“Fish Tacos, yum”

Rubio's
Ranked #67 of 343 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Families with children
Description: The first restaurant was opened in 1983 in San Diego by Ralph Rubio and his father, Ray, who started the fish taco phenomenon that spread across the nation. Today, Rubio’s menu has grown from The Original Fish Taco® to include additional chef-crafted seafood recipes that feature shrimp, wild salmon and ono. In addition to sustainable seafood, Rubio’s offers chargrilled chicken and steak, fresh made guacamole and salsas and sauces that are prepared daily.
carlsbad
“Fish Tacos, yum”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I converted a friend from Washington state to fish tacos. He thought I was insane. Now he eats more of them than me. Rubio's is consistently great food and great service.

Visited October 2012

Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Great food”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We ate here twice on our trip to CA (my first fish tacos ever!) and it was really good. We had fish tacos and the chips and guac - highly reccommend.

Visited August 2012
Encinitas, California
“My recommendation: AVOID! (if you really like Mx food).”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The reason I gave 2/5 (instead of 1/5) is bcs. I see that a few coworkers like it and the place has always people (which I dont understand).
What is good: For me? hardly anything, but I have heard is the concept of "healthy" the reason of their success. (yeap, overpriced tortillas filled with cabbage), So another reason I gave 2/5 instead of 1/5 is bcs. this Rubio's guy is a GENIUS, it is greediness disguised with the concept of Californian "be healthy" concept, but the worse part is that people fall for it. Kudos for this guy's intelligence. He makes MILLIONS of USD out of corn tortillas with cabbage.

Service: Quick service, but hardly a smile.

The actual menu review: Purposedly I asked for: 3 tacos different meat: chicken, carne asada and carnitas, side of rice and beans, here is the veredict:

Tacos: Honestly, quite hard to distinguish one from another, they were tortillas stuffed with cabbage, tomato and I think onions, or cheese, I cant remember because that is just the mask for the two tiny pcs. hidden inside of whatever you asked for (assuming is not "soy" meat), seriously hard to identify the difference between the three of them. Of course they are charged at a steak taco price, what they do is to use this very common American spice in their salsas, so the strong condiment (which is not used in authentic Mexican food), gives you the impression that you are actually tasting something. Isn't that brilliant??

Rice and beans: They sell you the concept of "add a side for say a dollar" (1 buck for Rubios? sounded too good) Ok, when you get your order, I honestly thought they were teasing me, they reached the point of being RIDICULOUS, they give you a plastic "salsa" container with lid with 10 rice grains inside, I have heard about small portions before, but in all seriousness, it is like they purposedly wanted to make mock out of customers, I took it as a non well received joke. So my ACTUAL review is only 0/5.

Visited May 2012
Vancouver, BC
“best fish taco”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We went here as they were voted one of the best places for a fish taco and they did not disappoint. Fast food, but good food- a good combination. We had the original fish taco and there was lots of other items you could order to spice it up if you wanted.

• Visited May 2012
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great fish tacos!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

While shopping in Carlsbad, we decided to lunch on Rubio's thanks to a friend's recommendation, The restaurant is nice (for the mall) and adecuate, with pleasent colors. The service was attentive too. We didn't expect much and we were surprised by the good tacos here. We ordered the original fish taco, and the garlic shrimp taco. The shrimp taco was the best! It had a garlic sauce, without being overpowering, that was delicious! It's too bad I don't have a Rubio's near by, really!
I also tried the green sauce shrimp taco, it was good but remind me too much of tacos at home and I wanted something different, also the green sauce was not so good with the shrimp, it could have been anything.
There was also a salsa station, but I didn't use it.
Nice, very delicious food.

• Visited May 2012