“one of the most beautiful and friendly resort”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“one of the most beautiful and friendly resort”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

i choose this particular resort for my honeymoon. it was amazing how friendly and helpful the staff were. in particular Olga who attended us as we checked in with a great smile and very professional. the resort it self was very clean, the view was amazing and the accomedation in the room. i would definatly recommend this to anybody, family wise or another honeymoon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
JAndersonCarlsbad, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time here at the Palisades. Looking forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Stayed one week with 2 small kids. Rented a timeshare from an owner through a timeshare rental website. Got an amazing deal on a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with an oceanview and were extremely satisfied!!!

Very large and very comfortable accomodations. Very clean. Very comfortable beds with nice bedding and duvets. Great kitchen made for a very comfortable stay. Not the most luxurious of places we have stayed but extremely clean, and well maintained.......and a great place for families. Onsite laundry facility was also very handy as were the BBQ's - extremely clean and are cleaned by staff on a daily basis.

Wonderful family resort. Terrific kids pool kept the kids entertained. Also great activities for the kids, especially on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Our kids enjoyed it so much that we rescheduled our touring plans to accomodate the kids being able to participate. Great activities room with pingpong and air hockey table. Also small arcade room. Also Friday outdoor movies on Friday nights.

The resort is full of families and there are a ton of kids at the resort. Not sure if I would want to come here without kids. And floors/ceilings are thin and sensitive, so you can hear the pitter patter of little ones above you........but it didn't interfere with having a good night's sleep as we are early risers anyways...but if you are one to sleep in, it might be a problem.

No problem with wireless internet.

Karl Strauss onsite restaurant came in handy for a couple of breakfasts and a takeout dinner (cheaper than having it delivered to your room - but they will do that too). Tons of great restaurants just a short drive away.

Definately enjoyed our stay and would return AND recommend to others. We stayed here as our home base for touring south california - San Diego, La Jolla, Coronado, etc. Also went to Disney for a day and the drive was quite reasonable and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback about the Palisades. We are committed to “Making Happy Memories One Moment at a Time!” and we are so glad to hear that we succeeded in doing this for you. Hope to see you here again soon!
England
Reviewed August 19, 2010

This was our second visit to this resort, and I was even more impressed this time. When checking in we were made to feel very welcome. The apartment was a 2 bedroom with an ocean view. Very clean and well equipped, close to Legoland, which is ideal for families with young children. Staff were very helpful, the towel replacement twice a week was useful. Lovely ground and the two pools are excellent, nice to have an adult pool to relax at. Children's pool is excellent fun. great all round resort

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
It’s wonderful to hear that you had such a great time during your stay! We really strive to make each guest experience at the Palisades a memorable one, and from your positive comments we appear to have hit our mark. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort was beautiful. The staff was tremendous and we really enjoyed our stay. Convenient to the attractions in the San Diego area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We truly appreciate your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. Please come back and visit us again soon!
Orange, California
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Everything was great at this property. Requested and received my wake up call on time and had a great nite sleep. Quick check in with no problems. Nice fitness center. Would recomend to all travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SurfBunny70
At Grand Pacific Palisades we are committed to "Making Happy Memories One Moment at a Time!" It appears your stay with us was a memorable one based on your positive feedback. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon.
dana point
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We've stayed at the Grand Pacific Palisades Hotel twice now, and each time has been a pure pleasure. The hotel is beautiful, and in an outstanding location next to Legoland (which we visited each day) with a panoramic view of the ocean and the famous Carlsbad flower gardens during flower season. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and safe for our kids (including a baby). The hotel hosts some fun activities each day so if we hadn't been busy at Legoland, there was lots to do. Our 5-year-old loves the water play area at the family pool. The adjacent restaurant is great and offers room service. And we felt the hotel prices were very reasonable considering its location and services. This hotel also offers timeshares -- a great spot if we didnt' live so close. We are local, but we still visit this hotel for our Legoland "staycation" because we've had such great experiences there. We'll be coming back for sure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm thrilled to hear you had a terrific stay at Grand Pacific Palisades. We look forward to your return visit!
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Watch Your Credit Card Bill After Stays Here, or Better Yet, Avoid This Place!

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP (top tier) member. I had had a one night reservation at the Hampton Inn for one night in Carlsbad. I showed up late and they had given away my room (not only are they not supposed to give away a Diamond's room, but the are supposed to give me $100 cash if they do -- that's how much they are not supposed to do this). We were "walked" to this Grand Pacific Pallisades Hotel (which is a Hilton affiliated vacation club/timeshare thingy). I didn't know how unfortunate this would be for almost a year.

We got there at 2:30 - 3:00 AM, very tired and ready to sleep. They asked me to sign in and give a credit card for what they said was incidentals. When we got to the room, it appear that either the bed was not made from the prior guest or the maid took a nap or something. Once side of the bed appear to have been slept in and the covers put back (creases, hair, etc.) The maintenance guy who came up with new sheets acknoledged that something happened, but he wasn't sure either.

We spent an uneventful night, checked out in the A.M. (correctly told that we didn't owe anything) and went to Lego Land. We spent the following night at the Hilton Garden Inn down by the beach. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I get a charge for $260-somthing on my American Express -- A YEAR AFTER MY STAY. After FIVE calls to the property to report what appeared to be an unauthorized charge to my card, including 2-3 calls to the manager, Jay [-], I finally got a return call from the accounting department. Apparently Jay reads this forum, but doesn't return phone calls (Hi Jay -- sorry we never got to speak). The hotel claimed that since the Hampton Inn didn't pay for the room (which is Hilton policy and policy at all the major brands) the were billing me. Despite this clearly being an internal Hilton matter -- they very pointedly came after me (the accounting dope even telling me that "if they had to prove it, they have the card I signed at checkin "right here."") Nice way to treat any guest -- let alone one of the best customers Hilton has -- 60-70 nights a year at Hilton properties). A call to the Diamond desk and the HHonors folks yielded their shock and amazement as well. Amex also let me know that this vacation club thingy had also charged me $260+ back in the month of my stay (my bad for missing that, but my bill is so big, it almost requires a box), so the hotel is trying to change me over $500 for the one night stay -- and ABSOLUTELY REFUSED TO BACK DOWN.

I finally got in touch with the manager of the Hampton Inn, and she said she was totally unaware of the situation and that as far as she knew, she was never asked to pay. They did refund over $500 to my Amex to their credit. And promised to go over to the Grand Pacific Pallisades personally to be it straightened out.

So -- from a timeshare thingy that should be courting Hilton's best customers, I get charged, then overcharged (for two nights when I only stayed one and can prove it), then get absolute silence from management, then rude insistance that they are going to charge me like it or not, with no attempt to figure out the real issue. Never mind that anyone with any sense wouldn't buy one of these, or if they really wanted one, would buy one on the secondary market for a fraction of the cost posted by the resort (i.e. people don't really want them after the high pressure sales tactics).

So, Mr. and Mrs. stay-once-or-twice-a-year hotel guest -- HOW DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO BE TREATED AT THIS PROPERTY???

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank TransCon1
JAndersonCarlsbad, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your 2009 visit to the Carlsbad area. I'd like to apologize on behalf of Hampton Inn for relocating you and then failing to properly settle your stay charges and for any communication breakdown that may have occurred while trying to resolve the same. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to provide you with excellent service.