“So much food. Such a great price.”
Review of Tip Top Meats

Tip Top Meats
Ranked #1 of 358 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This is a family favorite for us. We LOVE going for breakfast and getting pancakes and all-you-can eat bacon! You get huge portions and the prices are totally reasonable. The service is always great and it has such a fun atmosphere, with pictures of German castles all around and the attached German market and butcher shop. We love to wander around and show the kids all the "weird" things that people in other countries eat. Just make sure you

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great value and a lot of food. Located inside a meat market not where you would expect to find a restaurant.Service was good to take your order, You are on your own to refill your drinks,However it is worth it for the saving.

When we went to leave we stopped by and bought some meats to prepare for dinner since we were staying at a resort with our own kitchen, The meat was very good and great prices as well.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Well, staying in Carlsbad, CA we decided to try some German home cooked food.
Looking at the recommendations/ratings on various sites, we decided to give this place a try. The first night we got there at a little after 8PM. They close at 8pm sharp although they continue to serve customers who are in the cue, after that time. So the first trip was a bust. We went somewhere else that first evening.

The next night, we trudged over for our home cooked German meal. Unfortunately, the food wasn't great, but it certainly was reasonably priced.

I should say that the store is divided into a front half and a back, dinner half. The register for ordering/paying is at the back. You pay at the time you order. The layout is anything but intuitive.

I ordered a stuffed pork chop while my wife ordered cordon blue. Both were very dry, despite a generous serving of gravy. The stuffing was good, but the meat was just tough and dry. We also had soup. The vegetable soup was fine. The beef barley was more like a stuff than a soup of the day.

We didn't go for any deserts. No coffee, just some iced tea, soft drinks and chocolate milk.
Nothing fancy. Self serve on the beverages (except the milk) with endless refills.

So, in the end we were more than a little disappointed. I'd hoped for a simply schnitzel but the meal didn't even come close. I hope it was simply a result of being at the end of the night but still, I wouldn't go again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Tip Top is primarily a butcher shop and delicatessen. I go there to purchase German food items as my Mother's family hail from the former East Germany.
The meat and groceries are not cheap but they are all of the highest quality.

Just recently I had both my German mother and German mother in-law staying with us at the same time. Not as bad as that sounds as they are great friends and often reminisce about good old Deutchland.

I had never eaten in the restaurant there but thought it would be something that we all may enjoy.
The restaurant it self is typically German. Not the most asthetically pleasing place and quite plain but well lit and clean.
The food was fantastic, more than I could eat and the three of us ate and had a beer for under $40. I worked it out that eating at the restaurant was actually cheaper than buying the ingredients and cooking at home. For those reasons I will definitely go back to eat as well as pick up those hard to find German items.

2  Thank sirkevin1967
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Good value for any meal. Bring a container to take home as there will certainly be leftovers. Breakfast is my favorite but lunch & dinner are great. Many selections of sausages. The grocery is mainly German but the meat counter is outstanding.

Been to Tip Top Meats? Share your experiences!