“Very Nice And Memorable Stay”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“Very Nice And Memorable Stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The West Inn appears to be high-end townhomes converted into a hotel, and that is a big plus. The property is nice and clearly well-maintained, plus the staff very helpful in pointing out the amenities. After a long day at Legoland (sadly, we couldn't take advantage of the West Inn's free shuttle), we checked into the king suite on the first floor easily.

The double king suite was very large--in fact, it stated that it was 585 square feet, but I used to live in an apartment that was 600 square feet, and this suite appeared much larger. I wasn't expecting a small living room area with an HDTV, couch, refrigerator, sink and microwave, but that was a nice touch. There are also game controls on both tv's, so I am assuming games can be played. An input adapter for video cameras is also attached, which might be nice to view camcorder videos instantly.

The pool and spa are great, and sat right outside our windows. We spent several hours just relaxing, and the pool has plenty of life vests, noodles, toys and other accessories to keep kids entertained, plus it has a water dispenser with lemons in it. Very nice touch.

Milk and cookies at 8 p.m. was a nice touch, and the free morning breakfast rivals what you would expect at a Marriott. Much more than the usual continental breakfast of buns and juice.

FYI, I did not hear any trains at night, which I believe was a concern of some guests. Overall, very nice stay at the West Inn, and will definitely return if we stay in Carlsbad again. Dinner next door at the West Bistro(?) was also nice and actually reasonably-priced for a hotel's restaurant.

2 Thank LeeTrotman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family of four booked a room with two king beds. The room was next to the elevators and ice machine. Surprisingly we did not hear either during our stay. The great thing about this hotel is that they offer a shuttle to the Premium Outlets and LEGOLAND. Self parking is very convenient. My two children enjoyed the breakfast, cookies and DVD's. The breakfast is nothing to write home about but it is nice way to start off the day.

1 Thank ChrisW865
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I and our two young children stayed at West Inn two weeks ago for 10 nights. We had a great experience there. I had researched many different hotels in the area and decided on West Inn due to the location (between LA and San Diego), high ratings, and value. Free breakfast and parking was also a definite plus.

My two concerns with the hotel were where it was situated - between the freeway and the Coaster (train) - and the fact that it allowed pets. I know the former is mentioned in reviews here on Trip Advisor a lot, but I found that if you just call ahead and request a quiet room it's really not a problem at all. We were in a double King suite (Room 109) on the first floor and we did not hear the traffic on the highway or the train at all. The rooms have been soundproofed very well, and we could hardly hear anything coming from the rooms next to us or above us either. I imagine if you are in a room facing the Coaster or the freeway that you might hear some noise though, so I would just request a quiet room if that is a concern. As for the pets, when I called to make our reservation I explained that our youngest son was allergic to animal dander and asked if we could be placed in a pet-free room. I don't think they have pet-free rooms, but they assured me that the room would be thoroughly cleaned and to assist with my son's allergies they would have hypoallergenic linens on the bed. It all worked out just fine. We were there for 10 days and my son didn't have any flare ups at all.

Overall we really loved the location of this hotel. We used it as a jumping off point to visit Disney in Anaheim for three days and SeaWorld and several other attractions in San Diego. The fact that is is near the freeway made it ideal for us for this very reason. To avoid peak traffic, we left for Disney after 8:30 am during the week and it only took us one hour to get there. San Diego was about a half hour away. It is close to the beach (though you can't walk there) and the premium shopping outlets too. Yes, it is next to a power plant but that was really not a big deal to us. It's not like this is a beach-front hotel with a power plant blocking your view of the ocean. The power plant is behind the hotel. We didn't choose the hotel for it's views but for it's location and value. On those it definitely delivers.

We loved the free breakfast and cookies and milk at night. There were a variety of hot and cold items for breakfast, as well as fresh fruit, so even my children who are picky eaters found things they could eat. The front desk and housekeeping were great as well. The hotel is beautifully decorated and kept very clean. The pool is nice and pretty warm even on cool days and my children loved it. The hot tub is great too.

My only complaints were the WiFi, low shower pressure, and pillows. If you need to access the Internet, the WiFi in the room does not really work so you will need to use the business office on the second floor (I think it's open 24 hours). Also, because the rooms are sound-proofed so well, cellular service does not work unless you are close to the windows. The shower pressure is poor, but I've found this to be a problem at most hotels. After a day at the beach though, it's hard to wash all the sand off of you when the water just barely spits out. It would be nice if there was more pressure and if the showers offered pull-down (rather than fixed) shower heads. The beds were large and comfortable, but we found the pillows lumpy. Those could be improved.

Carlsbad is a great little village and we had fun exploring it and the nearby towns as well. If you drive south along the coast from Carlsbad you'll pass through Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, Del Mar and La Jolla. There are plenty of nice restaurants to eat in these areas and the beaches are all nice, though we found the beach at Torrey Pines in Del Mar to far surpass all the others. Torrey Pines is a must-see. The hike down to the beach is breath-taking and my kids absolutely loved that beach. The beach and The Cove in La Jolla were also a lot of fun. Definitely another nice place to go for a day trip.

We had a wonderful vacation and are glad that we chose West Inn. We would definitely consider staying at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the freeway and Coaster (train). We were in room 109 and didn't h...
1 Thank pvavarou
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked two rooms in July for a trip to Legoland and the Beach. Stayed three nights and was very impressed by the hotel and the attitude of the staff. I had emailed the hotel to advise if was my wife's Birthday while we were in Carlsbad and had Flowers/Wine in the room at no extra charge. Rooms are very comfortable and staff very accomodating of everything we requested. Breakfast was a huge bonus especially when travelling with small children. Would definitely stay here again when in Carlsabad

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boxy31310
Denver
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel was really beautiful. We stayed for four nights in August and overall, we really enjoyed it. The staff was very accommodating. I called ahead because it was going to be my child's birthday while we were there and he had a special dinner request. The staff made special arrangements to make sure that he had what he wanted available to him on our first night there even though it wasn't on the menu in the restaurant. The lobby always smelled really good and really clean. Our room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast had lots of choices for everyone in the family and the selection changed daily. Others have mentioned it, but it was odd that there was no fan in the bathroom. It tended to get really hot and I sent my husband down the hall to the lobby bathroom in the morning since there was no ventilation in our bath. The location is a bit strange. I can see being quite disappointed if I were expecting a San Diego area beach vacation. The hotel is next to the highway and in a very industrial location. It is close to the beach, but you first have to cross through an industrial area. It worked fine for us because it is close to Legoland and very convenient for exploring different beach towns in the area. If you are looking for a resort where you just spend most of your time at the resort, this may not work well for you. Overall, we really liked it and would stay there again if we were in the area.

2 Thank ParticularDenver
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed for 10 days and enjoyed our stay immensely. The kids are still talking about the cookies and milk they put out before bed time. They also had a DVD player in the room and DVDs you could borrow for free at the front desk. They also had beach toys you borrow as well. The rooms were clean and the pool very comfortable. We highly recommend this hotel as you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We live locally and had to leave our house for a few days, but we have a dog. The search was on! We found West and will recommend it to everyone! From the moment we entered the lobby it was so different than most hotels. The staff really cared about us and our little dog...even offering him doggy aromatherapy!
The pool was peaceful and clean. Also, it was nice to have the business center as I work out of my home office and was unable to for these few days. Anything we needed the team of great people at WEST we there with a yes and a smile. The best part: cookies and milk at bedtime!

Room Tip: The beds are a dream!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple