“Not much for the buck.Extended stay finds it hard to honor promises.”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Extended Stay Carlsbad finds it very difficult to honor prearranged agreements in regards to my mom's card being on file to pay for my room when when I visit her. She lives in an assisted living facility across the street and can't make it across the street due to her blindness and I don't drive.
My mom, my self and the manager came to an agreement about one year ago so she would never have to make that trip again. Her eyes are much worse now. When I call the reservation line they insist on having her sign the paperwork since it is her card. I called the front desk directly and the room was booked in her name. Far too much hassle and ownstress for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank rascalcat16

Reviewed July 2, 2014

After checking in we found our bed to have dirty sheets! Since it was late at night, front desk lady could not leave desk (only one there), so we had to change the bed sheets ourselves. We should have just left then when we saw the mattress protector had different stains than the sheets! Bathroom sink leaked water underneath that got all of our stuff wet. Oh, and the tub was dirty too. Kitchen was not really stocked--only one dirty pot, one fork & knife, and only two of everything else. Dresser drawers were dirty--don't put your clothes away there. Dirty common areas. "Breakfast" was sad. No hot tub. Only good thing I can say is that the bed was comfortable (as long as you could get past the whole dirty thing). And after all of these problems, when we checked out...they took $14.45 off our one night room bill! SAVE YOURSELF possible health problems and a LOT of STRESS and STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DanyelleTraveler
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The cleanliness issues in your room that you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I regret to hear about the issue with your bathroom sink. I will meet with our maintenance staff to resolve that issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I also apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be useful to us as work to continually improve our breakfast selection. The staff and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope that you will contact me directly, at clb2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We were there for the Memorial Day weekend to go to Legoland,

The place is decent, even though it's right next to the freeway, we didn't hear any traffic at all during the time we were there.

This is a budge hotel, so we didn't expect otherwise. The service is very minimal but again, it's a budget hotel so we didn't care too much. The price on the other hand, isn't that much of a budget hotel price, yet it could be because it's a big holiday weekend.

The room was clean yet there's the strange smell that lingered the whole time we were there. Don't know if it's something that someone is cooking or cooked there.

Overall this place is OK.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My Daughter, Wife, and I stayed at the Extended Stay property in Carlsbad Ca in June 2014 based on its proximity to Legoland. The property is located a short drive from Legoland and is also close to other attractions such as the California Surf Museum, Oceanside Pier, and antique row in downtown Carlsbad. It is an attractive building and the rooms were nice with a kitchen setup and full size refrigerator. The pool area also looked nice although we did not use the pool. There is also a Denny across the parking lot and other dining opportunities within walking distance.

They also have grab and go breakfast which consists of pre-packaged muffins, cereal bars, fruit, and coffee.

Nothing fancy but certainly fine for your vacation basecamp.

Room Tip: Do not park under the trees on the backside of the property, they have little cherry like fruits tha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you were pleased with our location, our grab-and-go breakfast and your fully equipped kitchen. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with another enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel butts right up against the Interstate 5, the room was very noisy due to the freeway. The bed, for being a hotel that one would spend longer periods of time in, was not at all comfortable. When I checked in there was not one person in the lobby or at the front desk. At another time I needed to stop at the front desk and again there was no one there.

Room Tip: Demand to not be in the rooms that butt up against the freeway
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BrownsEnglishToffee
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the freeway and that our staff was unavailable to attend to your needs. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I am addressing these issues with the entire team and will be working to ensure that we enhance our offerings as well as customer service moving forward.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at clb@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel while we were looking for a home. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The room was fine, the bed was comfortable and the cooking amenities were ample. If we had any needs, they were quickly met by the staff. The early morning coffee and snack items were fine. The hotel is located just off Interstate 5 making it easy to get to any shopping or attractions. We received our money's worth at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your great review of our property. I am glad that you liked our grab-and-go breakfast and the service our staff provided. As well, it is great to read that our hotel's location was convenient for your needs, close to shopping and restaurants nearby.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Sorry, but part of the value is grab and go breakfast. If you say you're open until 9:30am, I better find everything ready to go AT 9:29, 9:27, 9:26, etc. Don't get lazy and tear down at 09:25. That's at least $10 of lost value. And this is systemic. This happened in Phoenix a few times over a 2 month stay as we moved/closed on a house, and it happened this morning at the Sorrento Mesa (San Diego County) location. This is NOT ok. You offer something, STICK TO THE SCHEDULE.

Room Tip: Get a handicap room if you can
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Michael - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast was put away early throughout your stay. In response, I will be training the staff on how to manage their morning schedule better so that this is not an issue moving forward.