“Great hotel, beware of reservations!”

LEGOLAND California Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel, beware of reservations!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The epic stay for 10 year old boys but beware of their reservations department. We fist booked two nights in a kingdom room then added on a third night. We had to call back because we noticed the third night had not been booked on the consecutive night. It took several phone calls to fix this because they said the hotel was booked but a manager finally called us to make sure we had a room and even offered us an upgrade but our boys wanted to try a different themed room in our stay. So even though it meant we had to pack all our stuff back in our car and we didn't have a room to come back to during the day at the park we figured it was worth it for the kids. So after the second night we checked out of our kingdom themed room and pre-checked our adventure room by 9:30 am. While we were in the park that day we received a phone call letting us know our room was ready. When we got our room keys at the end of the day not only were they not a different themed room but it was for the same room next to the one we had checked out of that morning! All that work to just disappoint our children and frustrate the husband! We weren't offered an upgrade just offered 20% off our night stay which probably doesn't even cover your hotel taxes! Major hassle and major let down! Boo Lego Hotel Reservations.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Pacificraindrop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sykesville, MD
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Traveled with my Mom, sister, and nieces age 7 and 9. Top of the line customer service; staff took care of every detail and helped us with laundry, park info, extra towels, extra bedding. Excellent room service; very clean. Fun treasure hunt when you arrive. Lego characters walk around, evening entertainment for the kids, pool, fun decor. Don't miss trading your miniature lego person with any hotel or park staff member. Building wave pool to add to their water park. Breakfast has no line before 8am; after that, the line moves fairly quickly anyway; food VERY VERY good for breakfast and dinner; kids and adults loved it; great assortment; kids buffet at kids level; don't miss the dinner package, it's worth it. We stayed in a Kingdom Suite; tiny bunk bed/trundle room the size of a closet; only 1 bathroom for the suite.

1 Thank 1Kplaces2See
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very creative with their approach to entertaining the kids. It was like its own kidland. Between treasure hunts, legos everywhere to play with and a dream kid room, it was kid paradise. The staff was great and for so much traffic everything was clean and upkept.

• Stayed March 2014
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I just returned from a two night's stay at the Legoland hotel, so I wanted to write my review while the trip was still fresh in my mind.

Before I get into it, let me preface my review by saying this. I read (and glanced) over the reviewers who gave the hotel a “one-star” rating. Two things that you need to consider. One, if the review contains multiple spelling errors, disregard it. If the writer can't take a few extra seconds to proofread their own review (or worse, don’t know how to spell), then I don’t place a lot of stock in their opinion. And two - folks, we’re all adults here. There is an expectation to do a bit of research when scheduling your vacation. Information on the days Legoland is open, what rides are operating on what days, what’s closed, etc., is readily available on their website. Or you could always call the hotel. And something like the weather outlook is also accessible online – there’s no reason anyone should be surprised that there are times when you can’t go swimming in Southern California in January. While it is warmer than many parts of the country, it can get chilly; after all it IS still Winter.

Forgive the snarky tone; I just hate to see a rating of something unjustifiably lowered due to bad reviews from people who neglected to do their due diligence. At the same time, as excellent of a stay as we had, don’t misconstrue my defense as meaning my review is going to be free of criticism. So let me break it down:

Parking: Ample parking. And because we arrived after 10:00 PM, pretty much all of the patrons were already there and the good spaces were taken. But the walk to the lobby wasn’t bad at all.

Check in: It was a breeze; friendly staff and the desk clerk said that they were going to “upgrade” our room. We never found out what we were upgraded from (as we had reserved the Pirate-themed room), but in any instance, an upgrade is always a positive.

The Room: Based on my due diligence and calling the hotel, I knew going in that there were no doors inside of our room separating the kids’ side of the room from the adult’s. French doors, a partition of some sort as seen in other kid-friendly hotels would have been nice, but, okay, fine. However, I was expecting a door at least to the bathroom. What they have is a sliding door that slides across the opening to the bathroom, and there is no lock. I’m guessing the Dutch aren’t as particular about privacy as we prissy Americans, so any semblance of privacy in the rooms is strictly on the honor system. Also, there is no fan in the ceiling; not so much for ventilation, but to mask some of the sounds that might be produced while something is in there. We relied on having the televisions on for ambient noise.

Bricks Restaurant: Helpful tip. Pay for your food order (either breakfast or dinner) up front; you’ll save money buying in advance if you’re going to eat there anyway. The food was typical buffet fare, but there was a good selection and they had plenty of food. There is a shopping outlet nearby with other dining options, but seriously, you can eat at Subway and TGI Fridays at home and probably would spend more. Save your gas and parking spot, and just enjoy the whole experience by eating on site. You’re on vacation, remember; be adventurous and do things you can’t do when you’re at home.

Pool: Yes, we went to Legoland for a few hours, but our kids were really looking forward to going to the pool at the hotel. There were plenty of lounge chairs, but we commandeered one of the cabanas and enjoyed our time there while the kids splashed around. They had really cool rubbery lego brick water toys for the kids to play and build with. You can also order food while at the pool, and the prices weren’t that bad. There are friendly lifeguards on duty at all times.

Perks: Hotel guests get discounted rates into Legoland (for those who didn’t already purchase their tickets at a discount beforehand). And while hotel guests have exclusive early access to the park (a half hour before the park opens to the general public), note that you get into the park early - not all of the rides open early. But it’s early enough to get into position for when your ride(s) of choice opens. Also, the hotel offers in-house entertainment for the kids several times in the afternoon, once you’re all done playing at Legoland, Sea Life Aquarium or the Water Park.

Surprises: The hotel also has a few surprises, which I will not reveal in my review. Let’s just say that they were very nice touches; things I’ve never seen before in a hotel or otherwise.

Issues: The only major issue I had when I checked out was I noticed I was charged for three breakfast orders when I only ordered one (arrived on a Thursday night; checked out Saturday morning). Fortunately I was still on the premises when I noticed, took it up with the front desk, and they were apologetic about the error, made the adjustment for me and gave me a printout for my records. When I drafted this email, it was still the weekend, so I have to wait for the next business day or two to make sure I am charged the accurate amount, but I’m taking for granted it will be correct.

Summary: Other than those issues with the odd lack of privacy in the rooms, the overcharge and hearing children stomping down the halls above us (which I know is not the hotel's fault - where are the parents??), I can’t say one negative thing about our stay. I thought this was an absolutely wonderful hotel, I like the operation (there was nothing our room was lacking, but the house staff was quick to provide an extra laundry bag for our dirty clothes), love the activities for the kids, loved the pool, love the area in which it’s located and I honestly didn’t want to leave because it was so relaxing. I actually asked about tacking on an additional night to our stay, but was told they were no vacancies, which I understand. I definitely would stay again….if I could get a really good discounted rate. Be mindful that the room rates are a tad expensive. But I’m sure this is the case if you stay at Disneyland, Universal Studios or any other nice resort. If you have the means and want the whole Legoland experience, do the research, check the weather, bring swimsuits and definitely stay at this hotel. The kids are guaranteed to love it, you’ll have a great time as well and don’t be surprised if you find yourself humming disco tunes after your stay...

Room Tip: Unless your kids have a particular allegiance to a floor theme (Medieval, Pirate or Indiana Jones-st...
13 Thank SynthPopLover
Frank I, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear “SynthPopLover”,

On behalf of the entire Resort, I want to thank you for your kind and thorough review of LEGOLAND Hotel!

I truly appreciate you sharing your recent experience with us and providing your constructive feedback. Your time taken to outline the details of the Hotel is great and very informative for future guests.

I do want to apologize for any inconvenience caused by the billing issue, but I’m happy to hear the Front Desk Agent was quick to help rectify your issue.

Thank you again, “SynthPopLover”, and I sincerely hope we will see you and your family again in the near future!

Warm regards,
Frank Idris
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is incredible! We recently spent one night here and plan to go back again ASAP!
The rooms are amazing, they are clean, the beds are comfortable and everything is beautiful.
The bathrooms are tidy and everything is in impeccable condition.
The staff is friendly and even saved us $30 by pointing out that we could get a discount on Legoland entry.
The swimming pool is fun for the kids and the lifeguards are helpful with making sure everyone is safe and having fun.
I think the best part is definitely the elevators! So fun!
I have already suggested this resort to several of my friends and family!

Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just returned from the Legoland Hotel. I know that Disneyworld/land is the 'happiest place on earth' but my son now refers to this hotel as 'the happiest place on earth'. We loved the treasure hunt, elevator, whoopy cushion and mini men trading. We loved the decorations in our room. We loved the swimming pool. As you can probably see we LOVED this hotel. If you get an opportunity please go here. I want to add that we were there during an off season period. Things might be crazy when it is busy at the hotel.

1 Thank mistrygirl-5
Panama
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Excellent hotel.

You feel like you are in the Disney Cruise.

I Celebrate my daughters birthday and stayed 2 days there.

They have good prices, they make happy hours in the beers and they put them very cheap. The food is very good and not too pricey.

The rooms very very clean and beautiful themes.

The hotel smell like new, you children will never get bored.

Room Tip: Choose the breakfast and dinner package to get good save. The breakfast is very big and delicious...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family