“Great Place For Kids to Picnic & Stroll” 5 of 5 bubbles

Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park
Ranked #8 of 61 things to do in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place For Kids to Picnic & Stroll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Kids, ages 3 to 12, seem to love this simple park and we adults loved it, too. We brought a picnic basket of food and ate at one of the tables while colorful pea hens and peacocks sat, walked and preened around us. There are 65 peacocks and some really unique buildings to explore. The white peacock is a rare sight, too. The park is free, parking is easy and it is only five minutes away from The Four Seasons Carlsbad, Leggoland, and more. You can get a great glimpse of this place on the Kid Travel video at Wondermint Kids website or their Youtube Channel. Here is the link to a blog post and a video to see if your kids would like it: http://wondermintkids.com/leocarrilloranch/

1 Thank ACG66

Encinitas, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I'll admit, I really just went to Leo Carillo ranch because I heard about the peacocks roaming the grounds....and being a photographer I was excited for a fun project photographing these lovely birds. I was not disappointed. The peacocks are everywhere, and I even got to see 3 of them fanning all there feathers out. Aside from these colorful tenants, the grounds are beautiful, lovely gardens, and the buildings all have a tale to tell. It's really just a nice place to unwind and relax, walk the grounds, have a picnic, learn some history or just photograph peacocks. I'm lucky that I live just a short bike ride away so I'll definitely like to revisit, perhaps I'll bring my sketchbook next time....these peacocks are such great posers after all..

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Erika T
Palm Springs
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Historic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

A nice place with several buildings to explore. Local park with beautiful buildings. Seems to be popular with the locals.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank josch1122
Carlsbad, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Peacocks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Look for the albino peacock. Nice trails for walking, but unfortunately you cannot bring your dog. Very nice Christmas Festival.

2 Thank LadyLola2986
California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Old California”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We liked seeing the old rancho California style with the adobe houses.
There is a short video to see about Leo Carrillo and his service to California as well as his movie career and a little history about the ranch.
We went in the middle of June and it was already hot in the Southern California sun, so bring water and sun protection. It is also very dry and dusty. There are docent lead tours on the weekends, but we went during a week day and explored with a map we got at the visitors' center.

3 Thank like2Ctheworld