“Excellent menu, poor execution!”
Review of Armenian Cafe - CLOSED

Armenian Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: INDOOR & OUTDOOR OCEAN VIEW DINING - HEATED OUTDOOR PATIOS - LIVE ENTERTAINMENT AND BELLY DANCING ON THE WEEKENDS
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent menu, poor execution!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This restaurant has prime location, great service and SO-SO everything else.

Menu is very appealing and well written. It offers tons of options of traditional American meals (i.e. eggs, sandwiches, waffles, etc.) and great selection of Armenian and Greek/Mediterranean meals.

It was a warm summer day but despite the heat i wanted to tray few things...so, I went for the CHICKEN SHISH KEBAB platter which came with lemon soup, Armenian salad, kebab and rice. Soup was too thick and maybe more suited for a cold winter day in Ohio, salad was less than average, chicken was tasty and nicely marinated, unfortunately i got only 4 small pieces (each piece equals a bite for most men, or two for the lady like eaters). There was enough rice to fill you up, but for $13.95 i expected more meat, less onions and rice.

Most upsetting was their wine serving... $8.95 for a glass of decent Lebanese sauvignon blanc, but the glass was very small and half full or half emtpy... whichever way you call it, way too obvious how they make their money, basically each sip of wine cost me almost $2, and each bite of chicken $3.

Service was great.

Overall feel of the restaurant was very average (i.e. ugly dated green vinyl table cloths, ugly dated white plates, very light and cheep cutlery, wine glasses obviously from a 99 cent stores...).

You get the picture. Don't recommend.

• Visited July 2013

Mesa, AZ
“Fabulous”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was the best lamb kabob I have ever had. The service was outstanding, from the host who sat us, to the waitress that took care of us and the dancer who created a fan in a four year old boy for life! He is already asking can he return to dance with "the lady" Our waitress recommended new things to try and even gave us samples. A great dinner experience that I look forward to repeating someday when I return to Carlsbad.

Visited July 2013
Payson, Arizona
“Great Service!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

First, the wait staff was awesome and very helpful. We went for dinner and we were disappointed that we could not order a gyros unless it was in a platter (which is grossly over priced at $14.95 with a few skimpy pieces of meat and a huge helping of tasteless rice and bland salad.) I ordered a falafel pizza and asked for the garlic sauce - it was left off. Luckily, the waitress noticed and brought me some. I also asked for no cheese and there was cheese on it! Very disappointing. I really wanted to like this place but I just feel like I got ripped off. I don't understand all the positive reviews.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank mmrbci
“Motorcycle Ride to Coast Ends up with Dinner”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We took a great leisurely motorcycle ride over to the coast on a Saturday afternoon. It was about 4:45 when we decided to go to the Armenian Cafe in Carlsbad. Hadn't been there in a while. Same great food, service and ambience. Even though you are right on the main street, they have plexiglass window to shield you from the street noise. The food is always delicious. There is not one item on the menu that is not tasty and well prepared. I had the gyro armenian salad - so many wonderful flavors, my tastebuds had a field day! The hubby had the Armenian pizza with a side salad and finished it off - no problem.
We ordered dessert to take home. Well, the only ding against this restaurant is that the baklava and the cheesecake both tasted stale. That's a first because before the baklava was fantastic. Not sure what happened but probably won't order that again.
Be sure to get there early as they do fill up. Fridays and Saturdays at 8;00 they feature belly dancers, so if that is your thing, enjoy. I've seen them once and they are really good - just not while I'm eating.

• Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“Stopped for the waffles, enjoyed the Mediterranean food!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Driving up the coast our eye caught the sign for Belgian Waffles. Sounded like a good place for brunch. But the extensive menu peaked our interest with a wide range of Mediterranean and Armenian dishes. We ordered one waffle for the tables since they featured it, but it was unremarkable. Stick with the less American dishes, which were all tasty and unusual. Some of the deck has an ocean view.

• Visited May 2013