We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for an extended family vacation. Our whole group had 3 different rooms in various locations on the 2nd floor.
The hotel itself is very impressive. Clean, well appointed, nicely kept, looks as if it was built yesterday. The rooms are also well appointed with king size beds, and my wife raved about the sheets. Even on days we requested no service, they left a basket of fresh towels, etc., outside the door. Nice touch.
The breakfast and evening cookies/milk were also well done. The only pointer would be to mix it up a bit. It was the same every day. Same yogurt flavors, same sausages, same eggs, a little variety would have been nice.
The pool was A+. They had an array of pool toys, beach balls, etc., for the kids to play with in the pool. A hot tub, and a little waterfall to add to the ambiance.
As nice as this place is, it has its downfalls. The WiFi......terrible. For all three of our rooms in various locations on the 2nd floor, you had to walk to your door to be able to pick up the network, and once you got connected, you got one "bar". You could walk across your room to the window, surf the web (slowly), and then your connection would drop. They need more access points.
As nice as the buildings are, the location is not as nice. It is situated between I-5 and the Amtrak/commuter train tracks. If you don't hear the traffic, you hear the Amtrak/commuter train whistle, which seemed to go by quite often.
There was a DVD player in our room, and as we were checking out, someone was returning a DVD. They apparently have a library and loan out DVD's from the front desk. That would have been nice to know when we checked in.
Lastly, the beach. While they don't advertise that they are on the beach (but near to it if I recall), you actually have to drive there. It's several blocks, and parking is difficult to find. If the beach is your primary destination, it will be a challenge to go to and fro each day.
Bottom line, would we stay here again, maybe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next to the pristine beaches of Carlsbad, minutes from attractions such as LEGOLAND, the Museum of Making Music, Lagoons and Outlet Shopping, our boutique style hotel offers 86 rooms including 36 suites. All rooms include one or two king sized beds, free wireless HSIA, 37" flatscreen tv's, refrigerator stocked with two complimentary welcome waters upon arrival, microwave, hairdryer, iron / ironing board, and complimentary full breakfast. For relaxation enjoy our water wall around a sparkling pool/whirlpool. Adults take part in our Seasonal Pour while our smaller guests enjoy cookies and milk at bedtime. Let our shuttle service (within 5 miles of the hotel)take your mind off gathering directions while our Concierge team plan your next move. The property features two dining on-site dining options Bistro West (Contemporary Farm to Table faire) and West Steak and Seafood (Fine Dining). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your West Inn & Suites Carlsbad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad Hotel Carlsbad
- West Inn And Suites Carlsbad
- West Hotel Carlsbad
- Carlsbad West Hotel