“A resort made just for kids! Fun and creative, but lacking amenities for adults”

LEGOLAND California Hotel
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
SF Bay Area, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you're going LEGOLAND, chances are you have already resigned to the fact that it won't be a zen experience with spa appointments and yoga, and you are in for a hectic but fun-packed family experience. By staying at LEGOLAND hotel, you take that hands-on experience the theme park is known for a few steps further. The hotel is designed with kids in mind in every regard. Upon arrival, you see the Lego-built knight, pirates, dragon figures, and then you walk into the lobby, and see a decent sized Lego pit and wall, a perfect place for your children to waste time as you line up to pre-register for your room. I spent at least 25 minutes picking up my tickets and pre-registering for our room. The service upon arrival is poor-- not for lack of effort but they simply are not efficient and aren't staffed properly to handle the long lines. Also, my advice to you, skip the valet and self park while leaving your luggage in the car. The self park lot is very close to the hotel and you can save 30 minutes by not waiting for valet and baggage check-in. Your room won't be ready until 3-4pm anyways during peak time so hit the park once you pre-register and don't wait!

Behind the hotel lobby is a large castle and pirate ship Lego model with more Lego pieces for kids to build on and play area to explore. All the kids activities (i.e. Hero Training, contests) all congregate here. It is conveniently situated right across (within 6 feet) from a bar where parents can get a drink as they observe their children play from afar.

The elevators are awesome-- once the door shuts, it transforms into a disco ballroom with lights and the hottest disco jams! It is probably my favorite part of the hotel because it's so creative and original. We've captured some fun video clips of my son dancing to the music!

The rooms are cleverly designed. We had an Adventure Theme room and it was as expected-- a few Lego built animals throughout the room and "Indiana Jones" like Lego themed patterns on our bedding, bathroom decorations, walls and curtains. My son loved it! But the best part was the kids' room-- yes, the bunk bed (and trundle included) was in its own section of the room, and equipped with games and a TV just for kids. The parents' bed is on the other side of the room, closer to the windows, so you have some sense of peace and quiet if you need it.

The Bricks and Skyline restaurants were both designed for kids-- family friendly in every regard, including the menu. My son loved the food but my husband and I did not. I would compare it to cheap Reno buffet quality food but hey, we didn't come for the food right? Service was good and the experience was made easy for families-- both positives!

I read some complaints about the pool area but I was totally fine! Decent sized with foam Lego pieces floating in the water for kids to play with. The life guards were very very attentive and took their job seriously. If you are looking for water slides and fountains, just make sure you go to the LEGOLAND Water Park, which we loved as well. The hotel pool is low key and actually the most relaxing place within the hotel.

The biggest perk of being a hotel guest is the immediate access to the LEGOLAND park and proximity to SEA LIFE. We loved coming back in the afternoon to take a quick break, and then return to the park in the evenings where the lines are so much shorter!

Chances are my LEGO obsessed son will want to visit LEGOLAND again soon and we will absolutely return to the hotel! It is worth the extra money!! I only wish they had a small spa so I can sneak away for 90 minutes while my husband and son are splashing around in the pool. Oh well! :) Highlighly recommend.

Room Tip: As my review indicated, during peak season, SKIP the valet and baggage service unless you want to wa...
3 Thank sklo2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A Trio to remember~
From the Gate greeter Ada welcoming US!!!! to the front desk receptionist Mynra the experience was mind blowing.!!Once you walk in you see a huge lobby where my 3 kids went running straight into to the lego bind. When we proceeded to the front desk we see this lady with a HUGE smile welcome us..Not only did she make us feel welcomed but she made our kids feel like nothing else matter but them. Giving us the information about the events taking place at the hotel, too giving us treasure hunt clues.
We were amazed on how much activities there were, and how soon our room was ready, We checked in around 130- to an adventure room that was fabulous. The area for the kids was excellent the kids had their own tv as so as the adult in our room. The decor on the walls were on point to the carpet on the floor. Well worth the money we spent.
The only thing i suggest is more waiters in skyline. Very poor service, but the food made up for it. That's the only one thing i was surprised about but besides that our experience was great, will never forget it. I do recommend that before u checkout and ask for bell assistance call ahead since they also lack bellmen, but its understanding since we went few days ago and it was busy.

Rodriguez family!!!!

2 Thank Prietos
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Expensive but kids love it. Definitely stay here for kids who love legos. service is oriented around the younglings. Felt very safe that you could just leave the juniors at the lounge for hours. 30 seconds walk to legoland park. avoid the hassle of finding a parking spot. rooms are on the smaller side. no on-site laundry facility. rooms and breakfast vouchers are designed for families with 2 kids. wish it has more flexible options. the beds are extra firm, which is to our favors. overall a great experience.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank charlesriver_10
Holtsville, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the Legoland Hotel from August 3 to August 5 with our just turned 7 year old boy/girl twins. My son is a LEGO fanatic; my daughter plays with them occasionally (she likes LEGO friends). Both of them loved the hotel. They loved the pit of LEGOs, the castle, all the lego models and especially the Whoopee cushion near the elevators.
The theming in the rooms was fantastic and the twins really enjoyed the bunk beds and having their own TVs with music channels.

As other reviewers have said, we were not allowed in the room until 4 pm. We checked in at 3:30 and had no issues, just the time waiting, which our kids used to play.

My husband especially loved the food at the Bricks restaurant. We only ate dinner there and there was a great variety of fresh, cooked food. We were surprised at how good it was for a buffet. As for the service: one night we had a very attentive waiter and the next night, not so much. I guess it depends on the crowds. We didn't find a big deal and we didn't have to wait to be seated either night.
For breakfast, I just got muffins or scones at the bar in the lobby. Muffins were on the tiny size for the price but they did offer 2 for 1 while were there on them.

In the room, I was surprised there were no alarm clocks. I know everyone has phones or iPods but I still like a clock on the night table. The bed was comfortable and everything looked clean. A few bumps on the wall near where people put their luggage was the only area that did not look brand new.

We had a Knights Room, which was on the first floor so request an Adventure or Pirate themed room for upper level floors. We did ride the elevators to check out the other floors and the kids enjoyed dancing on the way up and down.

We did not get a chance to check out the pool. It was actually on the cool side when we visited (a surprise to us), plus we had tickets for the Water Park.

Our daughter enjoyed the nightly entertainment but our son was more interested in building with all the bricks. They were too tired to stay up to watch the nightly movies at 8:30.

Our room overlooked the space between the park and the hotel, which was just a little grassy area. It was quiet and we saw a bunny both nights. I found the rooms to be pretty quiet considering how many children were in the hotel.

I think my children enjoyed the hotel more than the park!

The only issue is that this was fairly expensive during prime time so if you go, try to book during off season or find a good deal. The extra $$ each night for the little LEGO gift, WiFi and parking seems a little high to me, especially since the in-room LEGO is just a minifigure.

It is very nice to be able to walk to the park and get in a little early to go on some rides, especially since the lines at Legoland are usually pretty long.

All in all, we would recommend this hotel to any LEGO lover.

Room Tip: Book a Pirate or Adventure themed room for upper floors.
1 Thank Shelley C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The best perk was getting into the park an hour before it opens to the public, we had no queues for the first few hours which was amazing as it was crazy busy. The hotel rooms are very small for what you pay for, but as I said the kids still talk about the Lego animals in the pirate room. They loved the fart joke by the disco elevator and having a pool to retreat to at the end of the day. We stayed in the premium themed room and I am not sure what the additional cost was for, except for some more decals on the door. I thought there would be more Lego for the kids in the room. The buffet is ridiculously busy but they do offer a lot of variety and manage to keep the restaurant clean given the number of kids. One of the better buffets I have been to.

Room Tip: Themed rooms are a long way from the elevator and not sure worth the extra
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank stephsydney
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We came to Legoland to celebrate my daughter's 15th birthday (her request). Obviously, we do not recoomend this hotel if you don't have kids, because it is truly a kids paradise! My husband and I think it's a bit kitchy and over-the-top, and EXPENSIVE, but the kids loved it. The rooms are decent size, with a cute room within-a-room where theyhave bunks beds and a trundle for the kids, with their own tv set up. The service was exceptional - my kids wanted a glass of milk before bed, so we ordered room service, which was very prompt. And, the sweet waiter even brought a plate of cookies to go with it, saying he felt bad because the milk was so expensive! Even the elevators have their own little "surprise" (spoiler alert) - they're mini discos complete with music and disco ball lighting. Everyone, of courses, has to dance!

The Lego sculptures and designs throughout are amazing. And, who doesn't love building something out of Legos?!?!? The hotel is a creative, colorful museum in and of itself. And, yes, there are Legos everywhere for the kids to play with (or perhaps even yourself). There are numerous activities throughout the day and evening, and even a little scavenger hunt that ends with a little prize in your room. Clever!

The food, however, is extremely disappointing. Mass produced, over cooked, and either tasteless or over seasoned. Though they do offer something for everyone; the dinner buffet looks impressive - salad bar, Mexican station, Asian station, Meat station, Pasta station, Desserts, etc. It was all bland or inedible.

Our other complaint is with the misleading advertising about early entry privileges to the park. For starters, everything is marked with a different time - the website said the park opens at 10:00am, and the signs at the gates said 9:00 am. We were told that our early entry is for one hour - from 9:00 am to 10:00 am. However, when we arrived - only a very small section of the park opened for us hotel guests, and they let everyoune else in at 9:30, and still didn't open the rest of the park until 10.

Would we come again - yes. It is so enjoyable watching the glee in the little one's faces, and so happy they're not ours when they're throwing tantrums! Parents giving each other knowing, empathic smiles is worth a pirate's treasure. But, it comes at a price...

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WildRice50
Netherlands
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a great 4 night stay in this hotel. It is brand new and beautifully decorated. The rooms are of a good size. The breakfast was of very good quality. This is a hotel for families with young children so naturally it is not quiet in the public areas. Our kids are somewhat older (11&13) but still had a fantastic time. A few minor complaints, it is advertised that hotel guests have early access to the legoland park. This is only partly true, the early acces is only for a few kiddy rides while the most popular big rides remain closed. This came as a nasty surprise to us as the lines for these rides get incredibly long during the day.

Room Tip: While the elevators are great fun, make sure to get a room away from them if you want any rest. Anot...