“Nice room, very close to Legoland.”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here on a "promotion deal" that we were offered when placing a reservation for a Hampton Inn. It wasn't free, but was a bit less than what we paid at the motel on the beach. This resort/hotel is located up on the hill, away from the beach. It consists of both condos and hotel units. We were given a hotel room. They tell you that you get "3 days and 2 nights", but since you can't check in until 4pm and check out is, I think 11am, it's really more like 2 nights and 1 day. Anyway, the room we were given was very nice. It had a small fridge and microwave, and it had a sliding glass door that opened up onto a small balcony. I loved that we could have some fresh air. Hilton bought this place from another company, so it isn't what you might normally expect from a Hilton. I don't know when it was built, but there were VERY few electrical outlets. They had a coffee maker in the room but when I tried to use it to make some hot chocolate, it didn't have power. It was on the large unit that contained the chest of drawers and had the TV on top. The cord went down behind, but the furniture was so close that you couldn't see if there was even any place to plug it in. The maid service was "over the top". When we entered the room for the first time we noticed that the maid had made a couple of animals out of wash clothes. One was on the bed and one in the bathroom. The bed had SO Many pillows it was hard to find a place to put them all that was out of the way so we could go to bed. The bed had one of those heavy quilt-y blankets that so many motels are using these days - we don't like them, so had removed it and placed it out of the way, too. Our gift for going to the "90 minute presentation", which turned out to be 2 hours, was 2 tickets to SeaWorld which we planned to go to right after the presentation.(We also got a voucher for $100 toward our next stay at a Hampton Inn) We don't mind using towels more than once, and we didn't want to have to undo the bed again, so we left out the "do not disturb" sign. When we got back that night there was a good sized square basket in front of our door filled with towels, a note saying they were sorry they missed us, etc, topped off with a wash cloth animal. Since we had been staying at a motel down on the beach, we were only a few miles away on check in day. My husband called to see if there was any chance of checking in early. They let us check in fairly early in the afternoon, so we were able to look around the resort a bit and spend some time by the pool. They actually have 2 pools - one for families and one "adult" pool. Both pools were basically empty. The whole place felt really empty, although I know it wasn't. I think people book here to go to Legoland, which is probably within walking distance. We sat by the "adult" pool for a few hours because it was sunnier. The pool area felt very cement-y. It was a cool day, but we were a week into our vacation and needed a "rest day" so we sat near the wind guard by the edge of the cement. They had music playing - it wasn't bad music, but if I want to listen to music I can bring my own - I prefer silence. We were near the hot tub. A few people came and went while we were there. Two of them mentioned to us that they were tired of the music, which I thought was funny. There is a Costco just down the hill, so we filled up on gas on our way out of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hi Saxeygirl,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We're so glad you enjoyed your room and the accommodations provided. We hope you had a chance to explore some of what Carlsbad has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Holly Ansley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,849)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 08/17/13. We had a wonderful and relaxing time at this resort. People at the front desk were very courteous and friendly. Our 1 bedroom, ocean view side, was very clean, spacey and bright. The bedroom stay is excellent. I have a hard time sleeping in hotels due to thin walls, but have to say I slept like a baby in this one. Our bed was heavenly & pillows were excellent. TVs are in HD which is a must for us. The bathroom was spotless. Though we never got to use the kitchen, it is very clean. The resort provides a big size family pool which includes a fairly size jacuzzi and kids fountain play area. The adult pool, on the other hand, is a big size lap pool which also includes a big jacuzzi and at night, it is lit in diff colors; cabanas; a fire pit where you can warm up and dry up. It is a view to kill at night in the adult pool, you will not be disappointed. The beach is close by. Karl Strauss bar & restaurant is next door and offers excellent food. We ate dinner at Vigilucci's Seafood & Steakhouse which overlooks the ocean, it is a must. We ate lunch at Harbor Fish Cafe, may I suggest their clam chowder, it is so good. Both restaurants are fairly close, about 3 miles away.

A shout out to, I believe her name is Wanda, at the front desk. And also to Ms. Juvy. They were both so helpful and friendly and informative of the whole place. Seemed as though they would go the extra mile for anyone. They deserve a pat on their backs.

Carlsbad itself is a beautiful place, and Grand Pacific Resort is what we call the icing on the cake.

Madeleine Hebert

Room Tip: A good coffee in your balcony overlooking the ocean is a good way to start your day. Ask for the top...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Madeleine H
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Hi Madaleine H,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We are so glad to know how much you and your husband enjoyed your visit, your room, and the accommodations. The view from the adult pool is beautiful at night. We're happy you loved it! There are a few great places to grab a bite to eat in the area as well. It sounds like you and your husband chose some delicious option. We're glad our front desk was able to assist you during your stay as well. They're pretty great at making sure our guests are as comfortable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again in the future!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was my second time staying here with my family for a Legoland trip.

Check in: We had requested a room with 2 queens and when we got there, they told us they didn't have anymore rooms with 2 queens, so we stayed in a room with a king bed and a sofa pull-out bed. Otherwise, checking in was smooth.

Room: The room had a refrigerator, microwave, a Keurig machine. The beds were not the comfiest. Everytime one person shifted, the whole bed felt like it moved.The bathroom was fine. Didn't use the toiletries provided.

There are bbqs on site and a kid's playground. There is a mini water playground for the kids which is fun in the summertime.

Location: This was the main reason we stayed here again. It was right across from the Legoland parking lot. If you walk out of the resort doors, down the street sidewalk for 5 minutes or so, there is an opening in the gate which leads to a pedestrian crossing. You cross the Legoland parking lot and you're there at the entrance to the park. Saves on parking and it's convenient. There is also a Karl Strauss Brewery which we ate at every morning. They have a breakfast buffet with an omelet station, pastries, waffle station, etc. We heard the happy hour is decent also. The service was horrible one morning and the next it was better.

This is a timeshare property, but we never participated in a presentation or anything and no one ever bothered us about it, so I can't really comment on that. I have recommended this property to friends before, but the second time around wasn't as comfortable as the first. I didn't remember the bed being so uncomfortable. Bottom line, it's a good property if you're going on a trip to Legoland with family and you get a good deal on a room.

1  Thank SassyGRL

Hi SassyGRL,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience at our resort. We're happy to hear that this was your second time visiting us and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you and your family had an exciting time hanging out at Legoland and visiting some of the restaurants in the area. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed here for 3 nights. We were in town for a wedding, and the hotel was centrally located for the wedding festivities, as well as visiting nearby attractions. We paid over $200+ a night. The room was extremely small and outdated. The amenities were limited. Housekeeping poor. Our impression was that the staff were more interested in satisfying the timeshare guests/owners than the nightly guests. I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Holly A, Front Office Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi JBruno,

We're sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding your recent visit to our property. We hope that you and your guests enjoyed the wedding you attended. We apologize if any of our staff gave an impression that our timeshare owners/guests are more important than any other guests in the building. Our guests' satisfaction is our number one goal. We apologize if we fell short of that and hope to better serve you should you wish to stay with us again in the offer.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Visited this hotel a part of a Hilton package where they offer those with a specific minimum income a "discounted" 2 night stay and some other freebies in exchange for listening to a "one and a half to two hour" sales presentation for Hilton Timeshares.
The hotel room was fine - but no better than your standard 2 queen room in any average motel. Same size, same design, smaller refrig, beds comfortable but nothing special. The grounds were very nice and the staff was especially nice and accommodating. They will drive you to local attractions within 5 miles for only the price of a tip. Wi-Fi was free - but ONLY because I was looking at the timeshare - other wise you have to pay (seriously PAY for Wi-Fi - who does that - free in most other places)!
The kids pool area was especially nice - for the kids - even a little waterslide and a warm hot tub. The playground etc was also nice. However since it was more associated with the timeshare apt area it was very crowded - 20-30 kids in the hot tub.
The adult pool area was very nice - lap pool - temp too warm to be refreshing but others may like bathtub temperature pool. I very much wanted to use the adult hot tub - but it was closed - no signs stating when it would open. I asked at the front desk and found no one even knew it was broken, not informed me about the several smaller hot tubs in the timeshare apts area. Another guest had to lead me to one.
The hotel does not have any kind of a complimentary breakfast at all, not even coffee in the lobby in the morning. There are no restaurants on the premises either.

The timeshare presentation was an experience. Based on some calculations to show me how I could stay at a Hilton apt for a fraction of what I would spend for hotels over the next 20 years it initially looked interesting. FINALLY gave me the price -that I can look at what was written by hand by the sales man but I could not take it with me - because of course it was "only for today") I also could not take the info on how many points the vacations cost.
I repeatedly told them I was uncomfortable with not being able to see the fine print - response - "you can see fine print when you sign up and pay a deposit" - and "I'm not supposed to mention this but you can cancel within 7 days". So with this many red flags and the amount of money - I wanted to think about it. After 2 of them talking to me I was then taken to another person who offered a trial membership for just under $2,000. This was also interesting - I almost went for it because the $$ went toward the permanent membership until I realized they had "accidentally" forgotten to tell me about the $1,000 per year maintenance fee (!!!). This doubled the "quoted" price (that I could not take with me) and of course changed the already dubious calculations dramatically - the price was off by 100% - SCAMS don't get much worse than that. This ended up being 2k a year for about a week of vacation each year (maybe a little more if you go to unpopular places off season.) For $2000 a year I can pay for a lot of rooms, and leave the $40,000 invested in my retirement fund earning money. BEWARE

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Travlermicro
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi Travlermicro,

On behalf of Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, we want to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced while vacationing at our property. While there are certain benefits associated with our membership, it is certainly not our intention to make those learning about our membership uncomfortable in any way. We understand your frustrations and your review concerns us. We'd appreciate an opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail with one of our representatives and invite you to email us at hansley@gpresorts.com with your contact information so that we can get in touch with you.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a wonderful time. It is close to the beach, but also has two wonderful pools. The free shuttle service brought us to the beach and many great restaurants in the area. The shuttle driver was friendly, courteous, and prompt. Everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. We got great nights' sleep as the beds and pillows were so comfortable. We loved the underground parking lot that was always well-lit. My daughter enjoyed the arcade and game room. We had to do laundry once and the laundry room was clean and bright. We were able to enjoy beverages from Karl Strauss poolside. When housekeeping came, they were quick, efficient, friendly, and non-intrusive. Just walking through the resort was relaxing as the landscaping around it was great. It was a wonderful trip and we loved the resort!

Room Tip: From what we could tell, all the rooms were great. We had a wonderful ocean view from our room, but...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jamie W

Hi Jamie W,

We're thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. It's so great to know that you and your family had a wonderful time relaxing by the pool, visiting the beach, and that your daughter enjoyed our arcade and game room. We're glad you had a wonderful stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had many disappointments to our stay here. The photos looked so great on the website, but it was not that nice in person. THey do have the amenities listed, but they are not as shiny-nice as the photos show and there is such a weird disconnect between the hotel and the condos, I felt. When I booked online, I thought I 'upgraded' to a one bedroom villa hotel room but when I arrived and read the 'pamphlet' they gave me, there was a strange housekeeping schedule that basically meant you got towels exchanged daily and very little else. On Tuesdays/Thurs it said 'towels and trash taken out'. What kind of hotel, much less 'resort' has this kind of policy?? They even listed what you should do before check out like, load the dishwasher etc..I expect that when I rent a condo on vrbo etc, but not when I stay at a hotel! Also, when I booked on expedia, I never read anything about how housekeeping was so shoddy, which annoyed me, especially considering this was an over $250 a night (on sale, mind you) place..? Basically, in 5 nights, I got 4 days of bed-making (the first day I had to call and inquire why the beds weren't made and they made them after that), fresh towels everyday (lucky me!) and *one* day they actually vacuumed and cleaned. (We are very tidy hotel guests, too, by the way and I don't have to have the sheets changed, but come on, people, the standard should be making the bed, vacuuming and wiping down surfaces).
At check-in we arrived at noon and had been up since 4 am traveling with our 5 year old and infant and there was no room ready-fine, we were early, but the check in woman kept reminding me that they do not *have* to be ready until 5pm. First of all, what kind of check-in is so late unless they are not staffing their housekeeping adequately? (also explains how they basically change out towels mostly) and secondly, you don't have to keep saying that, a better customer-oriented answer would be 'we'll be sure and call you as soon as we get a room ready for you". Thankfully, one was ready an hour or so later, but of course, it was the first floor next to the elevator and next door to the ice machine-perfect. You can hear *every* step a child runs up and down the hallways upstairs as well as 'bed shaking' noises (haha) so do request top floor and even then, you will hear your neighbors. Also, the a/c is LOUD and woke me up several times a night (and needs to be adjusted because it runs lower at night and I got hot). If you are a heavy sleeper, maybe you'll be okay. Do not expect a large child or adult to be comfortable on the pull out sofa-it was the worst I've ever laid down on-like lying on springs only)
Also, we made the mistake of agreeing to do the time share speech after we arrived (ie we didn't arrange it before so got no 'special room or rate' etc..) and it was very pressured (as expected, but they promote it as though they will not pressure you) and almost comical in their cult-like attitude. I couldn't even leave the room (I stayed 2 hours, I agreed to 90 mins) without the saleswoman chasing after me saying that I have to have my 'offer' signed off on by the financial person (the "closer" , it seemed). Ha! Then, they have you 'sign out' in another area where you are hammered for a different set up of a time share (like a try-before-you-buy-we escaped that one after only 20 mins), but at that point, I just wanted to escape the madness and enjoy my family vacation. My advice is, don't do it, no matter how attractive they say it will be for you. It was insanity and yes, put a damper on our stay there.
Bottom line is, it's a decent hotel and the grills, pools and activities are nice, but again, you pay for almost all the 'extra' activities like s'mores night and crepe morning etc..(this is no Disneyworld resort, let me assure you). I would only recommend this hotel if you want to be a 15 min walk from legoland (saving you the parking fee) and that's it. Also there's a Premium Outlet 5 mins away and we had great experiences at the Karl Strauss in the parking lot.

Room Tip: Top floor, this is a thin-walled hotel. Bring white-noise machine if you're a light sleeper. Avo...
2  Thank ajc817

Hi ajc817,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We're truly sorry to learn of your recent visit with us. We'd like to apologize for any trouble you may have experienced while checking-in. We can understand how frustrating it may have been since you and your family were traveling many hours, to not have had a room ready, or be told that you would have to wait. We hope that the noise from our other guests did not disturb much of your stay. Our guests are always welcome to ask our front desk if they'd like a room change. Please do not hesitate to do so, should you experience these concerns in the future. We'd appreciate an opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and invite you to contact us at hansley@gpresorts.com. We hope to speak with you soon.