“Excellent holiday in 2-bedroom villa”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Second stay in the resort and stayed again in the 2-bedroom villa. Very good choice with young children. Big living room with kitchen, one master bedroom and one smaller bedroom. Had an ocean view villa which treats on nice sundowners most of the days. Resort is child friendly with playground. Swimming pool also available. Legoland is on walking distance.

Room Tip: If travelling with family recommend the villa style room. Be aware to book in advance.
2  Thank Jans_family

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed here from 3/29/12 to 3/31/12 with my wife, 2.5 year old son, and mother-in-law. The purpose of this trip was to visit Legoland.

The good: (1) located right across the street from Legoland so you can just walk. Easy access to and from freeway; (2) we stayed in a 2-BR suite which was spacious; (3) large kid-friendly pool and water play area and separate adult lap pool; (4) rooms were pretty quiet, although if you get a 2BR, the room next to the courtyard could be loud during the day with all the kids in the pool.

The bad: (1) the rooms are a bit dated - I don't think I've stayed in a hotel within the last five years that didn't have flat panel televisions. This place is still using tube TVs with crappy resolution; (2) beware the discounted Legoland tickets are not available if you stayed two nights like we did. Not sure how long you have to stay in order to be able to qualify/ buy discounted tix [clarification - they offered us $2 off per ticket, but we were led to believe we could get 15% off]; (3) they claim to have a private pedestrian access to Legoland, but it's just the same pedestrian access available to any Joe-Schmo off the street; (4) the adult lap pool is too warm for lap swimming. Must've been upper 80s which is fine for kids, pregnant ladies, or the elderly, but if you do any lap swimming, it was just uncomfortable.

The ugly: well, the decor is not the greatest looking, but it's functional. There's a reason why the photos on their website focus on the pool/ lobby and not the rooms.

8  Thank SJ_tramp
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This hotel is nice and clean. Great location near the flower fields, outlet shopping and Legoland.
Fun activities for the family. A great water play area for the children. I hated the staff here. Not friendly at all. Never greeted upon arrival. I was just standing there waiting for someone to say something. They never did. The 2nd time I booked this hotel they gave my room away. I booked it way in advanced and they said their computer had a glitch so they sent me to another property they owned. That place was a dump and I was very disappointed. After a few attempts I did get a full refund. I just wish the staff was better! The front desk staff....

Room Tip: Take the free shuttle to Legoland
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nattravels
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is one of the nicest resorts! They have thought of everything possible to make you comfortable. The view is gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful! The gym is one of the best hotel gyms I have ever been in. It had really nice equipment and plenty of options. The adult pool was so peaceful, I could've stayed there all day. And I could've if I'd wanted to because there is a phone where you can order food and they'll bring it to you. Even the lawn chairs were comfortable. We didn't use the family pool, but it looked like a ton of fun for kids to play in. The service was very friendly overall, too. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Natalie B
hollyansley, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

On behalf of the Grand Pacific Palisades Team, I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience here at the Palisades. We strive to ensure our Guests have an enjoyable vacation experience. Wonderful that you were able to enjoy one of our outstanding swimming pools and our well equipped gym. Again, thank you, Holly Ansley, General Manager.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We just returned from a 7 night stay at this resort. We had a two bedroom top floor unit that did not have water views. Water views or views of the flower fields would have been great. The units are large and we were impressed by the cleanliness. The TVs could be upgraded, but this was not a big deal to us. We read a lot of reviews about inadequate sound proofing, but did not find this to be a problem. Perhaps this was because we were on the top floor.
The grounds are well maintained, and immaculate. The underground parking was convenient and there are elevators as well as stairs for access. There are also plenty of trash and recycling bins around the resort.
We had dinner at Karl Strauss as well as room service. We were pleased with the food and the service each time.
A quick walk to Legoland (we rented a wagon for our stay and walked to Legoland with our two small boys and our gear in the wagon).
The resort is very close to the Premium Outlet Mall.
The weather was a bit cool while we were there, so we didn't spend much time in the pool, but the family pool is warm so you can manage it in cooler weather. Towels are available at the fitness center, which is right next to the family pool.
Our kids loved the playground.
I was told at check in that I'd been selected as "Grand Guest" and was suddenly whisked off to another area to finish checking in. We were offered complimentary valet services for the week, but did not use it. It felt more like a means to get us to attend a time share presentation than any real benefit of being Grand Guest. There was definitely pressure to attend, at check in and then with a follow up phone call, but we were on a family vacation and didn't want to spend an hour and a half at a sales pitch to have the $16/day resort fee waived. We value our family time when we are on vacation.
This is a very family friendly resort.
We found the service to be excellent, from front desk staff, to restaurant staff, to maintenance and housekeeping.

1  Thank familytravellerz
hollyansley, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

The Grand Pacific Palisades Team thanks you for sharing your experience. It is very nice to hear you had an enjoyable family vacation. We strive to ensure our Guests have a memorable experience. LEGOLAND is within walking distance or a short wagon ride from the property. Again, thank you. Holly Ansley, General Manager.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

After doing much research online for the best Legoland/hotel package, I chose the Grand Palisades. Not only was it the lowest price but also included two free breakfast buffett passes at their onsite resturant the Karl Srauss Brewery.
The Good: The hotel was convienently located and had a private entrance to Legoland, but the complimentary shuttle when scheduled can take up to sevem passengers to Legoland and they give you a number to pick you up whenever you are ready. No parking fees,
The rooms are nice and have mini fridges and microwaves as well as DVD players. They also have balconies where you can sit outside.There is also a Kiddie pool with a waterpark area for kids as well as an adults only pool.
The staff is very nice and on the night we stayed they had $3 ice cream sundays in the lobby.
The bad: They took along time checking me in because I paid with Cash. At night you could hear some drunk people from the wedding there that day and in the morning the walls are very thin and you could hear people with crying babies who were also very rude, They did not give me the code for the free wireless internet or the code to the kiddie pool which should have been a given.
The ugly: I had no real issues with the Hotel itself but the people at the Karl Strauss Brewery were HORRIBLE! the waitress completley ignored us, did not offer us coffee and took forever to get our change while helping other customers. The other waitress and manager were just as rude as her or worse. They seemed to not really care about the bad service.
The food was awful and greasy, there were no cups or plates and you had to ask for them. The eggs and potatoes were cold and when the person came to refill them he splashed them on the counter where we were standing!
You would be better off going to Dennys or somewhere el;se to eat then this place!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room not near any toddlers if you don't like to be woken up really early.
7  Thank seajay11
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I traded a time share week at this Resort. We have two Time Share Resorts that are rated "Gold Crown" with RCI and this Resort is as wonderful, and in some ways more elegant. We had a two bedroom, ocean view, with full kitchen. Very clean, nicely decorated, and the grounds and facilities superb. The kiddie pool is a wonderful playarea. The adult pool has two large hot tubs and firepits. The nearby "on-site" restaurant was basically a bar-food establishment. However, many restaurants and an Outlet Mall with many restaurants is less than a mile away. Easy access to the Interstate. I would recommend this Resort to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terry Reed B
hollyansley, Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

The Grand Pacific Palisades Team thanks you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay. Our Staff is truly dedicated to providing our Guests with memorable happy moments doing our best to ensure all of your needs are continuously meet. We are very excited that we are coming into the season for Carlsbad's World Famous Flower Fields to bloom, along with our panoramic ocean views and nearby outlet shopping and restaurants, Grand Pacific Palisades Resort & Hotel is the perfect vacation destination. Again, thank you for sharing your experience. Sincerely, Holly Ansley - General Manager.