“One of the best ones in the chain.”

Motel 6 Carlsbad - Village
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Diego, California, United States
“One of the best ones in the chain.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm self-employed and travel frequently, so I'm often in need of a cheap room. More often than not, that means staying at a Motel 6. Their quality can vary from location to location, however, and I'm always a little hesitant when I'm staying at one for the first time. Some are not in the safest locations, and some are in pretty serious disrepair.

I'm happy to report that this is one of the good ones. In fact, I've stayed at just about every Motel 6 from San Diego to Los Angeles, and the Carlsbad location is certainly in my top 3.

First of all, the location is perfect. Right next to a freeway, but only a few blocks from the ocean, and a beautiful little coastal town. There are plenty of food options around, including a Denny's and a Carl's Jr. practically in the parking lot. But, you are missing out if you don't travel a couple of blocks to little hole-in-the-wall simply called NY Pizza. As a former New Yorker, I can attest that this is the real deal, some of the best Italian food I've had on the West Coast. But I digress.

I found the room clean and comfortable, but it was the staff that really stood out. They were very friendly and attentive, even knocking on my door at one point to see if I would like some fresh towels. I was also allowed to check in a couple of hours before their stated check-in time, which is a rarity.

All in all, I can't recommend this location highly enough. A clean room at a great price in a wonderful little town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Eric G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Dirty room 104. Hair on the pillows, kinda yellowish stain on sheet, urine smell, i dont think it was cleanrd but that was the last room so we took it.

So we hat tospemd the night with traces of some darkhaired female befote us in the same bed lol... nasty experience. Will not stay in future.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank VinceLombard
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June 2012. The motel is clean, simple and basic. No frills. We paid $55.99 a night online. It is 4 blocks from the beach and loads of shopping, restaurants and bars within walking distance. It is right off highway 5. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dee2518
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Have stayed here numerous times. However, this time was disappointing. Although the room was clean, the motel was quite noisy. The first night someone was banging on our door at 2 a.m. The next morning a woman was getting arrested in the parking lot! The next night there was a large party of people hanging around on the grass outside our window in the middle of the night. Will not stay here again, as safety is my top concern.

Room Tip: Asking for a quiet room away from office and ice maker didn't get us what we wanted this time.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AndeaAnderson
Los Banos
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The room was clean, no problems and they take pets.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dougone0
Temecula, California
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We chose this property to stay in one night for my husband to run in the Carlsbad marathon. It was perfect for a one night, just need a bed and a shower for cheap, stay. Noise from the freeway was minimal, but you could hear other (rude) guests coming in late at night, and my husband said he was awakened hearing a staff asking a possibly intoxicated guest to leave. The area and hotel did feel safe however. The room was clean, and lacking any amenities (which should be expected and was no problem for us)- no clock, no shampoos, not even a picture on the wall. The towels were pretty awful (small, thin, and scratchy), but they served their purpose just fine. The bed was very firm, but the mattress didn't have craters in it like most worn out motel matresses. The staff was very courteous and friendly. They gave us late check out so my husband could shower after the race, and graciously provided towels and trash bags for cleaning throw up out of my car (poor hubby). We had no complaints and would definitely consider this property again, especially for it's proximity to the marathon start line (really easy getting back and forth to it, and also could've walked to at least one of the spectator points).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank symphonyofblasse
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 12, 2011

our room was clean and quiet, no problems at all. will stay again.

Room Tip: i requested a quiet room away from office and it worked out great.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family