“Great Getaway with Spectacular View of Ocean”
Review of Beach Terrace Inn

Beach Terrace Inn
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I escaped the hot desert to this wonderful ocean front room at the Beach Terrace Inn. The room was huge and the bed so comfortable that I actually slept through the night all 3 nights without waking up. I like it cold when I sleep so the air conditioning in the room was a big plus for me. The balcony was so comfortable with fluffy cushion chairs, perfect for resting and watching the waves or reading. When the day came to check out I did not want to leave and every guest that I talked to loved it there so much also did not want to leave. The continental breakfast was great and there were a lot of great restaurants within walking distance. The staff was very helpful and friendly, giving directions to places and recommending where to jog/walk. I already booked another 3 days in the near future. Also the Coaster train goes through Carlsbad so next time I will take it to San Diego for a day trip.

Room Tip: I had a ocean front room on the south end so I over looked the ocean and on the south side I overlo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calibrenda
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 5 days here as part of a wider tour to celebrate my Husbands 40th Birthday and our 2nd wedding anniversary. I'm not a fan of American hotels as they seem to get the décor and bathrooms wrong, but this place was a little gem. Good value for money, great service, loved the breakfast room/choice, right on the beach, and huge lovely suite rooms with a modern stylish bathroom! (just how the brits like it!) We also stayed at The London in Hollywood and although entirely different types of hotels, we actually thought the stunning beach views were much better! Plenty of choice of local restaurants a short stroll from the hotel, and a fairly easy car journey into San Diego for all the normal tourist hot spots. I will hopefully be coming back here in the future!

Room Tip: Choose the refurbished rooms with an Ocean view, the higher the better (although I liked being able...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrsdavies24
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room is the best part, occupying the full width of the building - you enter from the external, motel style door at the street side and have a view all the way through to the beach side with balcony. We entertained 8 in our room and it was fine space-wise. Carpet is very dark and out of date. Front desk staff is helpful - put our large items that didn't fit in the room's dorm-size fridge into the housekeeping freezer. They also seem to work 12 hour shifts (same person helping us at 9pm is there at 8am - maybe because of holiday week?). Parking is convenient and included. The rooms could easily support sofa sleepers. They were out of roll-away beds, so we pushed together 2 of the bedroom benches with the arm chair and added sheets and blankets to fashion a bed for my child that was actually fairly comfortable.

Worst part: Wifi - they couldn't get it working all week for any of my 5 devices. Desk staff knowledge varies from incompetent to somewhat knowledgeable. They handed me off to their 'new external service' which spent an hour escalating through their support levels all accusing me of something wrong with my device (which worked on wifi networks anywhere else I went all week). I asked the front desk for a billing credit the night before checkout. At checkout, I was told the owner decided not to grant a credit since it wasn't his fault the wifi didn't work. Huh?

Breakfast is meh. Croissant are dried out and flavorless? Bagels are supermarket bought - light and bready and nothing like a bagel. Oatmeal is instant mix. The fruit is fresh - yeah. I arrived at 6:57am and followed an employee into the breakfast area. The server said a bit rudely, "we dont open till 7am". I stood outside for 3 minutes and re-entered. I asked, is it ok now? Her response, "I haven't finished setting up." but at least she turned on the lights and unlocked the other doors. Could practice a little with things like 'good morning', 'welcome', 'be right with you'.

Pool closes at 9pm due to some guest room proximity. In the summer, it's nearly still daylight at that time. Given our busy daytime schedule, we got to use it for 10 minutes one night before the staff came down and nicely asked us to leave, in order to keep it quiet for those in the nearby rooms. No fitness center in this day and age?

Their high room cost is all to be on the beach. We were out and about during the days and did not hang out at the property. For less money in this area, one can get more beds, a divided suite, wifi, same or better breakfast, & fitness center. I'll look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Room 45 on 2nd floor has 70% ocean view (roof line of the lower building obstructs view of the sand...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CallmeMay B
Kent Z, General Manager at Beach Terrace Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to make comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the service deficiencies you mentioned. Our team strives to make every stay as close to perfect as possible.
As a result of your review, we have contacted the internet service provider to determine the cause of the interruption you describe. We know how important internet is and truly regret you experienced such problems.
While our guests speak highly of the continental breakfast, your comments with regard to the quality of the bagels and croissants will be forwarded on to the pastry chef of our San Diego based French Bakery. The hotel receives a shipment every morning to display only freshly baked goods and breads. We will definitely keep a culinary watch on the quality to be certain we make great quality impressions in the future.
We appreciate the positive accolades about our friendly front office staff and quality of the room. It is our hope you had a great time in Carlsbad. We would love to gain your loyalty and confidence in the future should you desire.
Our hotel manager would be pleased to speak with you at anytime.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I just returned from 5 days at the Beach Terrace Inn. There were six of us in 5 different rooms-all spacious rooms faced the ocean. We were so impressed with how clean the place was and how incredibly friendly all members of the staff were. They were so helpful, genuine, professional, and efficient. The sundeck is perfect for gathering and ordering meals in, if desired. And everything in the village is in walking distance from the hotel. Can't wait to return!
Eileen from Colorado

Room Tip: The rooms right below the sundeck can be noisy in the early morning when staff is setting up furnitu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I recently took a second honeymoon to San Diego, for our 10th anniversary. This was the very first time I would be seeing the ocean. I wanted to find a hotel right on the beach where I could not only look out at nothing but blue water, but also listen to the waves all night long. The Beach Terrace Inn was that place. When we arrived we found a nice bottle of wine in our room with a hand written note. I had requested a beach front room but also near the pool, and the did just that!

The staff was simply wonderful and we really enjoyed the easiness of the Inn. The were so helpful with bringing beach chairs for us to use, and they had everything that we could need available for us. We loved the fresh pastries every morning, and enjoyed the breakfast room overlooking the ocean. The coffee was amazing!

We had [planned to do many other events on our trip, but when we checked in and saw our big beautiful room and pillow menu, not to mention the shower for two and fluffy bath robes, I took a photo of the view from our balcony and posted that "this is what we will be doing today!"

We agreed that there couldn't be a better place to stay. Do not think twice about booking your room.

Room Tip: the ocean front room is well worth the upgrade in price!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was our second stay at Beach Terrace Inn and since it was an anniversary, we upgraded to a beach front room. WOW... when we arrived, Kent had given us the best room in the house! Top floor, private and quiet, right on the beach. There was a bottle of wine and hand written note of congratulations waiting for us. The room was large, very clean, modern, and well appointed. The entire staff is very accommodating and professional. A complimentary and well stocked breakfast is included and they even provide complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas. We will definitely be back. Thank you Kent and staff for a wonderful anniversary stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desert_skier_7
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a wonderful 3 night stay here on a recent family trip to LEGOLAND and Disneyland. Our room was very large and accommodated our 4 person family wonderfully. The bathroom was also very up to date. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the service provided was great. The only issue we had with this hotel was the lack of amenities such as a restaurant (continental breakfast was good, but it would have been better for us had their been lunch dinner or room service at least available on site). We loved being right on the beach. I highly recommend getting a room with FULL view of the beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family