I do have to say that there is one fabulous thing about the La Costa -- the manager, Hakan Anuk. He was very friendly, helpful, and proactive. I think he will really help La Costa improve and grow.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Omni La Costa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!