“Disappointing !”

Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 358 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Tamarack Ave.
Reviewed July 18, 2014

A beautiful location right across the road from the ocean. The hostess was very nice when we stopped by in the afternoon and set up a 7:15 reservation for our party of three. When we arrived the same hostess told us an outdoor table would be a long wait but would try to put us inside near the window. She did a great job and in about 20 minutes we were seated. It was down hill from there. The waiter was very aloof and spent little time with us. The noise level was so loud you could not talk without raising your voice. We had three different entrees, Spaghetti with meatballs, Ravioli with lobster, and Salmon. All three meals were disappointing, in that they were so not special to the point of being bland. We all just ate about half our meals and called for the check. Would never recommend this place.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My favorite restaurant in Carlsbad by far. The homemade pasta. The Vigis Cab! The Happiness Hour! State Street Vigis and the 101 Vigis are my hangouts. I was there twice this week and can't wait to go again. The people on State St. The bartender Emma! Simone the handsome charming Italian manager! Wonderful! Juan the bartender at the 101 location, he makes me laugh. The sunsets. The outdoor seating with our new baby Bulldog. The Sinatra on the sound system, I can't help singing out loud. Happy at Vigis! I sing in a wedding recently and they asked me what I wanted most.

2  Thank Msmonacomusic
Reviewed June 11, 2014

While the setting (right across from the beach) and atmosphere are beautiful, and the service was also good, we were just slightly disappointed in some of our food. After reading such rave reviews about the Cioppino, and also taking into consideration that it was one of our server's recommendations, Steve chose that for his entree. We were disappointed that it simply tasted like Cayenne pepper. Way too much cayenne pepper. One dimensional, and totally overpowering all that beautiful seafood. Maybe it was an off night? For one of their signature dishes, really? It's not that we don't enjoy spicy food, but that should not be the only element that one picks up in the dish. I would have sent it back as unedible, but, well, he's a guy, and guys don't return food to the kitchen very often! My seafood variety plate was better. Large scallop was perfectly done. Large prawn and salmon piece were excellent. Fresh fish piece was bland. And stuffed Calamari was -- well, really not good at all. Rubbery, and filling was totally bland. Overpowered by a mountain of arugula (half that amount would do it, guys) as the filler for the plate. It should be said here that our wine was excellent!
When the waiter dropped off an empty dish and it had old food stuck to the side, I politely asked for a clean one. His comment was, "That's just for your empty shells". Hmmmm. So that means......it doesn't need to be clean? If it was for food he would be sure it was clean, but otherwise it didn't matter? How about, "So sorry, we'll get you another right away". I wasn't upset about the dishwasher missing that spot. but his justification seemed inappropriate.
All-in-all, a just a little disappointing. Not sorry that we went, but we would not be returning here with so many fine seafood restaurants to choose from along the coast.

1  Thank PassportEnvyTA
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My wife and I were invited to join some friends for dinner at Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse on Highway 101 (not the OTHER Vigilucci's in Carlsbad which is the TripAdvisor-ranked #2 restaurant in Carlsbad). Our group of 12 sat at a long table in front of a waterfall sculpture wall. We received excellent service and the entrees, selected from an extensive menu, were delicious. I ordered Alaskan King Crab with pasta and my wife ordered the Meatballs and Spaghetti. Other orders of note included a very thick pork chop and an 18-oz rib eye steak. Everyone loved their meals! We ordered four bottles of reasonably priced wine ($30-$45), including an Oregon pinot noir, a Napa conundrum, a Paso Robles pinot noir and a crisp Napa chardonnay. This restaurant, located near the beach on Highway 101, is worthy of a special occasion, a romantic evening, or just anytime you want to enjoy food prepared Italian style. "Traveling the meal one meal at a time..."

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I ate here on June 6th. I came here specifically for the Cioppino and was not disappointed! My wife had the spaghetti with meatballs that she said was very good. As we eat a lot of Italian food, we are pretty harsh critics. The staff was very attentive, the food superior and the atmosphere comfortable. Prices are on the top end, but everything considered well worth it! Highly recommended. Take the time to explore Carlsbad Village while there.