“Relaxing night with a surprise”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as a quick getaway. It is quite spread out but beautiful, tranquil grounds.
I specifically wanted to write a post to thank the woman who checked us in. Upon arriving, Kristin Finley asked if we were staying for a special occasion. She must have made note of our early anniversary because later that day, we were surprised to find a complimentary cheese platter, bottle of wine and congratulations note in our room. It is rare to find people who go above and beyond these days. And I wanted to thank Kristin Finley at the front desk for amazing me with her thoughtfulness!

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 10 nights over the 4th of July. Originally, we booked 8 nights and later extended 2 additional nights. I used to live in the area and would frequent the spa every year for my birthday but had never stayed at the resort. I surprised my husband with this trip and was looking forward to some R&R and being pampered at the spa. It was anything but relaxing!

Hard to find the lobby/ check in area. It took me over a half an hour to locate the lobby and front desk. A word to the wise, find the check in before you unload your bags. You could be walking a few blocks with your luggage since the resort is very spread out.

Our room was a Plaza room which is right next to the valet check in.These rooms were obviously built in 1965 when the resort was established. The rooms were old and not well maintained. It was so noisy at all hours. At our room, you could hear car alarms continuously going off, people honking their horns and loud children screaming at the top of their lungs at the valet area. If that wasn't enough to give me anxiety, there were loud children as well screaming and running down the hallway in front of our door and above our room. You hear the constant doors above and down the hall slamming shut at all hours. I couldn't sleep for 3 nights and was considering going home. We called the front desk & they supposedly sent security over but nothing changed. The room smelled moldy and musty and on the last day of our trip, saw mold inside the door jam that opens to the patio. In addition, the door frame for the front door didn't fit on the frame and there was a large opening under the door as well as on one side. No wonder why we could hear everything going on in the hallway!

We left the room after checking in to get something to eat and was told that we needed reservations for their restaurant and wouldn't have anything until 8:30pm. We chose instead to eat at their Bistro and boy was that a mistake. We ate inside as all of their outside tables were reserved but no one was seated at them for more than 1.5 hours when we were there. Apparently, you needed reservations to eat a coffee shop like "Bistro". All we heard at the "Bistro" was kids again screaming and running all over the restaurant, by our tables, outside and their parents did NOTHING! Apparently those who frequent this resort have spoiled children and they let them do whatever they want. No parenting or discipline whatsoever! Be prepared for a Romper Room / Lego Land/ Disneyland type of resort here.

We were told that there was a refrigerator in the room but when we got there, it was a mini bar refrigerator that didn't get very cold. We couldn't store my medication in it and had to keep in the the cooler. We would be put on a wait list. Great!!

When I booked the room, I told T.J. that I had a service animal that would be joining me and was told there would be no extra fee for an animal in the room. Before checking out, I checked the charges on the menu screen on the tv and found several errors. I called down to the front desk and was told by some jacka@@ they added $100 pet cleaning fee as my animal probably sprayed everywhere and they would have to take the room out of commission for awhile to clean it! What? My animal never "sprayed" anywhere and never has. I would let her outside to do her business and cleaned up afterwards. Luckily, was able to get the $100 removed in the morning when checking out along with an adjustment to the rate for 2 nights. When they extended our room, they forgot to change the rate in their system. Lovely!

Summary:
Pros: Grounds looked beautiful and well maintained
Spa treatments were relaxing
Nachos and burgers from the bar were really tasty
Valet / bell guy Joe was very helpful and friendly while loading and unloading our luggage.
Really trying but can't thing of one more great thing to say about this property.

Cons: Rooms smelled dirty and musty, had mold
Property was filled with spoiled & entitled children running and screaming! Many with no parental supervision at all. Reminded me of romper room and thought I had woken up at Lego Land by mistake.
Refrigerator was unusable for anything other that their overpriced drinks inside
Spa wooden lounge chairs at pool were falling a part and the green cushions had huge stains and probably hadn't been changed since I was there last in 2007.
The shower towels in the room were ripped and torn and should have been retired many years ago. Could have thrown in some fabric softener as well and they were really rough.
Food was way overpriced and, except for the bar nachos and burger, wasn't really worth eating there at all.
Under sink cabinet was falling apart of the hinges.
Found bugs coming out when I opened the cabinet to put toiletries away
In room safe supposedly works with a room key. Be prepared to not be able to get your things out as we had security come to our room to open it.

All in all, I wouldn't return. I couldn't wait to get home so I could get some sleep. Not really the vacation I was looking for after spending over $3,000. I expected much more from this "high end" resort that used to be focused on golf and spa. Now, its just overrun with unsupervised and undisciplined children yelling and screaming at all hours and staff that just doesn't care if you are enjoying your time.

Room Tip: Don't stay here... if you must, don't choose the Plaza rooms. Old & noisy. You will reg...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank skibunni70
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was our second time at La Costa (for a work meeting). We love the grounds. The accommodations are classic. The pools are great fun. The beach entry pool with sand for little ones is nice. Since our last visit the grounds and rooms seem nicer (big new water slide for older kids). Join the Omni hotel club if you're staying (and enjoy free coffees each morning).

Room Tip: If you don't want to hike back and forth, ask for a room near the pool (or whatever attraction i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2014

front desk lies to you and the manager types are very arrogant......experienced one of those nightmare check in processes that screwed up out entire schedule for the afternoon and evening....after being told twice when I called ahead about our VILLA availability before driving down from 90 minutes away that our VILLA would be ready when we got there we ended up having to wait for over 4 hours for the room to be available. At least 6 front desk staff members supposedly called to check on the room and kept telling me ''it's almost ready''. As it turns out the room hadn't been touched until I raised enough havoc that someone finally paid attention to me and after waiting over 4 hours the room was available and when presented with my keys the guy somewhat condescendingly says, ''AHHHH, sorry about the confusion and delays maybe I can give you and your daughters a free dessert''........that sealed the deal, La Costa will definitely not be in any future vacation or corporate meeting plans.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

where do I start. we pulled in and checked in. at first I was impressed that the golf cart followed us to self parking and helped us with our bag. but the rest of the trip goes down hill from there. first of all they deliberately do not disclose that there is a membership attached to the resort so it was LOUD and CROWDED. the pool was merky, they make the kids get out every hour, every chair at the pool was covered in bird droppings, we had no hot water in the room, there was only 1 restaurant open for dinner and breakfast, the food was horrible the service was even worse. Oh let's see, it gets worse. we get woken up at 7am by 3 fire alarms they don't know how to turn off. we call to see if there was a real fire but no. false alarm. we finally go back to sleep to be awoken by 30 women right outside our room doing stroller strides (they were members, not even resort guests) working out at 9am RIGHT outside our room. then we go to the marketplace to eat breakfast. THERE IS NO FOOD LEFT!!!! so we ask if we can order lunch but NOOOOO, they don't serve lunch until 11am (well then don't run out of breakfast). Bistro food is horrible, kids buffet food was cold. the eggs my husband ordered were buffet eggs (mc donalds taste better) he actually felt nauseous. The fitness classes we took were also a joke. To top if off the manager, Matthew refused to credit my room because I booked the room through American Express. Beware this place is not even close to a wellness resort much less any kind of resort!!!!!

Room Tip: the rooms smelled old and stale. the glasses/cups were dirty. the hot water didn't work and beds...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TylerPringle, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Mariana R: We're sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience at our resort. We never intentionally attempted to hide our private membership here as detailed information on The Club at La Costa can be found on our website. We sincerely apologize for the fire alarms as well. We want to make sure all of our guests receive peace and quiet during their rest, and we'll be sure to communicate new updates from the fire department for the safety of our guests. Thank you for your business, and we hope you'll re-consider joining us again in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel for the last 4 years and up until my last stay have i been dissapointed in their lack of action in addressing disruptive guests. The room above mine had people jumping up and down the entire night, after calling three times security still did not address the issue. Very dissapointing. Not sure if this is because its now owned by Omni but i don't believe i'll be going back. Unfortunate, because the rest of my experience was great.

1  Thank Claudia B

Dear Claudia B: We'd like to thank you for your business over the last several years. We strive to provide all of our guests a relaxing, family friendly atmosphere and we're sorry to hear that we fell short with your experience. We want every guest who comes to our resort to feel peaceful relaxation throughout their stay, and we're glad to hear that you had a positive experience overall.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Beautiful setting just north of San Diego and close to Legoland. Expensive but pleasant, would have liked more for the high price point. Good for young families, lots of activities, restaurants were ok but very expensive. Just lacking that extra touch to justify the price point. Very pleasant staff.