“Worth exploring”
Review of GIA Museum

GIA Museum
Ranked #11 of 63 things to do in Carlsbad
More attraction details
Owner description: GIA's museum in Carlsbad is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8 a.M. To 5 p.M. With appointment.
Carlsbad, CA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Worth exploring”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I visited GIA with my son's class as part of a field trip and was very impressed with the tour, information, and beautiful pieces of jewelry. The location looks out to the ocean and it's intriguing to see how much security is involved in protecting the precious gems housed here. If you have any interest in precious stones and rare jewels this is a fun place to explore.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Melissa S

Livermore,CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Some amazing pieces”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We took the guided docent tour. So. Much. Talking. If you want to learn about the history of the GIA and what students there do, by all means take the docent tour.; Otherwise the displays are very informative and you can pace yourself around quite adequately. We really enjoyed seeing some truly amazing pieces and actually did learn quite a bit about various gem stones. It's an amazing place and worth seeing. Be prepared for a security check. There are millions of dollars of gems here needed to be protected. Glad we made the visit.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank 3CsFamilyTravelers
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Best Free Tour Ever”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

When I go on vacation I look for things off the beaten path. GIA did not disappoint.

The tours are free but you have to make an appointment. We decided to take the self-guided tour but when we arrived there was a docent with nothing to do and she walked us around and gave us the history on everything.

If you're in town, you have to visit the GIA.

1 Thank Yukonpuppy
Vista, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great place to see”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a neat place to see. You can either book a fully guided tour or take a self-guided tour with a docent available to answer questions. I took the self-guided tour so I could spend as much or little time as I wanted touring the facility. There are lots of gorgeous jewelry pieces, gems, and mineral samples that are very impressive. You can also look inside the labs and see jewelers doing their training. Just make sure you have a reservation before you got for security reasons. Well worth a stop if you are in Carlsbad area.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank SirEdward7
Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“I love this place!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm a gem hunter want to be so this place is a dream for me. If you appreciate earths bling check this place out

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jill F

Been to GIA Museum? Share your experiences!