“Great time, lot's of fun, reasonable”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Spent time after XMAS at LaCosta in Carlsbad with the family (wife + 2 kids). Great resort and super helpful and accommodating staff. Nice room, perfect grounds, immaculate golf, very good food and gift shop, nice pools and 1st class tennis facilities, including clay courts. Restaurant on site was solid - good food + nice wine list + great waiter. Valet parking team, housekeeping and concierge services were absolutely first class. Package included daily breakfast, golf, spa credits. Even though we did not use the credits every day, it was still a good value considering the reasonable cost of the package. Will definitely go back again. Only issue was that their onsite kid's game room was poorly maintained with many of the games broken/not working, but that is pretty minor in my book as we only went their once over a 5 day trip.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the many landscaped regions or the golf course. Close/walking distance to the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,984)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed at La Costa for a conference. Hotel service was good, well-maintained grounds. Food was exceptional and fair-priced in most outlets. Spa looked lovely but rates were very overpriced. Enjoyed Chopra Center and close location to beach and towns in the area. Will go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member: Thank you for your kind review and so glad that you enjoyed our service and the beautiful grounds. We hope that you have a chance to enjoy a spa treatment during a future visit, so you can experience what it feels like to immerse yourself in the beautiful facility and attentive service.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Wife's company held their annual event this year at La Costa. We stayed in one of the time share villas. It was next to the road, but no issues with the noise. Beautiful room. Lots of space. I don't play golf, so I can't comment on the course. People in the group were very happy with the pool, workout room and tennis courts as well. Starbucks on premises. Excellent restaurants on site as well. Great breakfast place, the Broken Yolk, is in the shopping plaza just south of the resort entrance, right next to another Starbucks. Had lunch at Swami's in Carlsbad. A little rustic/bohemian place, but nice seats outside and good food. They have a location in Encinitas that looked pretty good, but didn't have a chance to go there. Had brunch at Union Kitchen and Tap in Encinitas. Cool local place with lots of drafts and NFL ticket.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Did a weekend getaway with a friend. Front Desk Staff was nice and helpful. They upgraded our room and gave us a choice of rooms and suggested the better choice! Our room was large, lovely and comfortable. It had a little odor to it but we opened the veranda doors and aired it out and it was fine after that. The bed and linens were awesome! The bathroom was a room in itself! Our room overlooked one of three pools! No one was using it so we joked that it was our own private pool! We had the stand alone hot tub to ourselves as well. The restaurants on site were good and fairly reasonable for a resort. Fun stores to browse through. The spa services were okay. Expensive, but it's a resort. The facial was executed well, but the steam was overpowering and suffocating. I appreciated not getting the hard sell on their products! The spa pool was crowded! I guess that's the place to hang out...literally and figuratively!!! Overall, a lovely setting, a nice little getaway. Been here before the change to an Omni and will probably stay again when I want to feel pampered!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank travelinCAfam

Dear TravelinCAfam: Everyone deserves a littlle luxury, so it's terrific to hear that you felt well cared for during your recent visit! We can't wait to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The resort has been renovated and is in excellent condition. The front desk exceeded our expectations when my husband and I become ill from the travel. They were extremely attentive, helpful, and surprised us with a complimentary tray of chicken soup, crackers and ginger ale. High class service

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Kip H
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear KipH: Glad to hear that our team provided you with some TLC while you were feeling under the weather. We hope you can return again soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My family has happily stayed at La Costa several times, including Easter, Halloween and Christmas Eve, but this last visit made me reconsider ever staying there again. During our Christmas vacation, a baby mattress was sent to our room with several tears, stains, and rusted air holes (still produce mattresses with air holes?) I called for a manager and spoke to Matt, who promised he would send the best mattress he had, apologized, and offered free breakfast. All this occurred late in the evening - bedtime - while my one-year-old son slept on the bed. Two baby crib mattresses were sent to our room, both had extensive damage; tears, holes and stains - worse than the first. No one would let their child sleep on those mattresses. No one. I was up all night, as I had no choice but to have my baby sleep in bed with us. Really makes me sad and disappointed.
We asked the person who brought the replacement mattresses to our room to take the entire crib out since it was unusable. I had hoped Matt would've followed up, after all, he did promise his best mattress and seemed truly concerned, and must've known the mattresses we were offered were even worse than the first, but we never got a call. Nor have we heard back from anyone at Omni, who was sent photos and should've received them a week ago. It's just so disappointing. If La Costa thinks babies don't deserve something better, I can only imagine what lurks under the covers of all the hotel mattresses. My biggest concern is that these mattresses have been rejected by other guests, yet the hotel doesn't seem to care enough about our children to do something about it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank takenoteon
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear takenoteon: We really appreciate the feedback you've shared here. As you know from your visits here, we're a family-friendly resort and we work hard to make parents' vacations as relaxing as possible. The experience you had is not representative of our service standards and I apologize that you had this experience. I'm checking to verify that we did receive the note you mention here and we'll certainly follow up with you directly. In the meantime, we really do appreciate that you've taken the time to share your comments.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Very solid 4-star experience; but not luxury, plus a few other minor "issues" below, so not 5-star.

Facility underwent an upgrade when it was purchased by Omni. Overall it is quite nice. Nothing negative to say about the appearance or cleanliness of the facility.

VERY friendly service. The quality of the service stood out and is something I'll remember. I apparently missed the sign that valet was $25/day, and they were kind enough to remove it from my bill.

The rooms are nice. Not amazing. But nice. Bed wasn't the most comfortable in the world, but no complaints.

My only two "issues" were the spa, and the general lack of things to do/places to hang out.

Spa: I'm well aware that resort spas have inflated pricing. That you pay "for the experience" and so on. BUT, at the very least they should provide high quality massages. I get massages on a regular basis and both my wife and I, who had a couples massage, felt that these were average massages AT BEST. I paid an extra $5 for "deep tissue", but there was no deep tissue. I came out feeling like I had been lightly rubbed with lotion. Again, I'm ok paying a lot for the spa experience, but I expect a $165 massage to be better than the $40 massages they have on Convoy st.

What to do: When I'm at a resort I'm used to having places to go and sit, other than in my room. La Costa did have a nice little lounge with live music, which we enjoyed for a bit. And they do have a sports type bar; again, both nice options. BUT, resorts tend to attract kids. Or even people like me who don't drink. We couldn't find a single place to go and relax, so we ended up hanging out in the room. For how cold it was it would have been nice to have a place to sit by a real fire. Or maybe have the heat lamps out...and on!

I don't want to discourage anyone from going. I hope you go and enjoy your stay. But we won't be going back. Not for the $750 we paid for one night's stay with dinner and massages. Not worth it to me.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timothy L

Dear TimothyL: Thanks for selecting our resort for your getaway and for your kind remarks about our beautiful facility and very friendly service. In terms of things to do here, it sounds like we should have done a better job of communicating with you before and during yours stay. At this time of year, our resort offers 152 things to do each week and a team of Experience Planners to help our guests plan a memorable and customized stay. I wish we could have done a better job of steering you to some activities and really appreciate that you've taken the time to share your review here. Thank you.