“Needs improvement” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Norte

Norte
Ranked #24 of 335 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Illinois
“Needs improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times over the years, and have seen the quality go down and I hate to say, it will be my last visit. Service was slow and the food was just ok (small portions). Chips we not very fresh. The olny positive was teh veyr cold beer!

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
“Great Mexican in Carlsbad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Not many options that I love in Carlsbad Village, but Norte is excellent and very affordable. Also don't feel bad that my kids are noisy because its a lively atmosphere. Recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Food was ok, service not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went with my family while staying at the Legoland Hotel upon the recommendation of the concierge of the hotel. The restaurant was large and had a nice atmosphere. We ate on the patio which had fire pits everywhere which gave it a nice ambiance. My son ordered the chicken soup with rice for an appetizer, which was very tasty and my daughter ordered Carnitas Asada which was also very good. Everything else we had was just average. The portions were large, but if ever in the area again, we would not return. The service was also below par. Our waitress kept saying that they were short staffed that evening, but it appeared as if there were plenty of service people around.

• Visited August 2013
Lubbock, TX
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped at Norte after spending a few hours at Carlsbad State Beach. We are sure glad we did. It was a Sunday night at 5:30 but it was very crowded. However, since the restaurant is so big, the wait went quick. The hostess told us it would be 35-45 minutes, but we only waited 20 minutes. The house salsa has a little kick to it and the Rita Loca was outstanding. I would highly recommend the queso fundido (the homemade tortillas were out of is world). My wife and I both thought the beans were some of the best we have ever had, and the carne asada was spectacular. It was loud in the dining area so no one could hear our 3 year at all! It appeared too, that many locals frequent Norte which is a great sign!

• Visited August 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
“Good food, nice atmosphere. A local favorite.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

When we went here last year we ordered way too much food, so our plan this time was to order some fajitas and share them. But when we looked at the menu, their fajitas had different ingredients than we are used to. As I recall the menu said meat and chilies. We decided not to risk it and ordered separate meals. I ordered a chicken tostado for $5.25, which was just about the right amount of food for me, and my husband ordered a combination plate that had a beef enchilada and a beef burrito for $12.45 - again way too much food for him. The food was good. We have better Mexican restaurants at home, but we would go here again if in the area. There is both street and off street parking at no charge. We went about 6:15 and had quite a long wait. When we got seated we noticed a very large party of about 20 people taking up a large part of the room, so that may have been the reason. Our server wasn't the best, either. We noticed several people who came in after us, place their orders and get their food served before us. But that's always the luck of the draw. The wait was shorter if you didn't mind outdoor seating, but they were having a cold spell and I didn't want to freeze. Plan on going early to avoid the wait.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Norte? Share your experiences!