“dinner with best friends”

West Steak and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
West Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 366 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cannon/Avenida Encinias
Description: West Steak & Seafood is an intimate and distinctive fine dining restaurant located in the coastal community of Carlsbad, CA. Our creative culinary team is renowned for offering the highest quality of prime steaks, chops and seafood prepared to your taste. Dedicated to an authentic farm-to-table ethos, Executive Chef David Abella harvests fresh ingredients daily from the restaurant's own farm, The West Farm. Toast the sealing of a deal or simply celebrate when only the finest quality and service will do.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Four of us met for conversation and good food splitting the distance between our homes. This is just off the Hwy 5 in Carlsbad off the Cannon exit. Looks like an odd location next to a gas station and a hotel and a power plant, however, it is really nice with great steaks. My friend and I had the bone in ribeye dry aged for 21 days. It included 2 sides we both had creamed corn and vegetables. The steak was excellent as were the sides. I had bacon chips on my corn. Love my bacon. My wife had a lobster salad special and she said it was also great. Be warned this is not a cheap meal. Our steaks with the sides were $56 each and these were not the most expensive steaks. They also have seafood that sounded great but maybe next time. It was busy and a little noisy but not too bad. Our server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Service slowed towards the end but we were there 4 hours having a great time. A definite return for great food. Try to get a booth they seem quieter.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Heard about the restaurant for a while and finally decided to give it a try. Even with Valentines crowds they really showed their stuff! From the valet, to the waitstaff, all were gracious, professional, and polite.
Great steak, lobster, and swordfish! Each was prepared exactly as promised. Each was flavorful and satisfying.
Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
We'll be back anytime we're in the area.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'm a wine and steak guy, and I have had my most incredible meal here, now more than once. I've fully enjoyed my dining experience at West four times in the last three months and have been able to try several different cuts of their aged and dry-aged beef, once we ordered a variety side-by-side, as well as their wagyu...all most incredible because the grade of beef they serve can't be found elsewhere...at least I haven't seen it served anywhere else. Of course, since we typically order "for the table", we have also tried a variety of their seafood...the first time we went, we also were informed that they had just received fresh black truffle from Italy; what a treat.

It's like they say...great wine starts in the vineyard - because without great grapes, even the most skilled winemaker can't make great wine. The same is true for cuisine, a great chef's best friend is his farmer/butcher/fisherman/etc. The chef's at West have figured it out...now not by just having their own garden, but by starting their own farm...it's going to be fun to see how the seasonal, grown-to-order produce changes by season and how it will be prepared.

Oh yeah, the sommelier also provided us with some great wine pairings...it's always fun to go beyond what you know, and we can vouch for this somm's attentiveness to our style and ability to find something new that pleases us.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

On our latest 10 day road trip in the US, around southern california, this was the stand out meal. Of all the tour, we did not figure Carlsbad would deliver the gourmet highlight. What a surprise.

The service was excellent, and the prices reasonable for the quality of food provided.

Portions were good

My wife and I both had crab cakes to start with which were so unusually presented, yet so tasty.

I started with scallops with pork belly and shrimps, and it was a dish just to die for...so innovative, it will stick long in my memory.

My wife next had lobster ravioli, which she just loved, but why you have to ask for a spoon for a dish with such obviously tasty sauce, none of which you would want to leave, surprised us, but was easily remedied.

Wine choice was excellent, and reasonably priced.

I would eat there again without hesitation, and would recommend it to you, even if you have to drive there to do it.

1  Thank Cwyfan
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I often visit West for their amazing happy hour, but we had not been there for dinner in a long time. We recently visited to have dinner with a small group of my husband's associates from work. It was such a delightful experience, and every single person at our table commented on their delicious meal, the ambience, and the exceptional service.
Tiffanie Marra was our waitress, and she did an AMAZING job. Everyone in our group said that she was the best waitress they'd ever had. If you visit West, and you want to be treated like royalty, request a table in Tiffanie's section!
The food was absolute perfection! I ordered the beet salad to start and the scallop appetizer as my main dish. Both dishes were so well prepared, and I had plenty of food. My husband ordered a steak, and he probably would have licked his plate, if he thought no one would notice. Two members of our party ordered lobster (each prepared a different way), and another person ordered crab cakes. Everyone kept exclaiming that their food was so delicious. We also shared an order of truffle fries, and those little gems should not be missed!
Some people ordered a martini. Another had a margarita, and the table shared an excellent bottle of wine (the wine list at West is quite extensive). Every person was pleased with the preparation of their libation, and the wine was truly exquisite.
The members of our group that evening "wine and dine" a lot. Each person expressed that their dinner at West was one of their all-time favorite dining experiences. What more can I say?

1  Thank KMacleay

Been to West Steak and Seafood? Share your experiences!