“Avoid Bluefire Grill at La Costa Resort”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Carlsbad, California
“Avoid Bluefire Grill at La Costa Resort”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Resort is generally disappointing for a property with the Omni name. But worst of all was our dinner at Bluefire Grill. Hostess told us to sit in the outdoor bar area until a table was cleaned. We ended up sitting a dirty bar table for 25 minutes. When I went back to check on our table the girl said we did not have a reservation. Then another hostess found our reservation and told us we could have a clean table I saw outside, but we should sit on the bench beside the fire until the table was set. We did and then the Assistant Manager came and asked if he could help us. We said we were told to wait until the table was set. He quickly set the table. The waitress seemed in such a hurry suddenly asking us what we wanted to eat less than a minute after we got menus. Four requests for bread and butter until someone finally delivered some. No offer for a wine refill. When our food was served the only thing said was, "Watch yourself the plate is hot." No one said "Enjoy your meal" or checked on us. The halibut was totally overcooked and served on some greens that we could not chew. We noticed other diners had the same service problem. Overpriced for the experience. Won't be back.
It was nice have the great music on the patio, but why do they take a long break at 8:30 pm. Until then the patio was full of dancing guests and a really good vibe. Can't management hire musicians that can play for 2-3 hours without a break?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from children's pool and play areas if you are on a romantic stay.
2 Thank JohnLinCBD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel could use improvement in a few areas:

We booked a premium signature room which promised a nice patio; the patio was not private, had cheap furniture, and was right next to a busy walkway. It was not something worth paying extra for.

We dined at Bluefire for breakfast as part of a package. The buffet was sad: unripe fruit, tough croissants, hard scrambled eggs and tasteless potatoes. For the prices, they could have done a lot better.

The room was spacious, but had a terrible musty smell and no water pressure in the shower.

The positives were friendly staff, adult only pool (the chaises could be nicer), and quiet pools for those who want to relax.

For the price, the food and rooms could be better.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The La Costa Resort & Spa is a tough place to review for a couple reasons. I believe it is all a matter of perspective; purpose of visit, price paid, etc.

In our case it was a quick and last minute weekend getaway at a decent rate ($250/night or so). The hotel grounds are rather nice. As a non-golfer I am not able to speak to quality of the greens etc, but they looked nice. The pool area was the highlight of our stay. The new adult pool area was a perfect escape from the weekday grind. The pool servers were attentive and pleasant. There is a tinge of "Vegas pool clubiness" that comes in to play on the weekends that may be a turn off to those just looking for peace and quiet. I enjoyed the music for the most part and outside of one random Miley-Cyrus-inspired "dancing" display by an over-served lady, that amused some and offended others. Day 2 at the pool was significantly more mellow, we did depart before the DJ arrived though.

Once we were able to check in (our room was not ready when we arrived) we got a standard plaza room that was a bit on the mildewy side. Sadly, based on prior reviews we expected this. The room itself was pretty straight forward, the nicest and most current feature being the bathroom (nice stone walk-in waterfall shower). The rest of the room was on the basic side. The bed/mattress was exposed on the sides of the bed and looked a bit old school, but it was comfortable enough. The rest of the room was just like the photos show. One bonus…. The windows open :)

The resort is pretty spread out, so although the plaza rooms may be a bit less remarkable that the suites or villas, they are more centrally located. Eating at the resort was a mixed experience. There are typical resort premiums on the food an beverages, while dining in the onsite fine dining locations touches on the astronomical range ($50+ steaks). In my experiences I was pleasantly surprised by the poolside dining and completely underwhelmed by our fine dining experience. On the odd side, the only restaurant option for breakfast is a $22/person buffet. Your other options are room service or the onsite market.

In the end, the La Costa Resort was a nice getaway location, the pool was great, the accommodations were mildewy but not bad and the food was collectively average but at times obscenely priced.

Back to "context", If I had been anxiously waiting for a big getaway to La Costa, I would have been really disappointed. If I landed here on a business trip, I would be borderline ecstatic. As an informed weekender, I was fine with what it was. Not amazing, but by no means terrible. Average.

1 Thank zebuzz
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have lived right above La Costa Resort for 18 years have heard and enjoyed the music on a lot of weekends. ALWAYS thought high of the resort. I promised my nieces I would take them there to use the pool/waterslides and stay for a night. The room and location were great. What I was surprised about was how busy the kids pool area was while we were there. This was an interesting mix. There was the members and the quests. What this reminded me of was when I grew up and I was on the swim team at the community pool. It was wall to wall people. People left dirty diapers and food on the floor by the lounge chairs. This was quite disgusting. The members were so happy to say that they have a membership. Really, what are you proud about leaving your dirty diapers and crap by the pool.

The kids pools are way too small to handle the members and the quests! What is crazy is to spend $400.00-$900.00 to stay there. I wanted to say lets go back to my house and go in the pool. I mean it was crazy!! There were so many people in every pool!!

They need to make a much bigger kids pool area to accommodate the guest and the members. I had been thinking about getting a membership there before our stay and this has definitely changed my mind.

Room Tip: Building 800 is right by the kids pool.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

First time here at the hotel. Stayed with our 3 kids. Overall the resort is quite spectacular. There are enough pools for your every mood The new Splash Pool area with the giant water slides and the arcade area kept the kids quite entertained. We spent most of our time at the adult pool and it was beautiful. Great DJ on Saturday as well as good food, nice service and fabulous drinks. Get ready to spend money though.
The room we stayed in, the La Costa Room could have been nicer, for the price we paid. It was dark and eventhough the room opened to a nice courtyard, the noise from the building air conditioning units was very annoying. Enough to keep our patio door closed most of the time. The bathrooms were nice and spacious but the amenities could be a bit nicer. I guess at almost $400 per night I expect a couple of notches more quality.
Other than that, the resort is fantastic. Beautiful well manicured grounds, always some kind of activity going on. Pretty good quality food at all restaurants. All in all a great family resort. Will definitely come again.

Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted to take a 3 day trip and ended up staying for 4 nights. Everything was amazing. We did not care for The Blue Grill Restaurant, the food is overpriced for what you get. Everything else, was beyond amazing at the resort

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Dana Point, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Perfect for families with little ones, and perfect for families with teens, and perfect for adults only. La Costa has the very private 21 and older pool for adults only, pools for teens and toddlers. Great music in the PLaza at sunset, outstanding in every sense

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!