“nightmare at check in”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“nightmare at check in”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was a repeat stay for me (Tuesday to Thursday). I always request a room away from noisy areas like elevator areas. I was given keys to a room on the 1st floor, and upon entering the room I discovered that it was in the process being made/refreshed (the bed was not made, and all the drawers to the dresser and kitchen areas were opened). I called the front desk from that room and informed them that my room was not made. They asked for me to return to the front desk and they would find another room for me. I collected all my luggage and walked back to the lobby.

I was then given keys to a room on the 2nd floor, walked to door, and inserted the keys they both registered up as red - no go. So for a 2ND TIME I WENT BACK DOWN TO THE LOBBY TO GET THEIR MESS CORRECTED.

A couple things that get me is: How hard is it to confirm the status of a room on their end, and second - is it really that difficult to burn two functioning rooms keys? Sounds like a bunch of incompetent front desk agents working there.

I'm going to reconsider staying here next time.

Room Tip: pack light - you'll be walking back and forth a lot if your room/keys have issues.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank onebadgolfer
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear onebadgolfer,

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. As a repeat guest, your experience with us is critical, and I truly regret you had such a poor experience at check-in. This is not typical of our hotel and staff. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay.

Your business is truly valued by us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Homewood Suites Carlsbad. Please contact me directly and I will personally ensure you receive a room that meets your expectations. My direct number is (760) 494-5442 or email CarlsbadGM@ih-corp.com.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Kim Shattuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We love hotels with a separate living room and breakfast. The Carlsbad Homewood Suites was great for our long weekend. Many thanks to Maryrose and Brittany who helped me make the last minute reservation for 4 rooms for our family.

The breakfast was great each day. Unfortunately, it was VERY busy on the weekend and more staff would be helpful in keeping everything fresh and cleaning off tables.

Our room was not refreshed for 2 of the 4 days we were there. Again, the hotel was very busy but we did leave each day early enough that we would expect to have maid service.

We were there for the dinner only one night and it was great...more than enough to satisfy!

Overall, we continue to love Homewood Suites!

Room Tip: Our room was on the outside so we could hear the airplanes from the airport across the street but th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear MommaB6119,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Carlsbad, CA! I agree that having a separate bedroom is wonderful, especially when traveling with a family! I'm very pleased to hear you received excellent service from Maryrose and Brittany and they were able to book four rooms for you at the last minute. I'll be sure to thank them and let them know how appreciative you are! Our daily complimentary breakfast definitely does tend to get a little on the crowded side, particularly on the weekends. I appreciate your suggestion for having more staff on hand to ensure freshness and to assist with cleanup, as we are always looking for ways to improve our guests’ experience with us. I'm very surprised to hear that you didn't receive housekeeping service each day of your stay. It is certainly not typical for rooms to not receive housekeeping service. I apologize for the inconvenience but appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I am pleased to hear you continue to love Homewood Suites and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in Carlsbad!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here last month and loved it. I almost always have to get 1-bedroom suites anywhere I travel so my two boys can take naps during the day. Clean bedroom and kitchen was very functional. Pretty close to Carlsbad and the Outlets so it was very convenient. The pool was right outside the window but we didn't go inside. The complimentary breakfast was very crowded, but there are more than enough tables to accommodate families.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Go H,

Thank you for your review! Our two-room suites are perfect for families traveling with small children! We make every effort to ensure that the Homewood Suites in Carlsbad feels more like a home away from home, rather than just another typical hotel stay. I am so pleased to hear that we are on the right track! We are glad to hear you found our location to be convenient and hope to have you stay with us again the next time you visit Carlsbad! Thank you again for taking the time to share your positive experience with us on TripAdvisor!

Tacoma,WA
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was the second leg of our California trip and coming off a bad hotel stay in Anaheim we were happy to arrive here after reading the great reviews which were well deserved. I booked directly through Hilton since I am member and took advantage of their AAA rate.

Front desk was very friendly and helpful. We attended the weeknight night social hours(s) (5-7pm) which included dinner, salad, beer, and wine. What a great deal. And all this on top of a great breakfast that was included each morning.

The room was very clean and comfortable and had all the amenities of home. We had a king suite with separate living area that had a pull out sleeper sofa which worked great for our 3 year old. . Room was very quiet and you wouldn't even know there was a small airport across the streetThe kitchen was great as well. Hotel was very quiet and worked out well for us. Hotel is very close to LEGOLAND and close to many restaurants and shopping. We took advantage of the pool and the coin operated washer/dryer to clean some clothes during our trip.

Overall, a great hotel and I have no complaints what so ever. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. I will not only recommend this hotel but will look for Homewood suites on any future stays

Room Tip: as Hilton member you can pick a room ahead of time. The whole hotel seemed very quiet but we went ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear tacomarick,

Thank you for your kind words! We are so happy to hear that we were able to impress you! As a team, we strive to provide each and every one of our guests with the best possible service. Additionally, we make it a priority to keep our hotel in excellent shape. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and our rooms made you feel right at home! We look forward to welcoming you back if you are in the Carlsbad area again, or at another Homewood Suites location!

Kalamazoo, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel was very clean and good quality. Thestaff was very friendly and very helpful. Free breakfast had a lot of variety and wasn't just your basic pastry and coffee. The hotel was close to everything we needed,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Dear Susan R,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! We truly appreciate your feedback and your positive comments! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites Carlsbad the next time you are in town!

Santa Maria, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our family stayed here for a nearby wedding. Nice hotel that is not huge but the suites are very nice for a family. Great breakfast too. It is nice to have coffee or tea into the late evening. I did not have dinner this time but have stayed here before and enjoyed the free dinners that were provided.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Dear Russell L,

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again while attending such a special occasion! I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed our daily, complimentary breakfast! Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience with us on TripAdvisor! Your review and repeat business are greatly appreciated! Congratulations to the newlyweds!

Laguna Niguel, CA.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visited some friends in Carlsbad and stayed for the first time at the Hilton Homewood Suites.
This looks like a very new Hotel. They provide a cooked breakfast and surprize, a cooked dinner with wine or beer on Mondays thru Thursday. The room was comfortable and fairly large. It is across the road from Palomar Airport but we heard NO planes during our visit. We did not have the dinner but the breakfast was fairly good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John8433
Dear John8433,

Thank you very much for choosing the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Carlsbad, CA! I am so happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us and were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast! If you visit us again, I hope you have the opportunity to indulge in our complimentary dinner, and the beer and wine! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor & look forward to seeing you again soon!