Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Huntington Beach, California
“Wedding Base”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had six rooms reserved to use as "home base" for our son's wedding weekend and it worked out perfect!
The staff from reservation time to checkout could not have been more helpful or accommodating and helped me to get the best rate for all rooms as we kept adding on. They always had a smile and greeted us each time we came in the front door.
The rooms are clean, well stocked and roomy...perfect for our purpose. The breakfast was nice and easy (it was crowded but still very doable!)
Just a great stay....I will seek out this brand for all our travels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here last month: August 19- 24. I came with family so I will assume that many readers of this review are the same: so it is geared for families!

We came here for Legoland and Sea World. Place is fine. Staff is fine. Commute to Sea World is tolerable! a little more than 1/2 hour at 10 am Drive to San Diego proper on a Wednesday going southbound on I 5!

Legoland is 5 minutes away, maybe 7 from Hotel: go back towards freeway I 5 on Palomar Airport Rd and on the intersection where the Costco is: turn right instead of left (left takes you to Costco!!) and follow the signs: it will be on the right side.

Hotel is Easy to find: on the corner right behind the Chase Bank Branch: guess where I got my cash!! You will see Chase's sign before you see Homewood's from Palomar Airport Rd! Also, it is right next to sister hotel: Hampton Inn. Across the street from entrance to Airport. It is about a mile and change (maybe 2) from the I 5 freeway (roughly 10 signal lights)! Palomar Airport Rd actually has a 50 MPH speed limit, I felt like an old man driving there! I didn't hear much noise from airport: you'd think you would, but I didn't!

Rooms are a good size. Beds comfortable. (I saw stacks of old beds next to parking lot the day I got here: I guess they were changing them out! they were gone the next day!) Also saw a roll of carpet in the hallway- must be changing them out too!) Room feels Modern: feels new! No complaints regarding hot water, plumbing etc. (although I did see a staff member knock on a door of a neighboring room with a plunger in hand!!)

Speaking of remodeling/updating: got a note under door: a few days into stay: they needed to move us to the conference room for breakfast later in the week: (instead of usual breakfast area), I think they were indeed changing the carpet: so if you visit soon: the dining area likely has new carpet!

The rooms: Got two flat screen TVs: one in bedroom, another in living room/kitchen area 32-35" range! it has enough channels for me: alas: no Disney Channel but yes to Nick and Cartoon Network! door between rooms helps so that I can stay up to watch TV without disturbing kids!

The rooms and the grounds are clean. used the gym one time: TVs on the treadmills/bicycles itself: but no volume and the screen flickers when you are jogging, etc! Separate TV to the side! rarely busy!

Pool looks as nice as the photos from Website: I didn't use (got plenty wet at Legoland already!): felt the water in pool: warm, gated off from Dining area: (breakfast/dinner); hot tub there too!

Internet is slower than I'd like, but I may be expecting too much. But it works otherwise. We used it mainly for You Tube to keep the kids happy! It does that fine: just need to be patient with the loading!

Also: hated to sign in to get internet every day I am there: Need to put in room # and last name and check off the internet policy box each day! it is o.k. initially, but I brought an IPAD, IPOD (GOT KIDS!!) and a lap top: and I stayed for 5 days: so it got old fast! Must be a Hilton thing: I guess they are worried that folks are using their WIFI when they are not guests!! (seriously: is that really a problem??)

about electronics: bring extension cord: you are limited as to where you could charge all of your "toys" by where there is an outlet: so a cheap $3 cord helps a lot!

About the rooms:

Quiet: I was right next to elevator: but didn't hear much of anything: the heavy "Blast" doors help: although very hard to push open and keep open to get stuff in and out- stroller/groceries (Can't have cake and eat it too!!) a door jam would've been nice! I was at 3rd floor: so I didn't hear any neighbors above me: hope the folks below me felt the same!

if you are like me: and will be sick of eating burgers, etc. you'd actually want to use the kitchen: the other reviewers are right: no oven: but it does have a dishwasher! Here is what you need to bring:

A sponge: if you are like me and don't use dishwasher much and 4 sets of everything just isn't enough! (dishwashing soap provided-both for machine and hand wash)

rubbermaid or other storage ware: or plastic wrap: if you cook and have leftovers you'd want to keep! Fridge is good size (room not a problem) a real one- not the college dorm stuff!

Cooking oil: for stir frying? plus whatever you are going to season food with! Stove has two burners, plan ahead! My kids love plain pasta: so I was glad I brought salt! They had those little salt/pepper packets at the breakfast area: but I needed a lot!

I recommend that you buy food after you get here instead of carrying all that much food from home: Trader Joe's is less than 5 minutes away and as I said earlier: Costco is nearby also. (although I don't think you're gonna finish everything you are gonna buy from Costco!!- Got Gas there though!!)

Don't like: the coffee tables in the suites: glass and SQUARE: pointed corners: I brought my "excessively energetic" 3 year old son and my 7 year old daughter. I could see that those were accidents waiting to happen, so I moved them all to the corner: my kids were playing "castle/house with the suite's pillows, etc!

Go Figure: as soon as we left here and headed North to San Luis Obisbo- at the NEXT Hotel we stayed in: in less than 2 minutes after getting into that room: my son trips on a shoe and hits his head on the sharp glass corner of a coffee table: bleeding and all! Luckily he is fine! Hotels take note: round the corners (better yet: wood tables!)or expect some accidents!

Food: breakfast: is typical and of decent quality: I'd supplement with the kitchen of yours if you want a "Whole Foods" type of breakfast though! Coffee was good though! Note: if your kids are as picky as mine: you may want to bring food from home (depending on where you are traveling from)! Food staff nice: they were out of cinnamon rolls one morning (did I mention my kids were picky eaters!) asked for more: staff went out of her way to bring me 4 rolls!

They offer Mon- Thur dinner: I peeked once at the food: looked about the same as breakfast; only less selection; not great: but likely to fill the gut: heard about free beer: haven't tried though. To be fair: most nights we were here: we stayed either in Legoland or Sea World until it was too late to take advantage of the 5 to 7 pm window for free dinner! Weekly menu taped on our fridge!

The vast majority of the folks we saw were here for vacation, but there are some people we saw during breakfast (say 10 - 20%) who were clearly here for business!

If kids want to go to San Diego attractions again, we will likely stay here again!

3 Thank Peter L
Solana Beach, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Absolutely loved my stay at this hotel. Waking up to a nice breakfast prepared by their staff was awesome. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was quiet in my room so I was able to relax when I needed to. The internet access was certainly a plus as it was nice to be able to get some work done when I needed to. I'll definitely be staying at this hotel again, and I'll be looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here in 2 rooms as a family. The amenties were a plus, the great breakfast and pool, laundry services and close to legoland were great. The staff at the front were polite and the rooms were nice to have separated living spaces and a usuable kitchen. But in our week long stay, one room was cleaned regularly and one was not. We had to regularly call the front desk for cleaning services, like taking out our garbage and new face cloths. Its not like we are princesses or anything but we had a baby in the room and dirty diapers leave a not so nice smell after a day in an open garbage. Our room was the first on the hall and the next door room was the one cleaned instead, weird. We wouldnt get back till like 7pm too so the cleaning staff had already left, it was frustrating. The kids liked the breakfast but it was the same each day almost with only one ariation and lacking in fresh fruit which was hard for the vegetarians. We ended up buying things a couple if mornings and eating in our rooms. To top it all off we arrived home and they overcharged us for the room and charged the wrong card for the room. (we checked in with a different card and switched it over during our stay) doubly frustrating! We stayed here after reading trip advisors reviews and wouldnt want this to happen to anyone else. Im sure its all going to be fixed but to deal with it on vacation wasnt fun :(

• Stayed August 2012
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel hit high marks across the board. It is a great place to stay. Quiet hotel and convenient location with very clean and comfortable rooms. I would highly recommend and stay here again for both vacation and business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here last weekend and this hotel was fantastic. The rooms were beautiful, very clean and well put together. The hotel grounds was well kept and the lobby was wonderful. The front desk agents were very nice, very hospitable, and very willing to answer any and all questions. We used the shuttle only once, but it worked out perfectly. I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE I know going into the carlsbad area. Thank you again for such a wonderful stay!! :)

Room Tip: Anything near 210-220 are probably really nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kayla J
long beach, ca
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed with my 2 boys, 8 and 5. Arrived at hotel at 11am and was able to do an early check in. With in 10 minutes we were on the free shuttle to Legoland. Arrived Back at hotel around 630, with plenty of time for free happy hour dinner. My kids had hot dogs and I had a salad. They were also having a beer tasting, along with free wine and tap beer. Woke up to a wonderful breakfast!! Had a great stay and can't wait for a reason to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HW_General_Manager, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear dvestermark,

Your title describes entirely how we anticipate to run our business "Perfect". We are so glad to hear that our hotel has surpassed your expectations and you were able to see the value in what we provide. Beer tasting is an event that Sales will put on EVERY Thursday night to get our guest involved in with each other and create a social atmosphere. When you are back in Carlsbad again, please make sure you keep us in mind for your preferred hotel choice.

Thanks again!