“Pretty decent”

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Temecula
“Pretty decent”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I gave this hotel 4 stars but it is not a 4star hotel. It is pretty good though and I would definitely stay there again. We had room 71 on the 3rd floor. It was a large(ish) room with 2 comfortable double beds. Very clean. We did not get a balcony which is probably the only negative. But the room was in the far corner and very quiet. The breakfast was great and included. They had hard boiled eggs, breads, yogurts, breakfast sandwiches, cereals, fruit, bagels, juices and coffee. The pool is small and there isn't any room to get a suntan but with the beach right across the street, who needs to tan by the pool??? Staff was very friendly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My daughter and I were pleased. Here's what we thought:
We had a king suite with fold out couch bed, the room was, quite large, very quiet, very clean, well equipped with microwave, refrigerator, stove, etc. The bed was very comfortable. There was barely a view of the ocean out of the bedroom window. The breakfast was typical nothing cooked other than microwave. Parking under the units, not secured but off the street. The heated pool and jacuzzi are small but hey, we came for the beach not to swim in a pool. Access to the beach is across a fairly busy divided road but there is a light with a crosswalk right at the hotel. There is a ramp to the beach right there and bathrooms and showers at the bottom of the ramp. This is an ideal family beach IMHO with lots of sand, lifeguards and patrols. Walking distance to plenty of restaurants and shops. A good way to have dinner with and ocean view is to order some take out (check review on the local pizza joints) and eat on the excellent deck!

Room Tip: All I can say is room 44 is big. clean and quiet but not much view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I wanted to surprise my mom for her birthday in July, with a beach vacation. I went to the Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge, Carlsbad in January to chose the perfect room for her. They allowed me to visit several rooms and book the room I wanted. When July came the room I specifically chose was mine. I wanted Sprakling cidar waiting on her arrival and mints on the pillow and they arranged that for me. What a great location!! The breakfast area over looks the ocean, as does the deck. The staff are outstanding, over and beyond what you would ever expect. Breakfast is delicious. Birthday Girl was thrilled with her gift. I would highly recommend a stay here!!! After much research and footwork looking for the best place at the best price This Best Western Plus is the WINNER!!!

Room Tip: Room 62 or any room on the south side is great!
2 Thank Karen B
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just returned from 3 nights at this hotel. Believe me, I ready a million reviews before booking our stay! I mainly have positive things to say. Number one, LOCATION. You really cannot beat the proximity to the beach and even the view of the ocean. Make sure to get a room with a balcony, though. Staff was very friendly in every department. This is a charming little property that is not fancy at all, but it is clean and secure and all guests seemed very content and relaxed. Outdoor corridors, but we went to Carlsbad to enjoy the ocean air, so we loved that layout.

Yes, it seems that the common areas are modernized, but the rooms are still a work in progress. This is a Best Western, so we really didn't expect much from the room. However, the bed was REALLY comfortable for our tastes, and the pillows were firm, not squishy. Yes, the bathroom is tiny, but it's just the toilet and bathtub; don't know why other reviewers had such heartburn over size of bathroom. We had a separate sink and counter and that was plenty of room.

I will opine that the complimentary breakfast is not worth the trip down the hall. Go to Cafe Elysa or Daily News Cafe for breakfast instead. So many great places to eat are within walking distance, even the Carlsbad Village shopping center.

Room Tip: South side, third floor, get a balcony.
3 Thank Merlekins
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The rooms are old,outdated and are not what they show on the website along with the plumbing; the sink, toliet and shower clog up with every use...

The jacuzzi is very, very SMALL!!!

The breakfast consists of Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches and donuts.

The only good thing is the location but certainly not worth the cost.

1 Thank Lynn S
mtadame, General Manager at Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

We feel strongly our hotel provides a value. Typically, our rates represent a bargain for a hotel with our beach proximity. Although you didn't enjoy our breakfast, the continental buffet that includes freshly baked pastries, fresh fruit, juices, a rotating variety of hot items and other goodies, it is one of our most positively mentioned services.

New plumbing was installed in our hotel in 2012, but occassionally, we have difficulty due to improper use of the plumbing. In fact, in July, and possibly during your stay, we had a guest accidentally dispose of a towel in a toilet, causing some temporary problems to some rooms. Although we called all rooms to explain the problem, and worked all night to resolve the issue, we're sorry if you were affected without notice.

We hope you'll reconsider your decision to not stay with us in the future. We'd love to show you how great our intimate hotel on the beach may be. Toward that end, please call if we may be of assistance: 760.729.1151.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I just came from a 3 night stay at this great little hotel. First of all, it's a Best Western, so the hotel is not elegant or of a 4-star caliber. It is more of a middle-aged nice, open courtyard inn. It reminds me of a mid-century apartment building.

However, for the price, this place is great. Firstly, the lobby and the breakfast room are fantastic. New, pleasant and serving delicious food. There is a nice computer and desk for use in the lobby, a Keurig coffee machine for fresh brews and some really great comfy chairs so one can sit and enjoy the killer ocean view. The breakfast area is beautiful and has an amazing beach view.

Secondly, this place is across the street from a gorgeous beach. Just walk out the front gate and cross the street! It's close by Legoland and everything else in Carlsbad. I really loved the location.

Thirdly, it is a little tired in spots, but they are improving. The new breakfast room and lobby show that. The staff told me they are redoing the center courtyard in the fall, after the summer rush, with new walkways and landscaping.

Lastly, the staff is fantastic. Everyone I ran into was great! Edwina, from Housekeeping was really nice, and Lola at the Front Desk was fantastic. I also got to talk to the manager, Mark, who was very friendly and smiling. No wonder the staff is the same.

I've stayed lots of places, from very expensive to SRO's. This place is really great for the money and perfect for an affordable, well located summer vacation!

Room Tip: Look for specials on their website. We're Rewards members, so we get special mailings.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diegodad2
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This lodge is interesting because some things are modernized and some aren't. The location is great, which is the best thing. Right across from the beach, and a short walking distance to the village. I was a little nervous about the parking which is underneath and not secured, because I have a brand new car, but it worked out alright and I had no problems. The beds are comfy, but the balcony and slider opens out to a very very noisy side street. Then again, Carlsbad Blvd. is pretty noisy so facing the water at one of the other hotels would have been just as noisy. The room is a good size and there is a mini kitchenette. The bathroom is teeny, I barely fit into it, and I am only 5'2". The bathroom is sort of dated, tile grout dirty, floors old lino, etc. The rooms open to a small courtyard and the stairs and hallways are old, but this part is secured from both the front and the parking stalls which is good. The picture of the front of the hotel is deceiving as that is the most modern part of the hotel - just saying. The breakfast is great - continental, but with tons of choices.

Room Tip: Towards the front of the building is best - we were in 34 on the second floor. Would ask for closer...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family