“just love the Beach Terrace Inn”
Review of Beach Terrace Inn

Beach Terrace Inn
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed July 16, 2013

just got back from my third stay at the Beach Terrace Inn and already want to make plans for my next visit ! My son and family live close by, but when I come out and visit them I love staying on the beach and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean waves. I stay in the King ocean front rooms (can't get any closer to the waves). The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are to die for. The furniture on the balcony is so comfortable. in the early mornings I love to sit and watch the surfers and people fishing, jogging, or just taking a leisurely stroll. At night it's so relaxing on the balcony I've already fallen asleep on the couch out there !

Everything is within walking distance with a great choice of restaurants, casual outdoor cafes, wine tasting and tons of small stores.

I love that the room has a safe, so when I hit the beach I don't feel like I have to take my purse with me. Also nice to have a fridge and comfy robes.

My son and 2 1/2 year old grandchild joined me on the beach and they provide chairs, umbrellas, beach towels and even beach toys !

I stayed there by myself so didn't ask for room service the first few days, and after the third day when I returned there was a basket filled with towels, toiletries and extra coffee outside my door. How thoughtful !

I actually changed my trip to work around availability at the Beach Terrace as I'm now spoiled and it's the only place I want to stay !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nancy D

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I tried the Beach Terrace Inn this year for our family vacation and had a fabulous time. The location is perfect, the rooms are updated and a nice size, service was excellent, and the breakfast in the morning was just enough and convenient. This is a hidden gem in Carlsbad, we will be returning!

1  Thank deanared
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Wonderful stay at this beautiful inn! Traveled with my elderly parents and stayed in a pool terrace room. They loved the view from their balcony and the easy access to the breakfast each morning. This Inn is a hidden gem! We will return with more family members! Thank you to the fantastic staff and manager!

Room Tip: Pool terrace rooms have an elevator for easy elevator access and fantastic views of the ocean and po...
1  Thank beatle15
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've often considered booking this hotel as I have a lot of clients in the Carlsbad area but they have either been booked or the price seemed prohibitive. I have to say, it's WELL WORTH the price! I think maybe I was a little intimidated by the Google Maps street view but, believe me, it does no justice to this little gem.

Starting with convenient and free parking, the front desk staff was delightful. We were put in a 3rd story ocean front which is truly ocean front. The room was impeccable - extremely clean, updated and huge!

The continental breakfast is sufficient with good coffee and breakfast essentials ranging from the standard breads to yogurt and fruit. I happened to take my 8 year old son on this trip and the dining room staff spoiled him, sending him off with a little bag of his favorite pastries. He also loved being able to walk from the room to the beach in his bare feet.

To top it off, I got a free upgrade to the ocean front room via Trip Advisor so for the price of an advance reservation I got a room that far exceeded it's price.

I will definitely stay here every time I'm in Carlsbad!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I escaped the hot desert to this wonderful ocean front room at the Beach Terrace Inn. The room was huge and the bed so comfortable that I actually slept through the night all 3 nights without waking up. I like it cold when I sleep so the air conditioning in the room was a big plus for me. The balcony was so comfortable with fluffy cushion chairs, perfect for resting and watching the waves or reading. When the day came to check out I did not want to leave and every guest that I talked to loved it there so much also did not want to leave. The continental breakfast was great and there were a lot of great restaurants within walking distance. The staff was very helpful and friendly, giving directions to places and recommending where to jog/walk. I already booked another 3 days in the near future. Also the Coaster train goes through Carlsbad so next time I will take it to San Diego for a day trip.

Room Tip: I had a ocean front room on the south end so I over looked the ocean and on the south side I overlo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calibrenda
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 5 days here as part of a wider tour to celebrate my Husbands 40th Birthday and our 2nd wedding anniversary. I'm not a fan of American hotels as they seem to get the décor and bathrooms wrong, but this place was a little gem. Good value for money, great service, loved the breakfast room/choice, right on the beach, and huge lovely suite rooms with a modern stylish bathroom! (just how the brits like it!) We also stayed at The London in Hollywood and although entirely different types of hotels, we actually thought the stunning beach views were much better! Plenty of choice of local restaurants a short stroll from the hotel, and a fairly easy car journey into San Diego for all the normal tourist hot spots. I will hopefully be coming back here in the future!

Room Tip: Choose the refurbished rooms with an Ocean view, the higher the better (although I liked being able...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrsdavies24
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room is the best part, occupying the full width of the building - you enter from the external, motel style door at the street side and have a view all the way through to the beach side with balcony. We entertained 8 in our room and it was fine space-wise. Carpet is very dark and out of date. Front desk staff is helpful - put our large items that didn't fit in the room's dorm-size fridge into the housekeeping freezer. They also seem to work 12 hour shifts (same person helping us at 9pm is there at 8am - maybe because of holiday week?). Parking is convenient and included. The rooms could easily support sofa sleepers. They were out of roll-away beds, so we pushed together 2 of the bedroom benches with the arm chair and added sheets and blankets to fashion a bed for my child that was actually fairly comfortable.

Worst part: Wifi - they couldn't get it working all week for any of my 5 devices. Desk staff knowledge varies from incompetent to somewhat knowledgeable. They handed me off to their 'new external service' which spent an hour escalating through their support levels all accusing me of something wrong with my device (which worked on wifi networks anywhere else I went all week). I asked the front desk for a billing credit the night before checkout. At checkout, I was told the owner decided not to grant a credit since it wasn't his fault the wifi didn't work. Huh?

Breakfast is meh. Croissant are dried out and flavorless? Bagels are supermarket bought - light and bready and nothing like a bagel. Oatmeal is instant mix. The fruit is fresh - yeah. I arrived at 6:57am and followed an employee into the breakfast area. The server said a bit rudely, "we dont open till 7am". I stood outside for 3 minutes and re-entered. I asked, is it ok now? Her response, "I haven't finished setting up." but at least she turned on the lights and unlocked the other doors. Could practice a little with things like 'good morning', 'welcome', 'be right with you'.

Pool closes at 9pm due to some guest room proximity. In the summer, it's nearly still daylight at that time. Given our busy daytime schedule, we got to use it for 10 minutes one night before the staff came down and nicely asked us to leave, in order to keep it quiet for those in the nearby rooms. No fitness center in this day and age?

Their high room cost is all to be on the beach. We were out and about during the days and did not hang out at the property. For less money in this area, one can get more beds, a divided suite, wifi, same or better breakfast, & fitness center. I'll look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Room 45 on 2nd floor has 70% ocean view (roof line of the lower building obstructs view of the sand...
2  Thank CallmeMay B
Kent Z, General Manager at Beach Terrace Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to make comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the service deficiencies you mentioned. Our team strives to make every stay as close to perfect as possible.
As a result of your review, we have contacted the internet service provider to determine the cause of the interruption you describe. We know how important internet is and truly regret you experienced such problems.
While our guests speak highly of the continental breakfast, your comments with regard to the quality of the bagels and croissants will be forwarded on to the pastry chef of our San Diego based French Bakery. The hotel receives a shipment every morning to display only freshly baked goods and breads. We will definitely keep a culinary watch on the quality to be certain we make great quality impressions in the future.
We appreciate the positive accolades about our friendly front office staff and quality of the room. It is our hope you had a great time in Carlsbad. We would love to gain your loyalty and confidence in the future should you desire.
Our hotel manager would be pleased to speak with you at anytime.

Best Regards,