Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
$182
$160
Sheraton.com
$148
$134
$131
$119
Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
$169
BestWestern.com
Ocean Palms Beach Resort(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
$215
$99
$92
Agoda.com
$123
$101
Agoda.com
HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
$166
$147
Travelocity
$309
  • Restaurant
West Inn & Suites Carlsbad(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
$159
Official Hotel
1,520 results
All reviewsacross the streetchandlers restaurantocean viewbeautiful hotelpool areafire pitself parkingoceanfront rooman upgraderesort feenice poolsan diegoshuttle servicebeach accessshort drivefree shuttlefamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This new Hilton is a beautiful property with a great view of the Pacific Ocean. The front desk staff is very pleasant and accommodating. However, some of the improvements that could be made are as follows: two days in a row, we had to call the front desk to have our room made up as it hadn't been cleaned before 3 pm on either day. Also, cleaning supplies had been left in the room both days and one day one of the trash cans hadn't been emptied. The bath towels are the best I've ever seen in a hotel. Very soft and "bath-sheet" sized. The restaurant is just ok. The staff still seems to be a little confused as to which section they are responsible for. The menu is rather limited and a bit on the pricey side. The staff was pleasant but the pacing was a bit over aggressive. They wanted to clear dishes too hastily. Overall, this hotel has great potential. The valet parking attendants are top notch and welcome you warmly and pleasantly.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 6, 2012

What a relaxing weekend! From the time we checked in we were pampered. Front desk was so nice and helpful, poolside staff courteous and attentive. The rooms were spotless and gorgeous. My kids want to go back every weekend. There were two weddings and we still felt like we had the resort to ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The property is really nice, wonderful decor and very laid back. The grounds are well groomed and very clean. Front desk staff was very friendly and went out of there way to find a room that fit our needs.

Outside pool is heated to 83 degrees, had a zero entry for kids, and a separate tiny kiddy pool.
Nice plush towels by the pool but grab a recliner early since there are not enough to go around.

Hotel has a "technology center" which includes four modern computers and printers which are free to use.

The beach is located across the street which is a short walk. Beware there are many steps to climb up and down.

Hotel has self parking which is located in the rear of the hotel. Cost is $12 for self parking and $16 for valet. Entry from parking lot into hotel was near rooms ending in 12-16.

Rooms are nice but not luxurious. Bathrooms are large but rooms are on the small side. Water pressure was horrible...a trickle.

Breakfast in Chandlers had a large selections of delicious food. The rest. opens at 630a but the buffet is not available until 7am. Service was outstanding.

Wonderful atmosphere eating out on the patio.

Ocean front rooms are even numbers ending 02-20. Hotel hallways are warm. A plus when returning from the pool.

Room Tip: Ocean front end in even numbers 02-20.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gerry H
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was our first stay. My husband and I wanted to stay near the beach and were excited to see that it was oceanfront. The beach however is across the Pacfic Hwy and overlooking a camp ground with campers, trailors, etc. So we ended up hanging out at the pool instead of treking our way down to the beach. There is a coffee pot in the room and microwave but it is hidden underneath the TV stand. There are also fancy lights around the bed that take a phone call to the front desk to figure out how to turn it off. The hotel is new so my guess is they will either have the front desk staff inform guests at check in or add a small sign letting people know hot to turn off the fancy florecent bed lights. The pool was great offering food & cocktail service and management even handed out complimentary otter freeze pops. The lobby is georgeous and reminded me of a fancy Vegas boutique hotel, speaking of Vegas the prices are higher than most of the nicer casino hotels in Las Vegas. The hotel was packed so they must be doing something right, still a thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our family stayed here for 5 nights, July 2012. Two connecting rooms with two queen beds; 2 adults, 6 children. We have visited Carlsbad several times and chose this hotel over others based solely on its "new" factor. This was a CA road trip, so we had access to our car.

The hotel is located extremely close to Legoland, the beach, and a reasonable distance to the Zoo and other attractions. Parking $ at the hotel is reasonable and since we opted out of a view, we were able to park our car in a lot with close, convenient (room keyed) access to a side door. Our rooms were located on the 3rd floor and as others have stated, the rooms are quiet.

We arrived on a very busy weekend. Due to the "newness" of the hotel, even the staff admits that they are understaffed and quickly trying to learn the ropes. We had no problem with check-in and everyone we met upon arrival was friendly and helpful, albeit a bit frazzled by the activity. Our 4 and 2 year old received little stuffed Pelicans and were absolutely delighted!

The room is nice. It is new but does manage to feel homey and does not have a stark/cold feel to it. The bathroom is a good size, not huge by any means (single sink), but plenty of space. I dislike shower curtains, so I am very happy that they have a walk-in glass shower. There are two big hooks for hanging robes/clothes/towels.

There are a couple drawbacks to this hotel bathroom: there is a wire "shelf" for bar soap, but the soap often slips through the bars; body wash would work best. Our kids all shower, but we do have a 2 year old who normally bathes and took a LOT of convincing to try it at an unfamiliar location - so parents, be aware, shower only unless you're in a suite!

The bathroom offers a little black "makeup" washcloth which was a cute touch. The Peter Roth toiletries are nice and suitable for men/women and very gender neutral. I thought it odd that the shampoo is so much larger than the conditioner...smallest containers I've seen at a hotel, I had to request extra. No way that 4 people in a 2 queen room can share one tiny shampoo and conditioner! While I understand that this is probably to reduce waste for people staying one night, housekeeping should be aware of occupancy and adjust accordingly. (Same for towels!)

The beds are comfortable with very substantial pillows! There is a microwave and fridge which was very handy. There is in-room coffee machine as well with the usual little sachets of coffee for single serve brewing.

The pool is fantastic with plenty of space and seating even on a crowded weekend. During the week, the traffic slowed down and it was much more enjoyable. Plenty of towels and even on the busiest day, the towels never ran out. Our toddler loved the walk-in pool.

** On Sunday, the staff removed ALL of the umbrellas from the pool area for the entire day to accommodate a large event on their lawn. While the staff was super apologetic, my husband and I did agree that it was ridiculous and unacceptable. This resort should have standard umbrellas available to the pool area and separate umbrellas for their function space. An "Oceanfront Resort" should not have to sacrifice the comfort of one group of guests for another. During the rest of our stay, the umbrellas remained at the pool. Hilton, buy more umbrellas for those with sun sensitivities/small children.**

The food is average, not the best I've had. The in-room menu is quite small, particularly the children's menu. I notice that the food was inconsistent. One night the kids' mac 'n cheese was dry, the next night it was almost soupy.

Another inconsistency that I noticed was in housekeeping. One of our rooms had a soap dish on the bathroom counter, the other did not. The first day they were good about restocking toiletries, but on the third day, they did not restock at all. On one day, housekeeping made up all the beds and cleaned the bathrooms, but only stocked towels in one bathroom. The bathroom in the adjoining room had zero towels. I assumed that when the housekeeper made up the room, perhaps her cart ran out of fresh towels and she forgot to add them later.

I called housekeeping to ask for towels and explained that we had no towels, a man arrived with two bath towels. When I explained that the room had ZERO towels, he tried to explain that two bath towels would be sufficient. I told him there were four people in a room and he left to get two more bath towels. No hand towels, no face towels, and I could tell he was irritated. ??? Housekeeping also forgot to replenish the paper coffee cups in both rooms - I had to ask room service to add a couple of coffee cups to our dinner tray for the next morning.

The spa was nice but very small. The relaxation area was indoor/outdoor and could use some magazines. My daughters had facials which they enjoyed and I had a massage which was nice.

Overall the service and attitude of the employees is top-notch and makes up for the one grumpy dud in housekeeping.

The hotel is new and fresh, the pool is great, the service is friendly, the rooms are nice and quiet.
Hopefully they can appropriately staff and supply this resort to get it running a bit smoother.

An on-site laundry is always appreciated - this hotel does not offer such an amenity, but there is a laundromat at Carlsbad Village that is well maintained by the owner. It is in an Albertson's shopping center and the loads are very quick - we did a bit of laundry (swim suits) and picked up some groceries for our room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family