“Really comfortable and fun stay in this great new hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Francisco, California
“Really comfortable and fun stay in this great new hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I spent five nights here while on a mixed business and pleasure trip. I had never been to, let alone heard of Carlsbad until we had to do this trip. When we arrived, the ocean view room that we had requested was not available, and the agent talked my friend into upgrading into an ocean-view suite for more money. She did. It was a large, very nicely appointed suite with 1.5 baths, a living room with a balcony and ocean view, kitchenette (with a microwave and sink) and a large bedroom with a balcony also overlooking the ocean. While we had to pay more for it, we had room! It was like living in a comfortable apartment. The bathroom with the sunken marble tub was my favorite part after a long day of shopping and walking. We also spent many hours walking on the rocky beach across the street; out near the pool working (yes) in the small covered two-seater cabana-like chairs; and relishing the very good service and food from Chandler's, the hotel restaurant.

The one drawback is that the hotel is separated from the beach by a relatively busy road, so if you leave your balcony door open for the sound of the waves, expect the car sounds, too.

This place is about 25 miles from downtown San Diego and very near a premium outlet mall where one can do some serious pecuniary damage, as well as near some delicious restaurants that were recommended by the wonderful staff.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Prudala,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay at the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. Whether here for business or pleasure, the resort offers something for everyone to enjoy. I am glad to see you enjoyed upgrading to one of our Ocean View Suites. With eight suites on property, we have some nicely appointed options should you require some additional space. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest again soon.

Director of Guest Experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had to have TA take down a prior glowing pending review, as I was very disappointed the other evening during Happy Hour. Yes, some of us really do want to have a "Happy Hour" (or two) and that usually involves common sense with the staff, or in this case, manager. First off, it is a gorgeous hotel, although we have not stayed there yet. Excellent parking, new hotel, outside pits, right next to the coast, etc. If you want a very nice Happy Hour, go there, but do me a favor first, talk to the manager before being seated, and I'll tell you why. I understand the concept of Happy Hour, business-wise, but what I don't understand is the areas this hotel marks as Happy Hour Zones. As my wife and I were being told where the Happy Hour "Zones" were (the usual immediate bar area, which holds about 20 people, another area 10 feet away of high tables holding maybe 12 people, and a firepit area outside, around the corner. Sounds simple enough. But when you go in and there are 4 tables open at 530pm 10 feet from the bar, but did not "qualify" for the "zone", and 5 feet further, I counted 9 open booths, I think about 20 feet from the bartender, but those are "no fly zones", it gets confusing. We just about left when we first heard the booths were not available. They are premium, but we understand it is a money maker for the dinner crowd, but just about all the booths were open at 530pm, I counted 9 open. The 4 - four person tables between the booths and 5 feet from the bartender were completely abandoned with no open there (or the time prior I went), as no one could go there either for Happy Hour. Outside, we almost opted for the Happy Hour firepit, but dropping in the middle of an animated group of 6 ladies with space for a few more, was not too inviting. Mind you, you have to exit the restaurant, go down about 20 feet outside, to the Happy Hour pit. All the dozen tables around the pit were not zoned for the Hour. I texted a friend and said forget coming, as she was running late and I ran out of patience sitting in the booth and paying full price. (and a buzz-kill during our 20th anniversary beginning of the weekend). I saw another couple look as off as we did, trying to make sense of the Hour's locations. They eventually just promptly got up and left without ordering after they moved twice. They had the problem we did, ticked off, but liking the ambiance, not sure what to do! The staff, to their credit, did very well dancing around the issue, and looked concerned we would take it out on them with less of a tip. So, my recommendation is to call or talk to the manager, pressure him/her to make common sense out of the area, let us come for two hours, get a buck or two knocked off the drinks, make sure most of the booths are open for the dinner crowd soon to come, and zone the Hour better. To be 20 feet from the bartender and not in the Zone, but if we were out the door, 100 feet away, near the pit, we would be okay for the Zone, just does not make sense and ticks people off. Most of us will stay 2 hours, but the three times I have been there I have never seen the booths completely full, maybe always having a good half dozen wide open. I only had one beer and refused anything else last night, as I vote with my feet. My wife cut it short too. Another table of two just left without anything. There are plenty of Hours around North County, trust me. I know of our party and the other that probably will not come back. Manager, was this really what you wanted? 9 booths wide open, but turning away people makes no sense. It was the first time I was also told I could "wait" for seats to open for Happy Hour. How odd a business concept. And here I am posting this review on a Saturday? What a waste of everyone's time, and mine!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear CarlsbadJohn_M,

Thank you for your candid feedback of your recent visit to our resort. With its delicious coastal cuisine, attentive service and panoramic views, Chandlers is quickly becoming one of the premier dining locations in Carlsbad. Our happy hour is from 4:30 to 6:30pm, daily. Happy hour is served at the bar, the tall communal tables inside the restaurant and outside at the fire pit and the tall cocktail tables surrounding the pool. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Everything was perfect from beginning to end. From our arrival and the valet taking care of my surfboard, the warm greeting at the front desk, to the quality of the suite overlooking the beach. The balcony was a great place for a cocktail and to watch the sunset over the pacific ocean. We hit it right as the weather in January can be tricky- the night was only slightly cool - call it sweater weather - we were able to have dinner in the outside patio of Chandlers. The Sea Bass and Steak were excellent as well as the grilled to perfection Asperagus. Went surfing at dawn, called down to valet fived minutes before i needed the car and everything was ready for me. Did not have breakfast at the hotel but in nearby Encinitas, a pretty cool little coastal town with pleanty of coffee and breakfast choices. Only downfall is we didn't have time to enjoy the pool, which on a warm or hot day, i'm sure is a great place to relax. Would stay again next time i'm in town.

Room Tip: Stayed in the two room suite overlooking the ocean. Although the room also overlooked Carlsbad Blvd...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Rod A,

Thank you for the great five star review! We are pleased to see that your experience with us was a seamless one. I am also glad to see you had a chance to enjoy our restaurant, Chandlers. The sea bass is quickly becoming one of Chandler's signature offerings and is one of my personal favorites. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have traveled annually to Carlsbad for 16 years. This was my first experience at this Hilton. It is the best kept secret in Carlsbad. Amazing staff. I will for sure return when I get the chance. I highly recommend this Hilton. Especially, modern decor.

• 3 of 5 stars
Dear Karen L,

Thank you for the great review of your recent stay with us at the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa! We have been open for seven months now and appreciate your feedback. Please tell your friends about us and we will see you the next time you are in Carlsbad.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed one night during a business trip, so I didn't have a chance to use the pool, but had a wonderful visit. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Only negative was that room service menu and times were a little limited, but this is a new property, so maybe Hilton is still working on this.

• 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear mls724,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. We are glad to see that you enjoyed the resort and our wonderful staff. I am sorry to see that the room service options were disapointing. Do know we are about to roll out a new room service menu with different options available. We hope to welcome you back as our guest again soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently stayed here for a business trip. The room itself was great! Comfortable beds, nice flat screen tv and the other usual amenities you would expect to find at a Hilton. The food at Chandler's was great too! Loved the fish tacos and the beef filet. Being right across the street from the ocean is a big plus too. I would definitely stay there again.

• 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Pete M,

Thank you for your great review of the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. I am glad to see you enjoyed the room and Chandlers. We hope to welcome you back as our guest again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was our first stay there and many more will follow. Our room great. It had a small frige and microwave and came with a very nice balcony with a full ocean view. The hotel is perfectly located in a quiter area but is only a short drive or complimentary shuttle ride from anything you might need. What impressed us the most was the service, they are really eager to make your stay perfect. From the moment you pull in at the valet you have that sensation that everything is being taking care off for you. Front desk staff was wonderful and extremely helpfull when in need of dining options other than Chandlers which is great for dinner or a little snack by the pool. Housekeeping stocked the bathroom with extras when they noticed there was 4 of us before we had a chance to ask and arranged my daughter's teddy bear and doll on her pillow daily. Room service is the fastest I've ever seen. The ladies had a spa day and apparently had a wonderful time. After our first day there we canceled the reservation we had made at our regular post holidays getaway in Palos Verde and extended our stay a couple days. Many thanks to all the wonderful people there especially Scott and Michael.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Jean Francois,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us at the new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. It was a pleasure to have you and the family as our guests. The entire team here appreciates your kudos and we look for to your next trip to Carlsbad. Until then...