“Authentic italian seafood pasta”

Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 339 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Italian, American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Tamarack Ave.
Boston, MA
“Authentic italian seafood pasta”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

There are two Vigilucci restauarants in Carlsbad. This review is for the Seafood and Steakhouse which is located right on the beach, with waterviews. (Across the street from the water.) And sunset views. Consider which type of food you are looking for before you make your reservation, although there is some crossover.

My husband and I dined here on our last night in Carlsbad. The meal was excellent and the seafood and pasta dishes were very authentic, not like commercial italian american fare. The ambiance was nice, although they had the only rainy evening perhaps in a year and everyone was inside, the outdoor tables were covered and it was too cold to sit outside. Just like a summer vacation in Maine! The interiors are just as pictured on their website, and the italian music on the website does give you a feeling what kind of place it is. Nice for a date. Food to savor. Take some time.

As an east coast vacationer, it is difficult to look at the beach in southern California everyday without wondering where are all the fishes? There are no little boats bringing in the catch and no little shacks where the guy in the back is cleaning the fish the minute before you eat it. There are not lobsters crawling up out of the sea and crashing into boiling pots. I don't know where they are, but they are not there. I was in Carlsbad, and some information told me there were some local mussels about...it must be true? The lobster on the menu in this restaurant came from Maine. I also heard rumors that halibut is caught off the coast, when I asked a guy doing some fishing.

With that caveat, the only really impressive seafood I saw was the giant, fresh Diver Scallop that came on top of my Spaghetti Portofino (and my husband's fettucini dish) at Vigilucci's. There were also baby clams, very tender, mussels, very tender, and a shrimp or two, and extremely tender delicious calamari. So, not plentiful seafood falling in piles, but extremely good. The sauces were excellent, the pasta was done just right, it had almost too much sauce, and the size of the dish, it was just enough. The Diver Scallop, to die for. I would suggest they upgrade the shrimp a teensy bit, but I don't know what the market price is in CA. This pasta course might be followed by one of the meat entrees, but not by me. But you would probably get an appetizer if you were having the meat, there were a range of steaks...$30- $50. And the special was some kind of risotto with filet mignon on top. There were at least half a dozen salads to choose from, too.

The wine list....I had the California Wente chardonnay, a perfect choice, and the tiramisu for dessert...perfect with the regular coffee, black.I usually choose an appetizer OR a dessert, not both. If I choose an appetizer I am not hungry for dessert, but I guessed correctly and was able to order the tiramisu. Hubby was too full from the fettucini, and he may have eaten the basket of bread with oil and balsamic. This tiramisu was perfect, light savoiard cookies, deep with coffee/cocoa flavor, creamy and light with marscapone and some kind of chocolate on top, really perfect with black coffee.

Angela knew when I was thirsty and had my wine refilled like magic. The wine list, for by the glass, had good choices. The ambiance was nice, it was not hurried, and it was not noisy, and this was the winter season, Sunset at 5:15, and we were eating already; we could hear the music. Two small boys, like twins, ate up in a booth with dad or grandad, very cute, caused no trouble and there seems to have been something edible for them, too.

This was a perfect meal, and a contrast to so much of the California "fun foods" or mexican fusion everything, you have to eat when you are vacationing in a big group. The menu has the italian names alongside English names for the dishes. I would go back to try some of the things I missed, especially an appetizer, and my husband is always looking for the best lobster raviolli. Luckily we live near Maine. I have returned home now, hungry for New England seafood.

• Vietnamese first
“Great authentic Italian food”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

After a long day and several mix ups trying to meet up with family we finally got together at this fantastic restaurant. It was a great way to end a hectic day. The staff was very pleasant. What a thrill to be served by Italian speaking wait staff and management! The food was delightfully presented and delicious. The staff was very accommodating and quickly took care of the kids in our group. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. Ciao!

Visited January 2014
Vallejo, California
“Gorgeous Filet”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had a wonderful filet mignon at this classy restaurant. Sat outdoors and the many warmers kept us comfortable. The delightful server with a charming Italian accent, was so attentive and friendly. There were three of us and we all had the filet and all agreed it was wonderful. This is a high end restaurant that I would recommend for any romantic dinner.

Oceanside, California
“Pricy but worth it”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

At an excellent sea side location with view of the sunset, this is a very nice restaurant in Carlsbad, CA. Excellent menu , on the high range of price, particularly the daily specials which range $40 plus for the daily specials and buy small portions.
Romantic... of sorts, with very good service

• Visited December 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“One of the best Italian Restaurants”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not only in the area but in the land....the hot spinach salad was outstanding, the scallop starter amazing and the veal chop immense and tasty.