“Not as good as they think”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you like very hard beds, old worn out pillows, rugs that leave your wihite socks black on the bottom, window so dirty you can't see our clearly, you're going to love this one. My wife and I are not neat niks and just did not feel confortable about the cleanlyness, Other small things like ceiling fire sensor hangin from ceiling, Room cards that had to be re-set daily, Lost luggage cart they couldn't find. I don't think their executives would stay here. Just worn out!

Room Tip: Find a clean room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ronald a
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that the room cleanliness was not up to your, and quite frankly our standard either. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am having the carpets shapooed and having our maintenance department check the smoke detectors in every room on the property to be certain that they are all property attached. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at James at jburpo@extendedstay.com,, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been staying here off and on for a couple of years. Rooms are nice, newly renovated. Staff is execellent, nice and freindly. They bend over backwards for anything. Nice to have a kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, 2 stove burner and sink. They have Contental breaksfast with coffee, muffins, oatmeal, breakfast bars and fruit in the morning. It is located so conveniently from downtown Carlsbad. Walking distance to many restaurants, clubs and local stores. Only a 10 minute walk to the beach. Lots to do here. The prices are excellent for everything you get. Carlsbad is bike friendly with lots of bike lanes to the beach and around town. I wouldnt stay anywhere else in the San Diego Area. Thanks for everthing Extended Stay America, Carlsbad Village by the Sea

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve_G55
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad to hear that our staff was so friendly and would do whatever you needed to make your stay comfortable. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I think they've remodeled this location since the rooms seem upgraded from previous experience. Room was clean and well maintained. But since a room is primarily a place to stay I cannot recommend them since the bed was the hardest bed I've ever slept on. I cannot begin to understand why they picked a bed this hard - no other hotel, motel or inn of whatever quality has been this bad. They really should think more carefully about the most important piece of the room, since getting a good night sleep is what it's all about right?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you found our beds too hard. In response to your feedback, We've been replacing our older mattresses with new pillow top mattresses. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me at or jburpo@extendedstay.com or clb@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We are currently staying in this hotel. The "kitchen" has two of some things- its sparse. One of our spoons has a burn mark in the center- and it doesn't take a dummy to realize it is from cooking heroin. I get it- people do drugs in crappy hotels, but for crying out loud, don't give that spoon to the next guy! The bed blankets and comforter are itchy and yucky. Not much to brag about here. Bummer.

Another thing - exposed electrical wiring. Husband says if we touch it we'll get electrocuted. It's scary. The breaker box was also painted shut. We made sure to get it open just in case someone gets electrocuted! What the heck? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Also- they don't give you anything- no shampoo. And pool towels are disgusting, shredding, with holes in them. One of them was actually a towel cut in half. SERIOUSLY?

Found a dirty wadded up Kleenex under the mattress. And we've only been here a few hours- can't wait to see what the next few days bring...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatieSchneider
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issue with the towels, wiring and flatware is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am have our management team inspect the rooms for those issues this week to ensure they are not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at jeusebio@extendedstay.com, clb@extendedstay.com or jburpo@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a great hotel and you cant beat the price! My wife and I are from Carlsbad but now live in Arizona. Typically we stay with family or friends when we’re in town but now that we have a little girl (1 ½ yrs old) we find it easier for us, and our family, to have our own space.
Growing up in Carlsbad I’ve always noticed this hotel tucked away in the cul-de-sac but never really gave any notice. Now that they have remodeled the exterior and interior they’ve turned this once drab space in to a shining gem.
As my title says its all about location and this hotel has it. Walking distance to everything Carlsbad has to offer. It’s a bit of a distance to the beach so if you’re trucking all your kids stuff, and in my case, kids stuff, and my surfboard. My suggestion is bring a folding wagon or cart. That might be a good thing the hotel could offer their guest. Have a couple wagons on hand to loan out to guest with families. Hopefully they read this and pick up a few of them at Costco.
As far as the rooms they were very nice. I noticed a couple things they could have improved which is the reason I’m giving them a 4 rather then a 5 rating. If you’re going to update an entire hotel with new furniture, carpet, paint and so on. Why not get rid of the dirty popcorn ceilings? Yes I know there is extra cost involved, but to have all brand new then look up to see an old, dirty popcorn ceiling threw me off. The other thing that stood out to me was the bed. They had new, modern looking bedding but no bed skirt. The box spring was a bit beat and it really stood out. This is an easy fix which would make the room so much nicer. The rest of the room was great. The kitchen came in handy since we had the baby and could easily fix her meals.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel doesn’t have a regular cleaning schedule so if you want your room turned its by request. We never requested the cleaning service but did request towels and dish soap for the kitchen now and then. They were there in a flash with no waiting.
If you’re like us and arriving via your own car I would suggest bringing your bikes if you have them. The hotel is walking distance to just about everything but next time we’re bringing the bikes for sure. There are a couple places in town that rent bikes for the day or week so that’s always an option as well.
We had a great stay at Extended Stay and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cozydiver
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We appreciate your ideas and feedback; I am going to see about possibly incorporating them in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Very clean and courteous staff. Grab and go breakfast works well for the on the go traveller. Very near the beach. Pool onsite is also a big plus for the kids. There is also a fitness center onsite for those who want to exercise. Parking is also abundant.

Room Tip: Rooms on either floor is good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Edsan_12
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Smoke seems to permeate the room, even though smoke free according to clerk. Pet friendly, with dogs all over. However, if you don't want to share your hotel with animals, this is not so pleasant. The pool is nice, but no hot tub/spa. Not sure of the ratings, but only soap is provided in the bathroom, without shampoo/conditioner. Small kitchen is nice. Beds are firm, but seem to be beaten up already, for a newly renovated/constructed hotel is surprising. Free breakfast munchies are nice.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter, and nearer the parking, but freeway noise may travel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was happy to read your remarks about the pool and complimentary breakfast; however, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and a comfortable place to stay. We apologize if the dogs and designated smoking rooms kept you from being able to consider our hotel a "home away from home". It is our goal to ensure that our guests are not disturbed throughout their stay and it saddens me to hear you were.