“Can't Wait to Return!”
Review of Beach Terrace Inn

Beach Terrace Inn
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I just returned from a fabulous weekend at the Beach Terrace Inn. I hesitate to write about this gem, because I'm tempted to keep it a secret. I understand that it has undergone major renovations, but since it was my first stay, all I know about are the luxurious rooms, soothing lobby/lounge and incredibly helpful staff that we enjoyed for the weekend.

The first thing I saw in the morning were the waves out my window. And I mean the very first thing before my head left the pillow. We saw lots of dolphins at play in the beautiful Carlsbad waves. The Inn is built on the bluff, so you have hotel/sand/water. Comfy lounge chairs around the pool that overlook the beach with a wind protection, so you can be comfortable on chilly days.

While we were in walking distance of highly rated restaurants and shopping, we chose instead to order out for pizza (the food from Paradise Pizza was outstanding.)

We have already booked our favorite room for next year. It's a place we hope to return for many years to come.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was pretty annoyed to have my room reservation of a full ocean view downgraded to a partial ocean view due to a "burst pipe." Funny how no plumbing trucks were on the scene during any point of our stay. Plus, we got moved to a main thoroughfare below reception and next to the main stairway. It was so brightly lit, I couldn't get the room dark and slept horribly.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carmat217
mtadame, Manager at Beach Terrace Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Anticipating a vacation and having unexpected problems stand in the way of your well earned relaxation is terrible. We understand how frustrating it can be and are very sorry for our role in it. Unfortunately, the 'burst pipe' was an unavoidable issue and, in fact, the room is not yet in working order. At such an intimate hotel (of only 48 rooms), we have limited alternatives on the rare occasions that problems arise and we feel terrible the available option was not satisfactory. We are eager to make it right for you, however. We now know the wine and fruit sent to your room was not enough and we'd be happy to discuss with you what else we might do to convince you of our sincere regret. Please call the hotel directly at 760-729-5951 or 800-433-5415 and ask for Kent or Chris.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

My family have been loyal customers for the past 5 years. The location is ideal. You are right on the beach in walking distance of dozens of great restaurants and shopping. The recent renovations are incredible and the staff is very friendly. I will not stay anywhere else in Carlsbad.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

Other than last year when they were in the process of renovating the entire hotel (so we stayed in a hotel across the street that we HATED), we've been coming here ever year for a week in the summer. This was year 7. We liked it a lot before it was renovated and enjoyed it a lot first because it was MUCH CHEAPER but also because it had a kitchen. I was a little apprehensive about staying for 8 entire days w/o the kitchen and at the much higher price. However, I must say that we had so much fun, it never really seemed like a problem. I guess I never cooked as much as I thought I did ;) Because the hotel is right on the beach and has a heated pool and jacuzzi, we spend our days going back and forth between the ocean and the pool, and the hotel has the warm shower in between to rinse off making it very easy to do. The week flies by...8 days seems like maybe 3 for me and the kids. There are lots of couples too and the remodel is beautiful and makes the hotel a very nice place to stay, but the pool during the day is a little more kid friendly. However there are plenty of deck chairs that face away from the pool and look out onto the ocean for the grown ups who want to just relax. It's a nice, relaxing beach hotel. If you love the ocean, you'll love this hotel even if you just sit on your balcony and watch the people go by.

1  Thank NPMom_10
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The hotel could not be in a more perfect spot with its own beach access. Carlsbad is great spot to stay and with this hotel you can park your car and leave it in the same spot until you leave. We chose the oceanview room, which was great, because we could still hear the ocean at night, and had a full panoramic view of the ocean. I would recommend the ocean front rooms for the location but it comes with a bigger price tag. The hotel staff was very friendly and even helped us check in a few hours early and gave us a key to access the beach until the room was ready. The only thing I could complain about was the price but for the location its was worth every penney for us. Thanks for memorable stay!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The staff at the hotel were friendly, courteous and wanting to make your vacation the best.

The room we originally booked online was disappointing as we had paid extra for an ocean view and barely had a side glance of it with more rooms in front of us. After speaking with reception we were offered a room with a full ocean view but then had to pay an additional $50 per night as it had 2 x king beds instead of queen beds. This wasn't a good start as we already felt we had paid more than enough for a room, but having said all of this, the hotel room we had was facing directly to the ocean. No traffic in sight, just the sound of the waves and people enjoying the beach and hotel swimming pool. The room was large with two king size beds and had a large plasma TV, the room was modern and contemporary. The bathroom had a large shower with modern detailing and fixtures.... Shampoo, Conditioner and Shower Gel all provided in very easy attached to the wall containers with pump action nozzles...

The location of the hotel was perfect if you want the beach vacation, just walk out of your hotel bedroom and down some steps to the beach! There are many great restaurants within walking distance, offering traditional American, Mexican and Italian foods.

I loved the location, the staff (especially the friendly staff down at the poolside), the continental breakfast on the terrace and the quality bedroom facing the ocean...

If I had to say anything negative it is minor other than having to pay more for the ocean view room we had expected to get... The access gates to the pool and beach were too noisy when they shut. They need a mechanism to shut the gates quietly.

The hotel is not the cheapest but as I always say... "You get what you pay for".

A great hotel in a perfect beach location...

Reviewed July 11, 2010

from the moment we arrived i went into complete relax mode. Walked the beach every morning~ check my email at the front lobby~ never had to wait. I love the policy of changing the beds!!!! You guys have the right idea!!! All the employees were very friendly and helpful! love the breakfast lady!!!! Cathi at the front desk is the best! Our bathroom was awesome! the showers were absolutley awesome..so spacious and comfortable~ room was immatulate.We'll be back next year!!! Thank you for a wonderful time! My hubby said he misses the hot tub the most!
thank you!