“Great Fish Taco”
Review of Norte

Norte
Ranked #24 of 339 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
“Great Fish Taco”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have eaten here several times over the years on business trips to Southern California. Latest was a family vacation over Christmas, and after a long day at LegoLand with my children and grandchildren. As with previous visits, the place was packed, and as we had a total of 8 in our party, we did have to wait for a table. The bar too was crowded, but we were able to snag a couple of stools and partake in a much needed cerveza. Took a large table inside, but there's plenty of tables on the patio with heaters and firepits nearby (we had had enough "outside" at LegoLand). I'm no expert on Mexican cusine, but I would say the menu was a pretty complete representation of Mexico's best eats. Prices were very reasonable, and my favorite--fish tacos--were excellent. In fact, everyone, including my 2 grandaughters, who are pretty picky eaters, were really pleased with the food. Before and during the meal, including the brief stay at the bar, we were continuously supplied with fresh chips and salsa, and luckily our food appeared pretty quick or we'd of had a hard time eating any more. The place is conveniently located in the heart of the Carlsbad tourist area--though locals dominated the clientele--and we were lucky enough to get a parking spot right in front of the restaurant (there appeared to be more parking available down the street). My family and I will be back.

• Korean first
“Yummy food and margaritas!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

All of our dinners were so good! Adults and kids enjoyed their drinks and meals. Super friendly service, too!

Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT margarita!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great atmosphere, FANTASTIC location. Service has always been wonderful and food has always been great. There are better mexican cantinas locally in terms of food and price, but they are hole in the wall spots, not something with the outdoor seating with fire pits and GREAT bar area. A block from the beach it is a great spot to get a drink and some food then walk down the boardwalk to work off the meal and beverages. A must try!

Stockton, CA
“The Best Albondigas Soup”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have a lot of food allergies and sometimes Mexican doesn't work for me, so when I find something that does, I stick with it. About 3 1/2 years ago we were looking to buy a second home in the Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista area and stayed a week at the adjoning Carlsbad Inn. Norte's, being next door was a great place to eat and we even signed papers for a home (which didn't work out) after lunch there one day. But a few months later we did find one. We spend about half our time in Vista (we also live in Northern California) and always come to Norte's for the Albondigas soup. The small bowl is really good size and for me a meal in itself. Every table is served chips and salsa. My only complaint it that the chips are not warmed. You have a choice of corn or floor tortillas and the soup is full of celery, carrots, rice, and meatballs in a rich broth. So, for about $11 for two of us we've had a meal ($14 with tip). We have ordered other items and in this very popular restaurant every dish looks delicious but a little pricey. One can eat inside or out even in winter as they have heaters on the patio. They have a full bar (the Cantina) and desserts range from flan to mousse cheescake and more. When it comes to service, they are always on top of it, even when it gets crowded. Close to the ocean, only a few table have an ocean view, but ample parking in the underground garage, for this local tradition of more than 30 years.

Santa Barbara, California
“Mediocre”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Perhaps it was on "off" day...or perhaps just our waiter, who seemed indifferent...but, we had a mediocre meal there today.....and that was most unusual. Have eaten there numerous times, usually with great enjoyment. Today, the food was "ho-hum", the service indifferent, our requests were greeted with disdain...( for clean silverware, or a regular sized glass- ) It was as if whatever (normal things) we requested were just too much effort....everyone is entitled to an "off" day...but, don't make it when I am trying to dine in a normally reliable, good establishment. And...it wasn't even very crowded...I would hate to think what might have happened then :-(

• Visited January 2013

Been to Norte? Share your experiences!