“Satisfactory”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here last night with my teenage son. It was fine. Hotel was clean and it included a free breakfast buffet, which was mediocre. The room had two king beds and the furniture was tasteful and modern. It wasn't in the most convenient location to downtown Carlsbad Village. I prefer to be in walking distance and this wasn't. The hotel was lacking in personality, which to me is important. If that is not important to you, this hotel is a good choice. For me, I like character and would stay else wear the next time I am in town. The price was reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NJBetsy

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I are here visiting Legoland with our 4 children for the first time and we are not even through our first 12hrs here. We already want to book our next visit here with West Inn & Suites, Carlsbad. I don't even know where to begin with the compliments and accolades. Everything from service to convenience to family-friendly attitudes regarding ANY aspect of our stay has been superb.

First of all, they remembered that we are celebrating one of my children's birthdays and they had "Happy Birthday" balloons waiting in the room when we arrived from the airport this afternoon. The staff are so pleasant and accomodating! The location is perfect, a mere hop and a skip from Legoland.

I had wondered about staying at the Sheraton or Grand Palisades which are both practically on the property of Legoland and I am so very glad we went with this choice instead! The value has been beyond what I expected and the surprise touches made here just keep coming. From cookies and milk at bedtime in the main lobby, shuttle service to and from Legoland just over a mile away, beautiful property and decor, great restaurants and food, right on down to the AVEDA brand toiletries in the clean and elegant guest bathrooms are just some of the pleasantries we've experienced so far in the short 8hrs we've been here.

One of the staff members at the front desk personally made our dinner arrangements for this evening along with our transport for tomorrow to and from Legoland, along with our dinner reservations for tomorrow with our eldest son, for whom she flagged as a birthday celebrant with the restaurant.

I can go on but I also want to do an addendum after we depart. So far, I could not be more pleased with my decision to stay here at West Inn & Suites, Carlsbad. My family and I are truly impressed.

Room Tip: The Queen double suite has a very convenient layout that comes with a refrigerator and microwave, th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Quite literally this is the finest hotel I have ever stayed in!! From the front desk staff who looked up menus and printed them for us to the housekeeping staff who greeted us in the halls to the pool area which was clean private and well thought out to the cookies and milk and happy hour(5-6 Monday through Thursday) along with the breakfast which was hot and plentiful!! I can't say enough about the staff and how they bent over backwards to treat us as nicely as i have ever been treated at a property. We stayed for 3 nights and just returned yesterday. I will try to go over our stay and keep it concise. We arrived after being on Catalina Island for 3 days and we were exhausted. Check-in was so smooth and we were in our room within minutes. We were offered help with our luggage but declined. Our room was clean and cool with a living room when you walk in then a large bathroom with a very nice walk-in shower.which separated the living room from the bedroom area and allowed someone to be up in the living area without disturbing someone sleeping in the bedroom. Well thought out!! Flat-screen tv's in both rooms is a nice plus. Aveda soaps and shampoos. and the hotel is about 2 blocks from the ocean. I really enjoyed sitting by the pool which is small but nice with pool towels on each chair and flavored water in an iced cooler always available.Breakfast consisted of a meat(bacon or sausage) pancakes eggs cereals fruits pastries ...really good! An example of how nice they are...a family with 2 small children was at breakfast and asked about some hash brown potatoes they had the previous day. The worker went into the kitchen and prepared a platter of them for the family and delivered them to the table...WOW what hotel does that at a free breakfast buffet?? Oh yeah the beds are to die for!!! In conclusion the staff make this the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I have been to so many hotels that have equal or better amenities but the staffs have work and friendly demeanor was the difference!!

Room Tip: get the king suite it is only a few dollars more per night but well worth it!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Super friendly staff and very clean room. This was our second time to stay at the West Inn, and it was equally as good as the first. Well appointed rooms, attention to detail, comfortable bed and a huge shower. Very nice breakfast area. The hot breakfast buffet is mediocre at best, but the convenience is a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great hotel. Stayed 3 nights. Sofa-bed perfect for 2 young children. Kids loved daily swimming in pool. Staff were awesome. Courtesy shuttle rides to/from Legoland and Carlsbad beach. They even had beach sand toys, umbrella, chairs, towels, & boogie boards at no extra cost. Complimentary water nice too.

Pros:
Location to Legoland, Staff, Cleanliness, Pool, Breakfast Buffet, Wireless

Cons:
Had to move from room after 1st night being right next to kitchen/breakfast buffet woke us up way too early...they really shouldn't rent this room or warn customers prior.
No bathroom fans?

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms away from Kitchen/Breakfast Buffet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We found The West Inn to be all the wonderful things that everyone said in their reviews! Wonderful service, very clean, comfortable bed, spacious and beautiful room, good food at the restaurants, great location. We loved it and left feeling so rested and relaxed! We hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The staff friendliness is the best asset of this property. The attentiveness and enthusiasm of the staff was great. Room was clean and comfortable ...the free buffet breakfast of the week end was a disaster. Doubt i would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family