“AMAZING”
Review of Pelican Cove Inn

Pelican Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Carlsbad B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My sister and I were road tripping from WA thru CA/AZ and back. My daughter flew into Long Beach where we picked her up and we had my sisters granddaughter - age 7. The Pelican Cove Inn was more than we anticipated. We awoke to a cheerful mom - Nancy, who owns the Inn - and had the yummiest and decetant breakfasts that lastest most of the day. We had adjoinging rooms and felt like we were in a warm castle. I have traveled the world and if I found Nancy and her Pelican Cove Inn everyplace I would be the happiest traveler on the planet.

Room Tip: there is a lovely light house room - more of a studio - in the front. Every room is delightful and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2012

What a wonderful and relaxing time we enjoyed at this incredible bed and breakfast! The rooms are clean and wonderfully decorated. Very quiet and tucked away. Each room has a door to the outside with a wrap around veranda. Love the fact we were just two short blocks from the beach. And what a lovely beach it is! Breakfasts were fun to look forward too, each was yummy and very filling! And if that's not enough there are resident dogs who are part of the family. Lucy and Ricky! Home away from home I say! Nancy was always letting us know the events happening around Carlsbad. She told us about a train that went to San Diego. Took just 1 hour to get there. More fun in San Diego!!! Love the location and the friendly atmosphere! Thanks so much for a wonderful time...

Room Tip: only can comment on the rooms above the breakfast area where we stayed. but they all looked great...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Debby V
Reviewed July 21, 2012

It is so refreshing to stay in a place where the guest is appreciated. Even though this is a B & B, each room has it's own private entrance and bath, so it is an 'Inn with a bonus' of attention to detail, great breakfasts, and owners that know you by name and want to make sure your stay is the best it can be. We stayed in two different rooms, both immaculate, with time spent on the little things that make a room special. Chairs or umbrella for the beach? All are available, no extra fees. We recommend this inn 100%. Thanks to the owners, Nancy and Kris, for a great mini vacation!

Room Tip: Look on their website and read the details about each room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Pelican Cove Inn. We stayed in the Laguna room which was charming and well kept, with a cozy, comfortable feather bed. The room is sunny and bright, with a fireplace for cool evenings. The room is right off the veranda where you can sit, relax and enjoy the quiet, or have morning coffee or a drink in the evening. There is onsite parking which is quite convenient.

The location is perfect, only two blocks from the beach and 3 blocks to Carlsbad Village where you will find shops, dining and the Coaster Train. The train goes to San Diego and other stops along the way.

Nancy, the Owner is very warm and welcoming and made us feel truly special. Each morning she prepares a delicious hot breakfast, along with coffee, tea and juice. Her Blueberry Muffins are fantastic!!

Not to be forgotten, Lucy and Ricky the resident pups. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with them each morning and sometimes in the afternoon, too. They love their belly rubz. Thanks Nancy for sharing your sweet dogs with us during our stay!

Joel and Carol
Scottsdale, AZ

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We spent one night at the inn last week and were disappointed in every aspect of our stay. The innkeeper Nancy checked us in our room in 30 seconds flat with a quick canned speech about two restaurants, how to sleep on a feather bed and she was gone after telling us after 7 she would not be available. Never made the slightest attempt to engage with us. The room (Laguna)was adequate but no more than that- she has clearly not spent a night in there ina long while as there is no place to put anything in the bathroom (a little table would be nice, the fan did not work and maybe in the middle of the winter that feather bed would work but in June my husband and I had the worst sleep of our vacation either drenched in sweat, throw off the down coverlet or freezing. Morning we were the only ones there in a tired dining room, scratched table and she breezes in and provides a tried little breakfast, sad store bought croissants, pre cut fruit and a quiche which was bland to say the least. While she does hum (maybe that is considered friendly,) she scooted out the dining room in record time and then returned to have a prolonged conversation with a friend who dropped by so we felt more unwelcome in this crowded stuffy room listening to a conversation were we uncomfortable by-standers. She was quick to ask for the credit card and if we needed directions and that was it. It would have been not pleasant but a passable experience if the place was cleaner, every surface from the steps to the window sills to the outside furniture was covered with old grime, chipping paint, our window blinds had a half inch of dust on them and realizing that daily upkeep does not seem to be on the agenda when I thought about the feather bed and duvet and the accumulation of sweat on there I was grossed out. The place has potential and it is the only B&B in Carlsbad but the building needs a thorough cleaning if not a makeover and the innkeeper needs a vacation.
I realize that this is a minority opinion, perhaps we got her on a bad day but the inn itselfe is still dirty and tired looking.

3  Thank innkeeper2631
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have returned to the Pelican Cove Bed and Breakfast many years in a row. Nancy is such a wonderful host. Her breakfasts are so delectable; I'm not sure if her Scotch Eggs or her Decadent Peach French
Toast is my favorite...as a runner, I am 2 blocks from the beach where Carlsbad By The Sea concrete path along the ocean is an absolute runner's dream. Watch the surfers fall out of their Volkswagen vans early, don their wet suits and say a cheery "Good Morning" as you run on by. The Pelican Cove beds are the best too! And this time, I brought along 18 year old daughter, Cyd, along and she loved it. The deck above our room served for a relaxing afternoon with my sister, who lives in Oceanside, Cyd, and me for enjoying some libations and sunshine. Need I say more? Thanks Nancy and see you next year.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2012

With the personal touch and outstanding customer service that Nancy offers to each and every guest; I’ll bet that most of the guests feel like long time friends or “extended” family from the time that they arrive until the time they leave. Based on the customer comments and rave reviews from past guests, it appears so. I know that my wife and I felt like extended family during our stay.

The Pacific Room couldn’t have been nicer. The room has a comfortable “homey” feel to it. It is very tastefully decorated, well maintained / clean, and the furniture (couch and chair) is comfy. The Jacuzzi tub in the bath is an excellent touch, and the feather bed is very comfortable.

The breakfasts that Nancy serves are home-cooked and delightful. The fruits and breads are the freshest, and the food is delicious.

The flowers, plants and garden / gazebo area bring the whole experience together. The B & B facility and surroundings are beautiful, and it is just a short walk to the beach and Carlsbad Village!

We will most definitely return for a stay, and I will recommend Pelican Cove Inn to friends, family and acquaintances who are looking for a place to stay in Carlsbad. In my experience, Pelican Cove Inn is second to none. Very well done, Nancy!

1  Thank Mark B