“Neat restoration of vintage hascinda”

Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park
Ranked #8 of 66 things to do in Carlsbad
Reviewed September 28, 2013

A short drive from downtown Carlsbad is the restored hascinda of Leo Carillo, who is best know as Pancho, the buffoon sidekick of the Cisco Kid, and popular actor in hopelessly corny, grade B films. This was a working ranch, built by Carillo as a weekend retreat from LA, where he and his many guests would kick back on weekends. The ranch land was made into a housing development, where we live and visit frequently, and the hascinda made into city park. There is a flock of peacocks, including an albino male, that are comfortable with close proximity to humans, that wander around the well maintained grounds and interesting plantings. In fact, they make the rounds of the neighborhood, and we find some in our yard from time to time. The ranch is, with good reason, a popular venue for weddings and other kinds of parties. There are also many walking trails that are well maintained and interesting. No food or drink available; bring a bottle of water and use sun block.
The rooms of the hascinda have been staged to their original appearance when Carillo and his guests were here.
When the city took over the property, the restoration was extensive and costly; the result worth the expense.
There is a small museum with some interesting photos, artifacts, including the costumes worn on the show.
Just in case you are old enough to have watched The Cisco Kid, bring a child along, so that when they ask who the Cisco Kid was, you can be reminded that you're an antique:)

1  Thank David B
There are newer reviews for Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was the ranch of Leo Carrillo, the actor who played Pancho in "The Cisco Kid" in the 1950's. Since that was a favorite TV show, we were eager to learn more about this man which we did from the video they showed in the Visitor Center. Then we wandered on our own since they have guided tours only on the weekends. Enchanted by the great number (I saw at least 40) of peacocks who were strolling everywhere. We even saw the white peacock. Disappointing that you can't go inside most of the buildings, and that particular day there was a wedding in the haciendo yard so we couldn't go there either. Still it was a pleasant way to be outdoors.

1  Thank VoyageurNewYork
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Easy access, free, lovely grounds to walk, kid friendly--lots of peacocks. Docents were great and provided a lot of information. Visitor center was closed because we arrived late but we will return to spend more time here next time we are in Carlsbad.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Kids, ages 3 to 12, seem to love this simple park and we adults loved it, too. We brought a picnic basket of food and ate at one of the tables while colorful pea hens and peacocks sat, walked and preened around us. There are 65 peacocks and some really unique buildings to explore. The white peacock is a rare sight, too. The park is free, parking is easy and it is only five minutes away from The Four Seasons Carlsbad, Leggoland, and more. You can get a great glimpse of this place on the Kid Travel video at Wondermint Kids website or their Youtube Channel. Here is the link to a blog post and a video to see if your kids would like it: http://wondermintkids.com/leocarrilloranch/

1  Thank ACG66
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'll admit, I really just went to Leo Carillo ranch because I heard about the peacocks roaming the grounds....and being a photographer I was excited for a fun project photographing these lovely birds. I was not disappointed. The peacocks are everywhere, and I even got to see 3 of them fanning all there feathers out. Aside from these colorful tenants, the grounds are beautiful, lovely gardens, and the buildings all have a tale to tell. It's really just a nice place to unwind and relax, walk the grounds, have a picnic, learn some history or just photograph peacocks. I'm lucky that I live just a short bike ride away so I'll definitely like to revisit, perhaps I'll bring my sketchbook next time....these peacocks are such great posers after all..

4  Thank Erika T