“It Does not Get Much Better”

Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar
Ranked #22 of 343 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Diego
“It Does not Get Much Better”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have eaten in a lot of Japanese restaurants, including many in Japan, but I have rarely experienced better Japanese food, or food period, than I have at Blue Ocean. My wife an I have eaten here many times, and love to bring guests, who always love it.

Please start with selections from the robata bar, this amazing roasting process infuses the food with amazing flavor. We have tried pretty much everything and it is all good, but be sure to try the tomatoes (yes the tomatoes). The skirt steak is also a favorite.

On to the sushi. Their rolls are good but the real treats are the live selections. This are one of the few places on the planet that I would recommend the uni (sea urchin). We have had it half a dozen times, and all but once it was amazing. Once it was still OK but I will give them an off night .

Try any of the Sake Bombs. My fave is the Fire Bomb.

The atmosphere is trendy and fun. I second the comment about it getting noisy, but it is worth it.

• Visited August 2014

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Energy - Outstanding Food Of This Style”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Clean, bright, interesting room; attentive, smiling waitstaff and first rate sushi and robata. They were happy to make a special roll for us and new dishes arrived at just the right pace. Somewhat noisy, but the music was very agreeable - neither saxophone blather nor electro-dreck. This is a good place to bring a business group, bunch of friends or anything short of young kids and " meat and potato" folks. It is pretty expensive, but the fish was very high quality.

I will be back

Visited August 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Trendy, excellent food, overpriced”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The decor is hip and modern, the sushi is very good, and the prices are a bit high. We ordered the Blue Ocean Special, Deluxe Sashimi. It comes with sea urchin. Try it. You will not forget it.

• Visited May 2014
California
“Sushi Satisfaction”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar is trendy & hip with a modern vibe.I loved the lighting and decor of the restaurant; it has a lively atmosphere! That being said, the sushi was delicious !!! I loved Tango Mango Roll, Albacore Delight & the Dragon roll. Miso soup was comforting as always. I was also in good company.

I would highly recommend this restaurant in the Village!

• Visited August 2014
Bethlehem, PA, USA
“Good sushi, staff unfriendly”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We came early and the staff was unfriendly and not very helpful. When the sushi came, it was good and plentiful. Food is overpriced and atmosphere is not up to its five-star rating. Have had better sushi elsewhere.

Visited July 2014