“Nothing extraordinary...except the Legos” 3 of 5 bubbles

LEGOLAND California Hotel
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Anaheim, California
“Nothing extraordinary...except the Legos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We went there in June 2013 and the kids loved it. And we loved all the Lego models around the hotel!
Other than the Legos, there isn't really anything that's extraordinary to this hotel. It's just another hotel.
Since there were a lot of kids around, the hotel is noisy constantly.
Our room was on the second floor, so we hear the kids upstairs jumping around. The walls are very thin, we could hear all the people walking in the hallway all the time.
However, the kids loved the bunk bed and their little "bedroom".
We tried both the cafe and buffet, the food was OK but the service is really really slow! And I guess that's what all themed hotels are, the price for food is high.
The elevator ride was very fun!!!!
The staff are nice and helpful but a bit slow.
For the cost of the hotel, one would expects more than what it is.
I hope they can make some improvements as time goes on because they really had just opened.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank OctaneGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is my first TA review. I had to write because Legoland hotel put a serious kink in our vacation plans. I made reservations for a family suite in June for a trip end of July. I did this over the phone because I wanted to see if a suite would better fit our family of six or two adjoining rooms. All went well.. I thought.
A few weeks later my husband asked for the confirmation email. I realized I never received one. I call LL hotel. They finally found my reservation - they had misspelled my name- therefore my email did not through. I'm sure it bounced back but they never contacted me. While I am on the phone they send me confirmation- for the wrong dates!!! It was supposed to be 7/29-7/31, they booked 7/30-8/2 which is when we would be at Disney. I had booked a hotel near Disney the same day for 7/31-8/3.
They proceed to tell me they are sold out for my original dates!! And the wild goose chase began!

This was the fourth time I have called trying to get resolution on the mistake your hotel originally made.

It was not my problem that the person who took my reservation not only misspelled my name, but got the dates wrong.
I called and spoke to Haydyn who said the manager Rebecca Hackney would be calling me back the following day. That was Thursday. I did not get a call back. I called Friday and talked to Wally who sent Rebecca another email.
I called again on Saturday. No response.
I finally got an email from Ms Hackney Monday at 3pm saying she was sorry I wanted to change my dates but they were sold out. I explained the situation .. Yet again. She claimed to be clueless and said reservations were taken by a call center in Florida and they don't anything. She asked what kind of room I needed and dates etc. I responded. No response.

There are four children who were so excited about staying in the Legoland hotel. They are going to be crushed.

Legoland hotel staff and management needs to work on their communication. They left us scrambling to find another hotel on short notice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Frank I, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear of the inconvenience and frustration caused by the many errors made by my team. I sincerely apologize for the inconsistent service that you have received regarding your reservations. Please know I acknowledge that you should have never had to contact us more than once to have your issue resolved, especially since this was indeed our mistake. Also, I apologize that you were never followed up with and for the delayed service that you had received. Please know this is not the standard of customer service we uphold for our guests.

I surely hope your children have not been crushed by our mistake. I am personally going to book your reservation and make what needs to happen in order to have you and your family stay with us as you had originally planned.

Warm regards,
Frank Idris
Macau, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My son and me like playing lego very much. We were so excited to learn about the newly opened Legoland hotel when we were planning our trip to California.

We booked the package with family suite and entrance tickets. My son was overwhelmed the sight he saw the Legoland hotel. From outside to inside, from lobby to restaurant, from lift lobby to hotel room, you can see big and small lego everywhere.

The hotel room is well designed and big enough for family like us with 4 adults and 1 kid to live in. They greeted you with a box of lego in the room to let the children play with. Not to mention, the hotel is so close to Legoland that you can go in and out the Legoland from the early in the morning till it close with the day pass included in the package.

Overall, I really enjoy staying in the Legoland hotel with my son. My son always yelled for another turn to the Legoland hotel and Legoland after the trip.

The only one thing disappointing is the restaurant. The breakfast is really bad that we didn't eat much....

Room Tip: Family suite is good!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent two nights here at the end of our holiday as a treat for the kids. We were lucky that our room was ready earlier than the designated 4pm check-in time. We had a pirate themed room on the second floor with a balcony, which overlooked the theme Park entrance. The room was comfortable and the separate bunk space was good. Limited price-friendly on site food options so we went into Carlsbad and got some breakfast things at the supermarket. We did eat at Bricks restaurant after a 9 hour day in the theme park. We found there to be a good selection of food and there were vegies for the kids, though it would be quite expensive to eat this way every night. Our room was not made up after our first night, just the bin emptied and extra towels added to the basket in the bathroom. The disco elevator was fun. Great location, just a short stroll across to the Legoland park. The VIP passes for the kids were great giving us early entry and quick access to the more popular rides before the crowds hit the park. Checkout was a little slow. Overall a fun stay which our kids enjoyed.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the park, or on the opposite side to the pool. Not all rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The highlight of this hotel is the experience for the children. We found the best service in the restaurant with friendly buffet waitstaff, with a focus on kids yet offering salmon and other higher-end offerings. Our server, Ashley, was super friendly and even recognized us in the park the next day! The evening entertainment provided a nice break for adults to put their feet up and watch the kids build, be 'on stage' and overall have fun.
We were disappointed the TV in our room didn't work, the 24/7 store in the lobby was closed, the pool ran out of towels, the building Lego's are mainly just basic blocks, and you cannot charge items in the hotel store to your room. The long lines at 4pm check-in delayed the fun (just one front desk person working at the rush-time of 4pm,)
If you have kids that 'run' know there are two exits to the hotel lobby. There is also limited space in the hotel room to setup a crib/pack'n'play even with a queen adult bed.
Overall our stay in the hotel provided the memorable experiences we expected for our kids.

2 Thank JD P
Cerritos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros:
Legoland certainly knows what boys want. This is certainly a kid centered hotel. From the lobby to the room, from the floor to the ceiling, everything is designed with kids in mind. The lobby has a large tub of legos and there is a nightly competition of lego building. The boys can run around and be themselves, the staff will not embarass the parents to hush up their kids. The elevators have disco lights and mirror ball, playing popular funky disco tunes. This hotel certainly makes you feel that kids do rule here.

Cons:
This hotel is noisy, but it is full of laughters and fun. The rooms are certainly small but our kids love the themed decor, be careful not to break the lego pieces in the room, they will bill you. The food in the main dining is buffet style, average, don't expect too much. Again the decor makes up for the lack of food quality, having a breakfast and a dinner there is more than enough. Kids will certainly ask to stay there again, our kids are already planning on which theme room to stay at our next visit to Legoland there. So beware, parents with season pass...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hubert F
Studio City, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a very fun 3 night stay at the Legoland hotel. You can't get any closer than this to Legoland. We liked the early entrance to the park. We had a pirate themed room on the 2nd floor and the kids loved it. The elevator was fun, the play area was fun, the pool was nice and had some giant rubber Lego bricks to play with in there. It is a nice memory for our 2 kids, they want to go back already.

The main issue I have is the food. The cafe service was slow and the pastries at the cafe and at Bricks restaurant were really just bad(poor quality, almost like something out of a vending machine). I don't know what vendor they use for these, but the pastries need a serious upgrade. Also some of the food at Brick's was very good and some of it was marginal. My wife reported the drinks at the pool were not very good either. However, at least the staff were friendly and helpful (minus one waiter who never attended to us, even had to hunt him down to get the bill). Other than that one guy though everyone was nice to us.

The "treasure hunt" in the room turned out not to be that way really as only an adult could get the chest open, and there's no board game or books to check out as listed in their room guide, but on the plus side they had live Pirate entertainment at night. Slightly distracting to one of our kids was the Xbox 360, it is cool in a way, but if your kids are into video games, it might be too much of a distraction.

In summary, it's a fun nice new hotel with lots of fun for your children, they just need to upgrade the food quality.

Room Tip: 2109 near the entrance was quiet and fun to watch people getting ready to enter the park. Note: if...
1 Thank Socaltraveller1