“Great fresh fish in a relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Fish House Vera Cruz - CLOSED

Fish House Vera Cruz
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Tucson, Arizona
“Great fresh fish in a relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went with the recommendation of our waitress and the fish was really fresh. She was really wonderful, brought us samples of the beer and wine when we couldn't decide and was very attentive even though she had several tables of customers. The cold slaw was excellent, not overly dressed though the twice mashed potatoes were just OK. It was a great meal at a nice location in Carlsbad Village.

Visited September 2012

Phoenix, AZ
“Good but not terrific”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We walked by this place one evening and it was packed – so we thought it must be good and decided to have dinner there the following evening. Plus, it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor!

The décor seems a bit old & tired (even the water in the aquariums look like they could use some freshening.) The waitress was friendly but seemed a bit overwhelmed.

They have a large menu selection, but for the most part, the prices tend to be on the high side.The dinner salad was fine, the sourdough bread warm & tasty. Good thing, because it took quite a while to get our entrees – halibut & sea bass. Both were nice sized portions and very moist. Best seafood in the world?? Or the US?? I don’t think so. Good? Yes, but there are a lot of restaurants in the area that have better seafood.

49th State
“Love, Love, Love”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After flying all day, we were thrilled to eat here. Their food and service are consistently great and a favorite when in So Cal. I ordered the mixed seafood skewer, and my husband ordered the monk fish. They have added a new cocktail lounge, which we also enjoyed. 2 days later we ate at their sister restaurant in San Marcos for lunch. Again, another exceptional dining experience.

San Diego, California
“Can Almost Hear the Ocean”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This restaurant is about 6 blocks from the ocean in downtown Carlsbad, but the decor and food are so authentic that you would swear it is right outside the door. My friend and I arrived right on time for our 6 pm reservation pre theater on a Friday night. Though a few folks were waiting for tables, we were taken right to ours. The waiter appeared in a flash with water, delicious sourdough rolls and our menus. We chose to forgo appetizers, but as main courses I had the Wahoo and WAHOO!, it was delicious. Liz had their Diver scallops, minus the bacon wrapping, and they were huge, intertwined with grilled pineapple pieces and juicy wonderful. Any two side dishes including coleslaw, green veggies, potatoes, rice and tomatoes were offered. Perfect.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Give them a chance & I don't think you'll be sorry”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The older reviews should be overridden (especially on Yelp) because my husband and I enjoyed a lovely meal at Fish House Vera Cruz as we celebrated our ten year anniversary. Despite what we'd read we wanted a sit-down seafood dinner - a fancier night out for our big 10 – so we took a chance. I'm glad we did.

Now yes I will agree that the prices are somewhat on the high side if you only look at the decor inside the space as your basis for comparison. It is very casual & beachy but if you look at what you're eating and where it traveled from to get to your plate the cost isn't so bad for a special night out. I also grew up on the Cape so paying $20 for a piece of fish, pilaf & cole slaw didn't actually seem all that out of control to me. Including 2 glasses of wine, bread, our well stuffed plates AND tip, we spent $75. Would I do this every Friday night? No, but it was a nice meal for a special night out.

We were seated right away (the place was practically empty as we went early, 5:00) and when our waitress (Shannon) didn't appear immediately the water guy (missed his name sorry) took our drink orders & brought bread (warm sourdough - holy delicious!).

Drinks arrived promptly with our waitress. Even when the place started to jam (literally full to capacity) over the next half hour she managed to check on us once & walk past without bothering us 2 more times. She was friendly & attentive. When we were done she brought me a small box and we got our check right away with a smile and eye contact. She encouraged us to return and I would.

I chose a freshly caught piece of fish (I don't do fresh to frozen fish, not at the coast, but they do offer it) that I'd never had before, the Wahoo. It was well seasoned and had a perfect tooth to it. Cooked right, not overdone. The pilaf was fluffy & the coleslaw was just how it should be - cabbage with a hint of mayo NOT the other way around.

We took our leftovers home & had fish tacos for lunch the next day. Perfect!

Thanks for a wonderful anniversary dinner!

Visited September 2012