“A nice suprise.”

Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed February 19, 2008

This lodge was a nice surprise. We visited San Diego for a long weekend in order to take our kids to Legoland. I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive place to stay near the beach - it didn't have to be fancy, 'cause we weren't going all the way across the country to sit in a hotel room. The Beach View Lodge fit the bill perfectly.

The location is perfect - right across from the beach, within easy walking distance to plenty of restaurants, cafes, and shops, and about a ten minute drive to Legoland. There is a small park directly across the street from the hotel where people gather to watch the surfers and the sunset. As well, there is a walkway along the beach, plus one up on street level, perfect for walking, running, biking, all while admiring the Pacific. Carlsbad is very pedestrian friendly.

The hotel desk clerks were friendly and efficient, and provided us with a stack of beach towels to use, along with a map of California. We did not use the pool or jacuzzi, but they both looked clean. The courtyard of the hotel is nicely landscaped. The sun deck overlooking the beach was a really nice place to sit out of the wind and people-watch.

The rooms appear to have been updated fairly recently, contrary to some of the other reviewers who said the rooms looked dated. They weren't spectacular, but nice enough, and like many other reviewers noted, the beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in, with fluffy pillows, cotton sheets, and a wonderful duvet.

There was also a small fridge, perfect for our stash of bottled water, in the cabinet under the TV.

The continental breakfast was nothing special - boiled eggs, fruit, a choice of cereals, bagels and muffins. I highly recommend crossing the street and walking a few blocks toward the village to get breakfast at the Daily News Cafe. There is also a Starbucks a few blocks down from the hotel.

Carlsbad was pretty easy to get to. I-5 runs straight up through the city, so you can get there easily from the airport, but there is also a scenic route that goes through several small towns, which I recommend as a route as long as it is not a Friday afternoon!

I recommend the Beach View Lodge. If you're not planning to spend hours lounging around your hotel room, you will be glad you chose it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Decatur_mom

Reviewed December 27, 2007

Our stay was Great! Awesome/Friendly Staff and an incredible Location!!!
The Sleeping rooms are OK they are older and awkward. The Kitchen is a waste of space and still 1970ish along with the Bathroom.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Great friendly staff. The loction is perfect, a 5 minute walk downtown and across the street from the beach. Small pool and jacuzii. The breakfast area/room has an amazing ocean view, we lingered there watching the dolphins and surfers while drining our coffee.

Only reason not to give it an "Excellent" is that the rooms are just OK, though we were never in the room anyway. I am not complaining, for $150 a night this place is a steal.

Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with 4 other rugby pals for the Mud Run at Camp Pendleton. Booked it at $125/night for standard room with double beds.

Hotel was clean and the included breakfast had a great selection. Made it very convenient for us since our race was early in the morning and the breakfast opened early.

The hot tub was nice but had way too much cleaning chemicals in it - and it was a bit small.

You can't beat this location for Carlsbad. The beach is right across the street -- great way to wake up in the morning with an ocean swim. There's a really good fish/chips place right across the street too. Be sure to check out the Grand Deli as well (good for breakfast and snacks... at Jefferson and Grand).

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Liked the room. It had very, very comfortable beds. Two doubles rather than queens. Convenient layout. Quiet. Close to beach (across the street) and close to village. Attentive, professional, mature staff. Will stay again, especially for the very reasonable price.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed June 11, 2007

First- this location is great. You can walk to shops and restaurants. The beach is right across the street and you can walk for miles, either on the beach or on a paved walkway that runs along the beach. The sunsets are spectacular.

The room was pretty average. But the deck and common areas were pleasant enough.

I had two complaints that made me only rate this a 2. First of all, while I was in the shower over an hour prior to check out housekeeping knocked on the door even though I had posted the do not disturb sign. This was a little jarring as the walls and doors are really thin and the shower was right next to the door. Apparently housekeeping really wanted in, because right after I got out of the shower a male employee pounded on the door repeatedly and tried to get into the room. I hurridly dressed and answered the door- on which the do not disturb sign was still posted. He asked me if I was leaving. I told him I would be checking out in the next fifteen minutes. At first I thought that I had misunderstood the check-out time, but I confirmed at the desk and online that check out was at 1100 and it was barely 1000 when they started banging on the door.

In my haste to finish packing and check out, I left 2 belongings in the room. I realised what I had done when I was over an hour away. I called the hotel and they confirmed that they had the items and would take them to UPS to be shipped. This was my second major complaint- they apparently never followed through because UPS never contacted me, the items never showed up, and the local UPS had no idea what I was talking about when I contacted them. I know that it is not the hotel's responsibility to ship forgotten belongings, but most will as long as the guest pays for the shipping. Also, had they not assured me that was their normal procedure and volunteered the service, I would have returned to the hotel to retrieve the items or had a friend who lived nearby retrieve the items.

Moral of the story- don't rely on the do not disturb sign, plan on checking out early, and forget nothing at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2007

My boyfriend and I had planned to go to Palm Springs for a night on Thursday April 12th, but when we got there it was rainy and windy (yes, in the desert!!), so we detoured to Carlsbad. We happend upon this hotel, and booked a room for $150, which was extremely reasonable considering the location and amenities. It's definitely not a 5-star hotel, but it is in very good condition and has a lovely view of the beach. There's a sun deck with lawn chairs that's perfect for lounging after the lovely continental breakfast in the upstairs lobby, and the view of the state beach is beautiful. The room was large and in good condition, with a kitchenette and fireplace. We will definitely be back to this charming town, and will most likely be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple