“WONDERFUL HOTEL, THEY DON'T FORGET ANYTHING!”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
minnesota
“WONDERFUL HOTEL, THEY DON'T FORGET ANYTHING!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were impressed from the moment we walked in the door to cookies and milk to when we left 4 days later. The rooms are great, we had 2 king beds. The breakfast was the best I've ever had at a hotel. a bowl of fresh cut up strawberries was my favorite. They also had french toast, pancakes or waffles every morning along with eggs, meat and more than you can imagine. The hotel also has DVD players in the rooms and a large list of movies you can borrow free of charge. They also have boogie boards, towels, umbrellas and beach chairs for you to use when you go to the beach. The staff was wonderful, all very friendly and helpful with whatever you needed. The beach is about 2-3 blocks away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
Spring Valley, California, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This place is a lot like a bed and breakfast in all they provide. The staff was very courteous, they provide shuttle service to anywhere within 5 miles. That service even continues the day you check out. There are complimentary movies and games to check out at the front desk, as well as all you would need for a day at the beach (Chairs, Towels, umbrellas, boogie boards and coolers) all complimentary. The breakfast included is hot. At bedtime they have cookies and milk. The room was clean and up to date, and lastly the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had a weekend stopover here as part of a business trip - well it was stay here or else near Philadelphia. This would be a 5* review apart from a couple of things.

I changed hotel for the weekend as the one I had booked into during the week was too far from the downtown area and the beach for my liking. The hotel is sited near to the railway tracks that run parallel with the seafront so expect to hear the trains periodically. This said at night, the room was very peaceful and I had no issues sleeping at all.

Check-in was efficient, but unfortulately I discovered a mother and small child in the room I have been allocated complete with lego bricks scattered all over the floor. It turned out that she had persuaded the maid to let her into the wrong room on check-in (so instead of using her room key - which would not have worked the maid let her into the wrong room).

Mistakes happen, and after a quick trip to reception, I ended up in the room that the other guest would have otherwise had. The room itself was spotless and comfortable my only complaint was that the bath plug leaked water so a nice bath was frustrated by the water running away.
Breakfast was a simple buffet and I think slightly tailored to families. From my perspective I have had better but it was ok for my needs.

The hotel (as do a lot of others in the area) run a free shuttle for guests to anywhere within a certain distance of the hotel. I used it to get to the Premium Outlets and it works well, you can phone for a pickup or arrange a pickup time with the driver.

Overall, if I were taking a family to the nearby Legoland park then this is a good choice. Apart from breakfast and the predonimance of families I think also that business travellers would be reasonably happy here too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AndyY_UK
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Service is excellent, room is very large, bathroom is clean and has everything you need.

Fridge with two waters, sink available which is great.

Breakfast buffet is included which is good, but no a la carte available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
new jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night because it's close to Legoland; the room was spacious and comfortable with two king beds. The bedding and amenities in the room were fantastic (soft sheets, comfortable beds, Aveda products). Breakfast was great and the pool opens early, which was terrific for my kids! Legoland is about five minutes away.

1 Thank velnj
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just returned from a one week vacation in southern California, which included two nights at the West Inn & Suites. I have to say I was very impressed with this facility. It is very clean, modern, and has plenty of amenities.

Our room (king suite) was very spacious and was ready for us, even though we were a few hours early for check-in. They even had the rollaway bed I requested already in the room waiting. The king bed was extremely comfortable and the linens were soft and high quality. It was probably one of the top 3 most comfortable hotel beds I've encountered.

The interior of the hotel and the room itself are quiet, but the hotel is right next to railroad tracks. I believe it's for a commuter train and every 30 minutes or so a train does come through with horns blaring. It's quick, but you can definitely hear it. We were never awoken by it, but if you're a light sleeper it's something to consider.

The bathroom had great lighting and plenty of towels. They provided Aveda toiletries, two comfortable robes, and a modern shower (we had no tub). Each of our two televisions had a DVD player, and you could borrow movies from the front desk for free.

There were so many small touches that made you feel comfortable and relaxed. It was very beachy themed. From the painted rock to indicate whether or not you wanted fresh sheets, to the seashell hung from a ribbon to indicate you don't want to be disturbed - you can tell they had thought out everything. Even the smell when you walk in the door was clean and inviting.

Breakfast was plentiful, but busy. Be warned that seating can be hard to come by. They may want to consider moving some of the larger living room type furniture and replacing it with chairs/tables during breakfast hours in the peak months.

The pool and spa were very clean and nice. The provided water, magazines, towels, and pool toys were a very nice touch. A suggestion for the hotel - add a bit more shade out there, please!

We utilized the free shuttle to Legoland and it was wonderful. I was expecting one or two scheduled times in the morning and afternoon where we had to pile into a shuttle bus with 20 other people, but it wasn't like that at all. They had a minivan and it was just our family of four. We signed up for the specific time we wanted to leave and then called when we wanted to be picked up. It was great. They even provide car seats or boosters so you don't have to unbuckle yours from your own vehicle. Again, small touches that mean so much!

They have their own West branded gas station and convenience store right within the parking lot area, so you can pick up drinks or snacks without even having to get into your car. I did pay almost $8 for a 12 pack of Diet Coke, but I suppose that's the price to pay for convenience, right? :)

They are a very pet-friendly hotel. We didn't travel with ours, but if you're looking for a place that welcomes your pet with open arms - this is the one. One of the staff even had his pup behind the front desk working with him. As someone who is heavily involved in animal rescue, this warmed my heart - and the kids loved it, too!

We truly enjoyed our stay at the West Inn & Suites. Our only disappointment was that we only stayed two nights! I'm not sure if our travels will ever bring us back to Carlsbad, but if they do - we will most certainly be staying here again!

1 Thank lucky8s
henderson, NV
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just returned from a week at the West Inn & Suites. It was perfect. We had a huge room (double king suite), great breakfast, free wifi, free underground parking, free shuttle to Legoland, easy access to I-5 (to get to Sea World, Zoo, Safari Park), easy walk to beach (and the hotel provides toys, towels, cooler, etc), very accommodating staff, AND Rookie the wonderful and gorgeous doggie!!!

In my opinion, this hotel was perfectly located. My husband and son rode their bikes all over...to the beach, the store, and even Legoland.

Some reviews mentioned the power plant next door......to be honest I didn't even notice until I re-read reviews on tripadvisor.....then i looked for it......behind the trees. As for the train......our room was on the side closest to the track......only heard it one time!

ALL THE STAFF said good morning, good evening, hello with a REAL smile on their face!!!!

We met many people from other countries!!! All the guest were polite and civil. The children were even polite....please and thank you!

Will stay here again!