“Down home, mate?”

Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Carlsbad Village Dr. & State St.
Centralia, Potomia
“Down home, mate?”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

An interesting and unexpected addition to the Carlsbad dining experience. Not too familiar with "real Australian" cuisine but we had a tasty selection of "bar foods" which I would equate to Spanish tapas/oriental dim sum/Japanese sushi or shasimi in terms of variety and span. Will be interested in eating a the Grill again and expanding our choice of menu selections.

Visited June 2013

Carlsbad, California
“Down Under in Carlsbad :)”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Finally tried this new restaurant that is located in the Village of Carlsbad.
We sat in the back patio and had a terrific dinner. Didn't really know what to expect but was very happy with our dinner. We had Australian wine that was very good. The BBQ Ribs were fall off the bone delicious. The Poke Tuna was Fantastic! Finished the dinner with Pineapple bread pudding and strawberries with Kiwi/ meringue with fresh vanilla whipped cream. Yum.....
This is a great addition to the downtown restaurants. I saw they have a very tasty menu for Sunday brunch too!

• Visited June 2013
Carlsbad, California
“I really want to like this place”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was very excited when this place opened. I have eaten here a couple of times and the food is very good. They have kept to a simple menu so I figured do less and do it better....unfortunately both times I have been there (both early evening they seem to have run out of things on the menu. They also run out of beers too, when you have a limited menu this limits you even further.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank sirkevin1967
San Diego, California
“Not what I'd hoped for and disappointing all round”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

The essence of Australian food is fresh and delicious based on quality ingredients. The Australian Grill didn't meet that standard. The Shepards Pie (their spelling) was too rich and too sweet and was overcooked. The lamb burger was just okay. The service was glacially slow. The potato wedges were overcooked and quite mediocre. Our food took 35 minutes to arrive. All in all a disappointing meal and disappointing service despite our waitress's attentiveness.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 0591TimS
Oceanside, California
“Not Good”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Been wanting to try this place so went with my wife and some friends. The beer selection is poor as it only serves Australian beer and Fosters is hardly Australian craft beer at that. I ordered the lamb burger med rare and it was delivered well done and thought it was a fluke until my friend had his served the same way. The bun was overwhelming for the small size of the patty. The homemade ketchup was not good in my opinion so the potato wedges that I ordered were dry as well. With so many gastro pubs, bars and other quality restaurants nearby I do not feel a need to return to give this place a second chance.

• Visited April 2013